Cult Acolyte

The Brides Of Dracula (1960)
The Terror Of The Tongs (1961)
The Brigand Of Kandahar (1965)
Metallicbomb likes this.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It is another cold, miserable and grey day here in Bremen, so I am taking the opportunity to veg out in front of the T.V. with my unwatched DVD's and Blu-Rays.

First up is Brake (German Blu-ray) starring Stephen Dorff as a state department agent held hostage in the boot of a car. I reviewed this over on my diary thread when I saw it last Summer at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. While I didn't dislike it then, I think my feelings towards it have improved with this rewatch and I would now recommend it as a pretty solid "man in a box" thriller.

And after a brief pause for a 5k run, I sat down with an old friend Lady Snowblood, although this time on the Arrow blu-ray. I am not convinced that there is any need for those of you with the DVD to upgrade, but the film remains a classic and should be any serious cult collectors collection.

Last edited by SShaw; 17th February 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
The Brides Of Dracula (1960)
The Terror Of The Tongs (1961)
The Brigand Of Kandahar (1965)
Could you say a little about them, such as what they are about and what you thought of them?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:40 PM
Cult Rookie

THE AGGRESSION SCALE

ALUCARDA

NEKROMANTIK 2

DEADBEAT AT DAWN

All Indie Film Makers
Come Share Your Nightmare Visions
www.extremehorrorcinema.com/index.php?board=13.0
Old 17th February 2013, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm starting a 'Kevin Smith Project' today where I'm going to watch all KS (directed) movies in order from Clerks to Red State - I have them all apart from Cop Out which I've never seen... so I'll have to pick that up (not that I want to haha) and I have until Feb 28th to watch them all
So tonight is Clerks!

I watched Nowhere Boy last night which is the John Lennon grows up story, obviously local interest for me, and it was interesting seeing all these places I know but in a 1960's setting, Aaron Johnson was good, but his scouse accent left a bit to be desired, sometimes it was spot on, but other times he just sounded like the posh boy he is McCartney was good, but they could have at least got someone who looked remotely like Macca, Anne-Marie Duff as Lennon's mum Julia was really good, once I got over the fact that Fiona from Shameless is pretending to be Lennon's mum! All in all it was a nice journey, quite touching, pretty familiar story for most people as The Beatles and Lennon are household names across the world. Worth a watch even if you're not a scouser.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th February 2013, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MIDNIGHT SON - Good, serious indie-horror with a vampire theme. A sensitive, isolated young man works by night as a security guard when he isn't painting wistful sunset scenes in his grim basement flat. He developes an inexplicable taste for blood and strikes up a relationship with a burned out coke-head whilst getting mixed up with a dodgy hospital worker with a sideline in clinical waste. Has a sombre palette, downbeat atmos and a bleak feel. The central relationship aspect unfolds a bit ho-hum, but doesn't detract from an overall intensity, aided by the strong performance of all involved inc especially the main character. Interesting and good.
Old 17th February 2013, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I didn't really get Midnight Son when I saw it at the cinema, I found it to be too slow (and I like slow films) with very little to say. But after Frankies generous review perhaps I should give it a second chance, its released on blu-ray here next Friday.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 17th February 2013, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Alone With Her (2006)

Now don't get me wrong stalking is a serious subject and anyone who has been a victim of it may see this film differently to me.

Unfortunately Alone With Her is a tiresome excuse for cheap film making. The majority of the movie is filmed through the various spy cameras bought by Colin Hanks to do his lecherous deeds with, meaning the film looks like a cheap found footage movie rather than a polished production.

The main gripe i had about the film was its storyline. Yes, fine, stalk the poor girl, but at least have a reason to do it. I just don't get why you would stalk someone you are actually friends with, dating and sleeping with. Its not like she ignores him or anything.

Others may find inner meanings and values here but i just thought it was tension free bollocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.8 KB, 3 views)
PaulD and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 17th February 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just watched my SF Blu of Terrorvision!
Wow brings back so many memories of watching this as a kid on VHS!
Such a camp and stupid movie but hell its a lot of fun too!
So glad SF released the MGMHD master of this on blu. Yes its not the perfect PQ but I dont really care as its a movie that did not get a official DVD release and the PQ is a million times better then VHS. Nice to see they included a 30 min making of and seeing the cast and director talk about it! Need to see Video dead next.
PaulD and Frankie Teardrop like this.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th February 2013, 10:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to andgomorra Send a message via Yahoo to andgomorra Send a message via Skype™ to andgomorra

About to walk into die hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!