Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2013, 09:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm All Right Jack (1959) British comedy with Peter Sellers made me chuckle!
Demdike@Cult Labs and sawyer6 like this.
Old 26th May 2013, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I spent the weekend in Hamburg at the Japan Film Festival Hamburg where I saw:

Ushijima the Loan Shark (fantastic)
End of the Night (good)
Bushido Man (fun)
My Departure (fantastic)
An Assassin (good)

and a half-dozen shorts.

I will write up my thoughts in the films over on my Diary thread in the coming days.
Old 26th May 2013, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Son Of No One

Much better than the negative reviews would have you believe. Solid performances and a good, if predictable, story.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:28 AM
Ex-member

Once Upon A Time In The West - Classic Great Film
Lawrence Of Arabia - Another Classic Great Film
Scooby-Doo - Very Enjoyable Fun Film
A Perfect Murder - Prefer Dial M But Still A Great Re-Make
Batman & Robin - I Like This Film Alot In A Stupid Corny Way Despite All The Hate.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 27th May 2013, 05:55 AM
Cultist in Training

Gestapo's last orgy, seen it on youtube last night, first Nazi exploitation I've seen, can understand why it's banned but found it boring not enough horror for me.

Also tried watching Nekromantik, well that was the polar opposite, whether it was the mood I was in, it was too much for me may try again in the future
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:23 AM
Cult Addict

Mr. Sardonicus.

A doctor from 'ye olde london town' heads to eastern europe at the request of his ex. It seems the man she was forced to marry for money due to her gambling daddy is a nouvoux-riche aristocrat who wears a creepy white mask and lives in the local equivalent of Draculas castle. (superstitious peasants look in horror as the doc tells them where he's going!) He even has a deformed one-eyed butler whose favourite saying seems to be "when the master tells me to do a thing, I do it no matter what it is!" despite the fact his sadist boss is the reason he only has one eye. It turns out Sardonicus was a pesant at one point who dug up his fathers corpse to retrieve a winning lottery ticket (I dont judge, I'd be tempted to do the same thing) and the shock of seeing the rictus grin of old daddy has given Sardonicus the same disturbing grin! The subsequent years of isolation have twisted him into a grade-a sadistic psychopath and he cooly informs the good doctor that he will deform his wife if the doctor dosent fix his face..
William Castle was always best remembered as the master showman fond of promoting his films with weird gimmicks. In this movie he stops the film and allows the audience to choose sardonicus fate, though there was only one ending shot so your stuck with it whatever your own decision was! Like all his films Sardonicus has a lot of charm and is an awful lot of fun. It's probably the only true period based gothic horror he made and for me its the best of his movies. (that he directed of course, i'm fully aware he produced Rosemary's baby!) The Blu-ray picture and sound are generally excellent. Theres some noticable noise in the opening scen with william castle but given the films vintage and the fact the blu-ray cost less than four quid with postage its a great presentation and better than the DVD release.

The Brotherhood of Satan.

A family on vacation end up stranded in some desolate midwest town that has been mysteriously cut of from civilisation as the local kids go missing and the parents die off one by one. The dad joins forces with the local sheriff and priest in order to try and figure out whats going on. Turns out the local doctor is a satanist hell bent on giving himself and his acolytes immortality.
The film is quite weird, the opening ten minutes is almost dialouge free. Its well shot and we get two great performances from Strother Martin and LQ Jones. In fact if I were to compare this to any other movies LQ Jones THE WITCHMAKER would certainly make the list, as would Devils rain and Race with the devil. Its a great little Occult chiller and like Sardonicus it looks great on blu-ray.

Worth pointing out here that the mill creek blu-ray is region locked. So dont go out and buy it unless your american or region free. Shame really as two films of this caliber for less than a pack of fags is a total bargain.
Old 27th May 2013, 11:49 AM
Cultist

watched City Of The Living Dead, The Beyond and House By The Cemetery back-to-back at the PCC yesterday, worth the numb arse to hear those scores in glorious Dolby cinema surround!
Old 27th May 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Bernard Knowles' Shadow Of The Cat (1961) on youtube, as mate refused to watch Gangsters Law (my awwwwwful 23rd Century print as well, philistine!)

A very effective wee chiller starring Andre Morell and Barbara Shelley centred round an inheritance. Nasty bit at the start ahem. Worth checking out, even if tis a print taken fae C4!!!

Ahem.

Showed mates Lorna on Friday. Well, they said they liked it.

One is a Rallizes fan so Il be able to show him Night Of The Assassins later cough

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2013, 01:06 PM
Cult Addict

Managed to watch The Vikings with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis last night. Splendid film and a lovely print TCM HD showed too. One I'll pick up on blu if it shows up. Great turn from Ernest Borgnine too as the crazy viking chief Ragnar!
JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 27th May 2013, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The New Barbarians

Truly, truly awful even with George Eastman, Fred Williamson and a muscle car/popemobile hybrid.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!