Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2012, 08:15 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to andgomorra Send a message via Yahoo to andgomorra Send a message via Skype™ to andgomorra

Lincoln. Best movie I've seen this year.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgomorra View Post
Lincoln. Best movie I've seen this year.
Good to hear, I saw the first trailer and it looked a bit corny. This is a fascinating era of American history. I'm a big fan of Ken Burns' monumental Civil War series...
Old 29th November 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE DESIGNATED VICTIM. A wildly homoerotic remake of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, dripping with a noirish existential vibe. I really enjoyed this tale of a man trapped by chance meeting a man making his own, if somewhat warped, destiny. It has an excellent Donovan like theme song too. Recommended.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE DESIGNATED VICTIM. A wildly homoerotic remake of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, dripping with a noirish existential vibe. I really enjoyed this tale of a man trapped by chance meeting a man making his own, if somewhat warped, destiny. It has an excellent Donovan like theme song too. Recommended.
Plus, Russell Brand is really good in it as the antagonist.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Plus, Russell Brand is really good in it as the antagonist.
That one has gone right over my head. I can't remember a thing about The Designated Victim.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

ALIEN. I've not watched all of this since it's original release on video in the 80s. I've caught bits of it on TV over the years but to be honest it's never really excited me until today. What a great, tight, economic little film. What surprised me most was how undated it is, apart from a little laser covered mist, it could have been made this year. Excellent stuff.
Rik, Gojirosan, PaulD and 1 others like this.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
That one has gone right over my head. I can't remember a thing about The Designated Victim.
How about this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protectedimage.jpg (23.4 KB, 8 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
ALIEN. I've not watched all of this since it's original release on video in the 80s. I've caught bits of it on TV over the years but to be honest it's never really excited me until today. What a great, tight, economic little film. What surprised me most was how undated it is, apart from a little laser covered mist, it could have been made this year. Excellent stuff.
And fantastic in HD too, even though I know the plot inside out, certain scenes still have me gripped each time I watch it, fantastic film making
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th November 2012, 11:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Red Riding Hood - 2011 USA/Canada d: Catherine Hardwicke

Er...wow.

I have seen some badly written, stylistically clichéd, risible embarrassments of films in my time, but this truly takes the biscuit.

Other than some beautiful women to look at this film has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It is a dire and desperate mistake of large proportions. I am not sure what it is trying to be really - horror, drama, romance, comedy? it is impossible to tell. It ultimately comes across as a very bad comedy which is not at all funny. There are cringe inducing anachronisms that make one boggle (the modern dance party to celebrate a wolf's death, clumsy inappropriate language like "okay" or "party" and so on) at the ludicrous ineptitude of it all. And don't start me on the music.

The whodunit element is utterly unengaging - you just don't care who the werewolf is or what its motivations are, and even the lovely Amanda Seyfried is a simpering sap of a heroine. For some reason Julie Christie sleepwalks through her part with an American accent. Gary Oldman is...well, no as over-ripe as he usually is, but the smell of ham is pretty strong. Only Lukas Haas retains the merest shred of dignity.

Ugh. This is a horrible film. A truly bad film, not an enjoyably bad film or a kitsch film, just bad. very bad. All time bad. This is down there with the worst of the worst.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 30th November 2012, 01:09 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Not necessarily. Is Last House on the Left enjoyable to watch?
Absolutely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!