Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2013, 11:38 PM
Cult Addict

Really liked that film. Still only got the uk anchor bay disc though. Rubbish picture.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11th January 2013, 12:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

JHarker, it's well worth the upgrade if you're a fan of the film.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

CANDYMAN - When I was a young kid getting into horror I would dismiss anything like this as anaemic drivel, so fixated was I on the 'Forbidden' glow of banned video nasties. I thought films needed to be pulled from deep underground on semi-watchable tape to be valid. Seeing this now through the eyes of a fourteen year old would be pointless if not impossible, and my mid-thirties self is happy to report that 'Candyman' is a well executed and thoughtful exercise in urban horror. In fact, I really enjoyed viewing 'Candyman' this evening. Adaptions are always awkward and tricky - there's enough inherent friction between film and literature to make me disregard the idea of translation as an end in itself. I must say this, because Clive Barker's original short story exudes a menace which isn't captured here - I love the essential dankness of Brit horror lit from this period, if only as exemplified by the likes of Barker and Campbell - and it would've been great to have seen a twisted avant gardist Ken Loach do a Liverpool council estate based horror back in the eighties, but really, as a film and an imagined realm unto itself, 'Candyman' delivers. That nineties feel is there - slick and linear, but not without style. Performances, direction are all great, and the Phillip Glass score amplifies the mood markedly. I liked it.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CANDYMAN - When I was a young kid getting into horror I would dismiss anything like this as anaemic drivel, so fixated was I on the 'Forbidden' glow of banned video nasties. I thought films needed to be pulled from deep underground on semi-watchable tape to be valid. Seeing this now through the eyes of a fourteen year old would be pointless if not impossible, and my mid-thirties self is happy to report that 'Candyman' is a well executed and thoughtful exercise in urban horror. In fact, I really enjoyed viewing 'Candyman' this evening. Adaptions are always awkward and tricky - there's enough inherent friction between film and literature to make me disregard the idea of translation as an end in itself. I must say this, because Clive Barker's original short story exudes a menace which isn't captured here - I love the essential dankness of Brit horror lit from this period, if only as exemplified by the likes of Barker and Campbell - and it would've been great to have seen a twisted avant gardist Ken Loach do a Liverpool council estate based horror back in the eighties, but really, as a film and an imagined realm unto itself, 'Candyman' delivers. That nineties feel is there - slick and linear, but not without style. Performances, direction are all great, and the Phillip Glass score amplifies the mood markedly. I liked it.
I always thought (the first) candyman was a lot better than many of the slashers that preceeded it. I also remember getting the vhs widescreen tape off a car boot right after my dad had got surround sound installed and the sound mix was excellent. Tony todds voice comes from all around the room and genuineley adds an extra dimension to the film. Bernard rose is a great director (when he wants to be) and I didn't mind the change in locale, a tenement is a tenement wether its in chicago or liverpool, the only difference is the american one feels more like its based on ethnic lines where in britain its more about class.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:09 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I also like both the Candyman sequels.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I also like both the Candyman sequels.
I've never seen the sequels. I've heard bad things about them. I've only seen the first one and read The Forbidden.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I've never seen the sequels. I've heard bad things about them. I've only seen the first one and read The Forbidden.
Welcome back mate
Old 11th January 2013, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thanks, it's good to be back!
Old 11th January 2013, 01:09 PM
Cult Master

'Once Upon a Time In The Midlands'

Very good, often laugh out loud parody of spaghetti westerns - the tag line is 'A Tinned Spaghetti Western' - set in...um...the Midlands ('ya bugger')!

The music is a spot-on homage to Morricone

[SPOILER]However..it is let down by the ending. I was expecting a full on fight between the good guy and the villain, but it seems that only one punch is needed to make the psycho see the error of his ways[/SPOILER]

Very recommended nevertherless
Hawkmonger likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 11th January 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I absolutely love the original film it never needed a remake you cant improve on greatness
The new Total Recall is not a remake of the previous film which many seem to think. It is a new adaptation of the book and from what I I've read, a closer adaptation. Nevertheless, doesn't make it a good film though, although not seen it myself to be fair. Will check it out soon enough

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!