Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2013, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

North Sea Hijack (1979)

One of my favourite action / adventure films that i can always go back to.

A really enjoyable story about terrorists led by Anthony Perkins who take over an oil rig in the North Sea and threaten to blow it up unless they are given £25m by the British government.

In steps the cat loving, woman hating, Ffolkes played superbly by Roger Moore and his team of anti terrorist dudes.

Truth be told the film hasn't much in the way of action but it flies along with witty dialogue and a slow build up of suspense. The action, when it does arrive in the last ten minutes is extremely realistic and organised, rather than Michael Bay over the topness.

A highly recommended British thriller also starring James Mason, which, along with The Wild Geese is Moore's best non-Bond film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg North_Sea_Hijack_(1980).jpg (65.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th June 2013, 10:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Not sure about "extremely realistic", I think this film is a total hoot That's all down to Moore though. A shame Perkins was so bland as the villain. It would've been cool if they'd made more. I can imagine it now, embracing the eccentric British silliness, with Ffolkes and his crew having Steve Zissou-esque adventures . . .
Old 4th June 2013, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Not sure about "extremely realistic", I think this film is a total hoot That's all down to Moore though. A shame Perkins was so bland as the villain. It would've been so cool if they'd made more. I can imagine it now, embracing the eccentric British silliness, with Ffolkes and his crew having Steve Zissou-esque adventures . . .
Realistic as in a meticulously planned operation rather than massive shoot outs and explosions everywhere topped off with a ten minute fight between the main villain and the hero.

More Who Dares Wins than Under Siege in the realism stakes.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Motel Hell, personally I couldn't wait for it to finish.
And eventually it did. Thank Christ
I had the "pleasure" of seeing it on the "big screen". My best mate B.J. (again it's a no, you pervs) used to go and see a lot of films on Friday afternoons, after we had finished a 10 hour night shift and a mini pub crawl. It was a little like a drunken MST3K without the puppets. Even smashed and knackered we both thought that it was shit, and we knew shit when we saw it!!

Monster Magnet
Old 4th June 2013, 11:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Realistic as in a meticulously planned operation rather than massive shoot outs and explosions everywhere topped off with a ten minute fight between the main villain and the hero.

More Who Dares Wins than Under Siege in the realism stakes.
Oh right. I don't really remember the film for its plot! It's all about Ffolkes for me. I drew him once as part of this design . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE FACILITY - Medical trial goes wrong with "infected-maniac-siege" - type consequences. I liked it. It's not very original, but it works. There's tension in the build up and a weirdly forlorn atmosphere prevails, reinforced by the grimly impersonal clinical environment. I believe it's based on an infamous UK trial from a few years back which inspired tabloid headlines about test subject's head's swelling to monstrous and life threatening proportions... that happens here, with latter day Brit-exploitation embellishment, obviously.

SUMMER SCARS - Some kids in the woods are befriended, then terrorised, by an odd man. Touted as a kind of 'Stand By Me' / 'Deliverance' combo, this probably owes more to films like 'A Room For Romeo Brass', at least in terms of its portrayal of a vulnerable but dangerous central character and the dynamics of teen friendship. As Hoodie Horrors go, it doesn't take the more exploitative route of 'Eden Lake', and lacks that film's violence and drive - but the last half hour of 'Summer Scars' is much more intense than anything in EL and contains moments which really made me want to look away. Definitely worth a look.

THE ALIENATOR - From that Shout Factory four pack. One from the days of direct to VHS, this Fred Olen Ray product gleefully rips off 'The Terminator' and anything else it can lay its hands on in delivering a well-worn tale of alien prisoner pursued by cyborg lady. I'm a sucker for eighties badness so obviously I'm into this, although in truth there's probably as much padding as there is entertainment. Said padding is too inane to be boring however and the ghost of awful late eighties sci-fi is too alluring to pass on.

LAST CARRESS - French neo-Giallo, kind of. Actually, like 'Amer', it's more an attempted distillation of the style of Argento (and in this case Fulci), although there is an archetypal black gloved killer at the beginning. A bunch of random people are murdered one by one in a castle where there's a portrait of a witch which seems linked to a load of supernatural stuff. It looks well put together, but something of the stylistic excess exploited so well by 'Amer' doesn't translate here - it looks too SOV. In fact, it's kind of like a direct-to-video rip of 'Amer' in some ways. It's senseless, gory and a little sleazy - actually, I thought the sleaze angle would be played up a little bit more, but who needs another 'Fantom Killer'? I liked it, but there's something a bit irritating about it.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nice artwork there, SJ.

Showed mate Lorna & Eugenie. He loved Lorna!! 5th time in 3 weeks haha, I was the same with Berberian cough. And as he is something of a C Lee fan, was intrigued to see his reaction to the other film etc.....

Am showing mate ALIAWS on Thursday.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th June 2013, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Comic Book Villains (2002)

Two opposing comic stores in the same town will stop at nothing to get hold of some rare comics from their elderly owner.

This was a third time viewing for me. Comic Book Villains could have been a great film along the lines of Clerks, but for all its funny lines and potentially great characters it barely raises a laugh and it soon becomes apparent the majority of characters are all rather unlikable.

The script, rather than being a masterclass of geek cool is actually pretty nasty in its portrayals of greed, betrayal and in the end, murder.

The film has a fine cast - Michael Rapaport, Cary Elwes, DJ Quaills, Donal Logue and Natasha Lyonne, but they all would have been better suited by Mallrats or Chasing Amy.

So in the end Comic Book Villains is a film of could have's, but its still watchable and will certainly hold your attention until the final reel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'Comic Book Villains' 'film poster' james robinson.jpg (102.6 KB, 9 views)
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 5th June 2013, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloody Birthday ,

Entertaining rubbish at its best.
troggi likes this.
Old 6th June 2013, 12:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Buffalo 66 caugh it on ch4 films bit on the dull and boring side, ok for a one of watch but dont think there enough happening or going on to substation a second watch . Not a film I be rushing to add to my collection.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!