Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2013, 09:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Well, after picking up "The Fifth Element" today in a Charidee shop I just had to watch "Zatoichi".

I haven't seen this Beat Takeshi masterwork for nearly 10 years and little bits kept popping into my mind just before they happened, as fresh as if I'd seen it yesterday, and no, gag, I hadn't. It still has the power to shock, a little, and to surprise.

Kitano's typically subdued acting belies the power of the character he plays making the ferocity of the fight sequences all the more outstanding in comparison.

I like this film an awful lot 10 years ago, I loved it tonight. 18/10 for sheer style!
I thought Zatoichi was great when I first watched it. Right up until that godawful dance at the end. Didn't get that at all and it spoiled the film a little for me.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th June 2013, 09:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I thought Zatoichi was great when I first watched it. Right up until that godawful dance at the end. Didn't get that at all and it spoiled the film a little for me.
Same here I haven't seen the film since it first came out on dvd, but that crazy song n' dance sequence is my abiding memory of it . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 15th June 2013, 10:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Although I do see what you and Jack mean about the...
Quote:
godawful dance at the end
I think that it serves a purpose.

It acts as a counterpoint to the violence and darkness that existed before "The Festival" and is a celebration by the whole village that the gang that oppressed them were no more!

Having said that it is, on the whole, a...
Quote:
godawful dance at the end

Monster Magnet
Old 15th June 2013, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Man of Steel....I was in such a rush to see this I went to the 11am screening yesterday.
I must say that to many people who love the original films this is going to be a hit or miss for you. But on its own right it is a very good film. I thought the story was good and the characters were portrayed well and were some nice emotional scenes. One thing I didn't like too much was that the action scenes were very fast and explosive which I found broke up the story a little. Only other thing I missed was the superman music. Overall very enjoyable, visually stunning at times and I left the cinema thinking that Henry Cavill is a worthy superman! Roll on the sequal
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.
Old 15th June 2013, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This evening I watched The Hunt the latest film from Thomas Vinterberg. I am a great admirer of Festen, which touches on some related themes, and the whole Dogme 95 movement that he co-launched with Lars von Trier. The Hunt is powerful, riveting examination of how an innocent lie can destroy a mans whole life. Recommended.
Frankenhooker and Zann like this.
Old 15th June 2013, 06:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Although I do see what you and Jack mean about the... I think that it serves a purpose.

It acts as a counterpoint to the violence and darkness that existed before "The Festival" and is a celebration by the whole village that the gang that oppressed them were no more!

Having said that it is, on the whole, a...

Was that what was going on?? I thought it was the whole cast and crew involved in it? Including gang members already killed by Zatoichi?
(Though I admit I've not seen in it years and may be wrong)
troggi likes this.
Old 15th June 2013, 06:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Was that what was going on?? I thought it was the whole cast and crew involved in it? Including gang members already killed by Zatoichi?
Yeah they were talking about Zatoichi "is going to miss the Festival) while they were rebuilding Aunties house. But yes they did bring in the whole cast including "dead" characters and the brother and sister as kids for a short time (in a sort of dissolve as they had done before in the dance practice).

Monster Magnet
Old 15th June 2013, 06:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
This evening I watched The Hunt the latest film from Thomas Vinterberg. I am a great admirer of Festen, which touches on some related themes, and the whole Dogme 95 movement that he co-launched with Lars von Trier. The Hunt is powerful, riveting examination of how an innocent lie can destroy a mans whole life. Recommended.
I completely agree with you about The Hunt – it's a riveting film with a mesmerising central performance by Mads Mikkelsen.
Zann likes this.
Old 15th June 2013, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Killing of America

Made 31 years ago but could've been made today.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 15th June 2013, 08:40 PM
Active Cultist

The Great Silence -- just gorgeous. One of the best things about 'cult cinema' is things like having a lead protagonist that doesn't speak. The snowy landscape sets this apart from other Western's, and Klaus Kinski chews it up like no one else can. A+
Slippery Jack and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!