Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179610Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Your both insane, watched it again yesterday, bloody great piece of grindhouse trash, not as good as Machete mind
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th July 2013, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Phew, it's not just me who thought that then . . . !
Nope The one thing I will say for it is the criticism of Bumfights is commendable...but even that's crap as it's over ten years late!
troggi likes this.
Old 5th July 2013, 09:10 PM
Active Cultist

I can't remember the last time I posted a review. The last few things I watched:

The Grey. Nice piece of work. I never thought I'd enjoy CGI wolves but they did really well with them here. Neeson's great. He does wounded really well. I've got a thing about snowy landscapes so I really enjoyed it (doesn't always work, mind -- see The Thing remake and Whiteout).

Rewatched The Brood. I really like this movie. But even the most hardcore fan of early Cronenberg will admit that there's some narrative problems that are hard to ignore. (see also: Rabid). A lot of things don't make much scientific sense. Normally it's not a problem but Cronenberg always sounds like an intellectual so I you think...eh? You what? Maybe just be me. Good movie though.

The Reef This was a decent Open Water type movie that managed to keep a bit tension going, but struggled near the end. I'm not sure sharks behave in this way, but then I can't complain because I know less about sharks than I do about the above mentioned mutant children.

Devil written by M.Night Shame-about-the-last-one (Thanks, Kermode), this was okay and then fell a bit flat with the 'we must have a twist' in the final few minutes. For a contained horror film it was quite well done for the most part.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 5th July 2013, 10:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Clerks last night. Just brilliant. I watched the original cut which had been transferred from S-VHS so it looked and sounded absolutely awful on blu-ray, but the film remains extraordinarily funny. Brilliant.

Tonight I watched Stallone's Over the Top for the first time in a long while, I remember renting it on VHS back in the day. Surprisingly it has stood the test of time remarkably well and I quire enjoyed it - which should probably earn me a ban from this forum.
troggi likes this.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A Field in England

Really enjoyed this, but it's guaranteed to divide people as it's easily Wheatley's least accessible and mad. Considering how much I'd read regarding how weird it gets (and it does) I found myself surprised at its restraint, which was great as it's a slow burner with a few unsettling moments, rather than the psychedelic barrage that I'd somehow expected.

I certainly expect it to grow on me with repeat viewings as it's got loads going for it: a great small cast, beautiful b&w cinematography, trippy imagery and impressive sound design and music. I didn't even try to make sense of it as it's clearly not that sort of film, but rather one you let wash over you. Sure it nods at other genres such as English folk horror, but I was pleased to see it isn't a Witchfinder General, but very much its own peculiar beast. And as for the imagery: there's one slow mo scene involving Reese Shearsmith walking out a tent that I found genuinely unnerving.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Completely bored the crap outta me, worst film I've seen all year, I wish I'd spent 90 minutes stood in a field in England instead of wasting my time watching this, each to their own I guess but I'm no great rush to check out anything else he's put out.
I'm fairly certain I'll get some stick for not enjoying it, tbh I couldn't give a rat's arse, I thought it was shite, so much so that I didn't even pause it about halfway through, when I nipped out for a cig, I knew I wouldn't miss bugger all in the two minutes or so it took me to smoke it
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th July 2013, 11:21 PM
Ex-member

Just watched
Dog Soldiers (Again)
Old 5th July 2013, 11:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm fairly certain I'll get some stick for not enjoying it, tbh I couldn't give a rat's arse
Why would you expect to get stick? It's a divisive film for sure and certainly Wheatley's least accessible. Even Wheatley said he expected the same reaction. Even I'm surprised at the overall positive critical reception - not because I don't think it deserves it, but because it didn't divide critics as much I would have thought now I've seen it. And good for them.
troggi likes this.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A Field in England

Meh. There were some nice things in there, but overall I can't see what some reviewers are gushing over. Just left me feeling Wheatley had done some magic mushrooms for the first time while watching Valhalla Rising. (And inserted his usual shock tactics.) Hate to be so harsh, but have to be honest.
troggi likes this.
Old 6th July 2013, 03:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I thought A Field in England was pretty good.

My theory is that the field was actually purgatory as Shearsmith and co virtually died in the early blast. The field was sorting out who survived and who died. The mushrooms were just a consequence of this.

I'm probably way out though.

As for the links to Witchfinder General and Blood on Satans Claw they were tenuous at best - the costumes and the brief discovery of the skull in the field.

Like this? Share it using the links below!