Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2013, 12:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THIEF - James Caan is a safe breaker who wants to go straight, but he's walking a tightrope with corrupt cops and the mob on one side and his own inner desperation on the other. This glides like an 80s Michael Mann film should, big city at night dripping through a neon haze, amplified in this case by the excellent Tangerine Dream soundtrack... beyond its synthetic textures, 'Thief's humanity lies with Caan's tortured portrayal of a man who has effectively had to kill himself in order to survive his own existence.

SHADOW OF A DOUBT - White picket fences give way to vistas of endless unknowing when Uncle Charlie hits town... perhaps instructively, beyond its initial tweeness lies a real darkness. Its imagery still seems luminous after repeated viewings - the 'loss of innocence' moment when Girl Charlie seems about to disappear into her own looming shadow in the library after she realizes her uncle is a killer has never left my mind. A great film.

BLOOD SIMPLE - This is the first time I've watched it. I was surprised. I've never thought that highly of the Coens beyond thinking them really, really good but somehow not special. Maybe this has all changed tonight. 'Blood Simple', besides solidifying whatever 'neo-noir' means / meant, is a really weird film. Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems well ahead of its time for 1983. In fact, it kind of feels a bit like the sort of film a hip young filmmaker maxed out on an imagined eighties would make now. I can see reverberations throughout the thirty years that followed, through Tarantino certainly but also David Lynch. He must've seen this before he made 'Blue Velvet'. It's not just the updated noirishness, but the whole creepy animistic thing... close ups of objects glow with sinister life, signs become portents. Really quite taken with it.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
The Mist (2007)
I enjoyed this Stephen King adaptation quite a bit, but, man, what a bleak ending! I saw it via Netflix but I'd probably buy it on Blu, if I saw it cheap enough.
Its worth picking up for the black and white version alone.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:01 AM
Cultist

Blood Diner
Phantasm
The Gate
Popcorn
Night Warning
bdc and bizarre_eye@Cult Labs like this.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:24 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Its worth picking up for the black and white version alone.
Absolutely right. Frank Darabont says the black and white version should be considered the 'directors cut' as it's the one he prefers and I completely agree with him as it feels very different to the colour film – almost like a film from a different era – and is probably more claustrophobic and chilling than the theatrically released version.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Absolutely right. Frank Darabont says the black and white version should be considered the 'directors cut' as it's the one he prefers and I completely agree with him as it feels very different to the colour film – almost like a film from a different era – and is probably more claustrophobic and chilling than the theatrically released version.
Definitely. It also softens the blow of some of the ropier CGI too.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:18 AM
Cult Rookie

grabbers.jpg

Found it to be mediocre...
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

It Came From Outer Space (1953)
Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (1956)
The Curse Of The Crimson Altar (1968)
The Pit And The Pendulum (1961)
Old 18th January 2013, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranarchy View Post
Blood Diner
Phantasm
The Gate
Popcorn
Night Warning
Phantasm's excellent!!! I've always wanted to see Night Warning, but can't seem to find it on DVD.

Last edited by ArgentoFan1987; 18th January 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I only watched it on Friday night and i can't even remember the last scene.

It wasn't him staring at a wolf was it?

I thought the film on the whole was a huge let down. Frozen was a far superior snow / wolf survival horror.

But that's just me.
Yes it was. Everyone in my house thought it was a rubbish ending too. But if you knew you were going to die, would you put up a fight or just let death take you? That's the choice he was faced with and I thought it was great
Old 18th January 2013, 01:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Yes it was. Everyone in my house thought it was a rubbish ending too. But if you knew you were going to die, would you put up a fight or just let death take you? That's the choice he was faced with and I thought it was great
I really liked the ending (and the whole film) as it tied into his dad's poem and it's much better than any alternatives.
mercury likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!