LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2012, 07:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
What was Cashback like?
A bit pretentious. It's basically an excuse for lots of female nudity (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It's okay, and worth your time, I'd say (especially as it's only 13 minutes long).
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:31 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Well Monday was all hospital and doctors, yesterday was just blah and this morning/afternoon was spent baking but have finally just watched The Damned (1963) and am now watching The Shame of Patty Smith (1962), I need to pick up the pace as my holiday will be over before I know it!
Bet you've got that damn theme tune of The Damned buzzing around your head all day, what is it, 'black leather, black leather..!' Really cool film that, like The Delinquents meets Quatermass
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A bit pretentious. It's basically an excuse for lots of female nudity (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It's okay, and worth your time, I'd say (especially as it's only 13 minutes long).
There's also a feature length version which uses the stuff from the short as fantasy sequences.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Most of the HK films I've seen have mainly been Shaw Bros. stuff, so anything non-Shaw is probably going to be something I haven't seen!
Dude be sure to see Mad Detective (Masters of Cinema, Blu-Ray/DVD)... Here's what I wrote on the excellent HK Cinema blog A Hero Never Dies about the film...

Stylish, intelligent and complex enough to demand multiple viewings, Johnny To and Wai Ka-Fai's 2007 film, the newest arrival on my list has in it's short life become an instant classic. For the few reading this who haven?*t yet seen the film, it's best to go in knowing as little as possible - The Sixth Sense and Fight Club toyed with a similar plot device but Mad Detective avoids the join-the-dots approach to story-telling and makes its audience do its own detective work but once you surrender yourself to the film's hallucinatory weirdness you'll begin to wonder why all films aren't made like this...

The above text was taken from a list of Top 10 Favourite HK films vistors to A Hero Never Dies were asked to contribute - it's a great place to discover HK Cinema...
bdc and bizarre_eye@Cult Labs like this.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:41 AM
Active Cultist

I'm going to vouchsafe an opinion that won't be too popular around these parts, but, hey, I speak from the heart. Halloween II is shit. Honestly, I watched it last night for the first time in about 20 years and was shocked at how poorly directed and acted it was. Zero suspense, endless tiresome jump-scare scenes (a veritable coach station of Lewton buses if you will) - they even screwed up Myers by having him continually in every frame. The gore was poorly done and crushingly desperate, Donald Pleasance's overacting went beyond ham into the realm of madness. This film was a dog upon release and a dog it remains, God only knows what parts 4-6 are like - happily It's doubtful I'II ever find out. BTW If I missed any merit here, please come on and defend the film, I'd be interested to hear what positive aspects were enjoyed, seriously.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:00 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
There's also a feature length version which uses the stuff from the short as fantasy sequences.
Thanks Paul - I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Dude be sure to see Mad Detective (Masters of Cinema, Blu-Ray/DVD)... Here's what I wrote on the excellent HK Cinema blog A Hero Never Dies about the film...

Stylish, intelligent and complex enough to demand multiple viewings, Johnny To and Wai Ka-Fai's 2007 film, the newest arrival on my list has in it's short life become an instant classic. For the few reading this who haven?*t yet seen the film, it's best to go in knowing as little as possible - The Sixth Sense and Fight Club toyed with a similar plot device but Mad Detective avoids the join-the-dots approach to story-telling and makes its audience do its own detective work but once you surrender yourself to the film's hallucinatory weirdness you'll begin to wonder why all films aren't made like this...

The above text was taken from a list of Top 10 Favourite HK films vistors to A Hero Never Dies were asked to contribute - it's a great place to discover HK Cinema...
Thanks Wes.

I've seen Mad Detective and have the excellent Eureka blu-ray release. It's indeed a really great film, and the weirdness works really well in what is essentially a hard boiled crime drama.

I'll have to check out your review and explore that site, too.
Wes likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I'm going to vouchsafe an opinion that won't be too popular around these parts, but, hey, I speak from the heart. Halloween II is shit. Honestly, I watched it last night for the first time in about 20 years and was shocked at how poorly directed and acted it was. Zero suspense, endless tiresome jump-scare scenes (a veritable coach station of Lewton buses if you will) - they even screwed up Myers by having him continually in every frame. The gore was poorly done and crushingly desperate, Donald Pleasance's overacting went beyond ham into the realm of madness. This film was a dog upon release and a dog it remains, God only knows what parts 4-6 are like - happily It's doubtful I'II ever find out. BTW If I missed any merit here, please come on and defend the film, I'd be interested to hear what positive aspects were enjoyed, seriously.
That's what I thought first time I watched it. Then I got the 30th anniversary blu ray, and quite liked it the second time round.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 4th October 2012, 08:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I'm going to vouchsafe an opinion that won't be too popular around these parts...
I hear ya, and much of what you said is true more or less - no one would say it's a classic - Season of the Witch is a better film, but I suspect a lot of us here grew up with the film, and enjoy it for having that unmistakable flavour of a first wave early 80's slasher. It's unpretentious, undemanding, but the rack 'em up and knock 'em down structure just works...
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 09:54 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Asylum Erotica AKA Slaughter Hotel: not exactly a stellar entry in Fernando Di Leo's oeuvre although perfectly watchable. To be fair the version I was watching was heavily cut and so sloppily edited. So-so.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Asylum Erotica AKA Slaughter Hotel: not exactly a stellar entry in Fernando Di Leo's oeuvre although perfectly watchable. To be fair the version I was watching was heavily cut and so sloppily edited. So-so.
The uncut version is pretty good and very sleazy in places. If you got anything out of the heavily cut UK version i'd recommend you give the R1 Shriek Show disc a go.

Like this? Share it using the links below!