Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2012, 01:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE FIEND - I really enjoyed this obscure Brit horror from the early 70s. It reminded me a little of the films of Pete Walker, although it just about predates his horror phase. It's got the same dour, contemporary vibe as the Walker stuff but is much more eccentric, seemingly at points threatening to turn into a Gospel themed musical (these outbreaks soundtrack a couple of Giallo style killings!). Follows the murderous exploits of a N Bates style swimming instructor who lives with evangelical church involved mother with obligatory Oedipal sickliness going on. Could almost have been called "Confessions of a Religious Pervert". Repressed and groovy in equal measure.

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN - Didn't do all that much for me as a Clive Barker adaption, but I quite liked it as a latter day mainstream B-movie time killer. With Vinnie Jones as a silent subway butcher and a reasonable amount of splatter. Felt the 'Ancient City Fathers' bit was underplayed.

WHERE THE DOGS DIVIDE HER - Was expecting an underground American experimental horror movie, whereas this actually turned out to be an underground Lancastrian experimental horror movie! One of the characters even writes 'Todmorden' in a sinister fashion at one point! Anyway, it's hard to describe, reminded me a little of 'Ice From the Sun' by way of crude comparison in that it's non-linear, image driven, frequently fascinating but sometimes drags. And is very cheap. But interesting and worth a look for those not turned off by constant doll references and budget video effects.

THE STINK OF FLESH - Original zombie action from 2004. Features a strange menage type situation set in zombie wilderness. With living dead sex slaves and a woman whose sister is a deformed stomach dwelling face. I found some of the humour a little grating, but certainly plenty of kudos for whacky novelty.

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP - Always a pleasure to revisit. I'm sure everyone knows this one, but if not, recommended for fans of mutant salmon sex offenders.

RE-CYCLE - Author gets haunted and ends up in an alternative dimension populated by the specters of 'the abandoned'. She's forced to come to terms with an issue from her past.Takes a while to warm up, but hits home when the weirdness kicks in. Maybe I was hoping for it to be a bit more 'full on' in some mysterious way, but it's certainly worth a shot.
Old 16th October 2012, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Even as big a fan of Shock as me admits it pails in front of his other efforts cough cough....AAAnyway

The Interceptor. Exploitation. It's a funny word, really. Wading through umpteen variations on a theme is mere horseplay for a man who's read Joseph Campbell cough cough. This is no different than many M Dudikoff films, and then again it is entirely it's own beast, whether it's down to the locales used, or is it the frankly loopy plot OR the sodding blue filter which makes it look like Cold Case in places. But it had enough for me to lift it out of the slurry pile.
Ahem. Here's the trailer

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th October 2012, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict

Yeah. I watched it. Golden karate Girl. Billed as having the worst (but most enjoyable) death scene of all time., this early Turkish revenge film is more than just a silly ending. It's a very silly movie over all. I loved it. Not often does an early 70's rape, revenge flick go viral.
Old 16th October 2012, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching Dead Scared, as recommended by Demdike and purchased for a mere £1.50 from Amazon. Great fun, stupid film with some fine looking scream queens, loved it and recommend you click on this link
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
I hate garlic
"One ha-ha! Two ha-ah! Three ha-ha!"
Old 16th October 2012, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My 4 year old son was gutted when he died the other week, he loved him on his Elmo DVD's
Demoncrat and Hawkmonger like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th October 2012, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
My 4 year old son was gutted when he died the other week, he loved him on his Elmo DVD's
The bloke who voiced the character died recently? I didn't know that.

I always loved the counting Count and the Cookie Monster!
Old 16th October 2012, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, about a month ago I think
Old 16th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Active Cultist

Count me in the club regarding CSPWDT. The last few minutes are fun. The rest of the movie is an absolute waste of time and it might be one of the most annoying films ever created. I love Bob Clarke's other horror stuff though. Huge lover of dead of night and black christmas.

Recently watched

Django Kill! Hadn't seen this one before. God knows where it's reputation for being surreal comes from. It was okay, but I won't be rewatching it again in a hurry.

The Crow hadn't seen this since it came out. Great looking Blu-ray and the film holds up really well. I swear there's certain shots that are exactly replicated in the Dark Knight. Awesome film.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post

The Crow hadn't seen this since it came out. Great looking Blu-ray and the film holds up really well. I swear there's certain shots that are exactly replicated in the Dark Knight. Awesome film.
Completely agree with you there, I recently watched it for the first time in years and thought the exact same thing, I wonder if Nolan was influenced by it when he made TDK

Like this? Share it using the links below!