Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2013, 02:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I watched Pacific Rim, against my better judgement. It's been a while since I've so intensely disliked a film, but I hated it.

It felt like a Michael Bay movie (though thankfully without the crass sexualisation) with everything ramped up to 11 - the problem being, where do you go when you're so relentlessly pummeled that it becomes numbing? There's nothing outside of the set-pieces of course, but the cod-characterisation is actually embarrassing with its overamped melodrama and goofy, cartoonish scientists. It's also one of those films where evry character feels the need to shout all the time - if it isn't bone crunching robot/alien fisticuffs, it's egos running rampage - I've been to quieter heavy metal gigs.

And the thing is, it would almost be forgivable if the set-pieces were entertaining, but they really aren't. Most of the fights are set at sea, so there's little sense of scale to it all; the one brief fight in a city is over and done with soon, so there's little in the way of Godzilla style real peril, and the aliens all pretty uninteresting to look at. It felt like those cheesy Japanese programs in which a guy in a rubber suit hits a guy in a robot suit - and that is essentially it, while each set-piece is essentially the same with the Aliens getting slightly bigger.

Astoundingly bad. And my girlfriend knew I hated it as I did something I never do at the cinema - I went to the loo partway through. I either go before or can hold it, but I felt like some respite from the mindnumbing tedium of it all.. and the casual stroll to the loos and back was far more entertaining than the torturous 2 hours + of that insufferable piece of crap.
Have to agree was looking forward to this but it was just a awful ,you really think its a bay movie and not del toro. Really can't believe this is getting such good reviews. I wish I had went to see monster university or despicable me 2, really hope this is not a sign of the quality of del toros work to come
Old 14th July 2013, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default So, we don't have any crackers?

The Incredible Melting Man

Hadn't seen it since the days of video. While it starts to drag half way through, the severed head/waterfall and fall/electrocution gags made it worth while.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 14th July 2013, 02:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter"
I really wasn't expecting anything from this movie except fangs and blood so I was almost surprised to find myself enjoying the ride! 9/10 though for way too much C.G.I.

Monster Magnet
Old 14th July 2013, 05:26 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Hmm, interesting to see such negative reactions to Pacific Rim as it's one of the few films this year I am legitimately excited to see; pretty much all of my friends who are into film in general have adored it after being disappointed by other blockbuster fare this year. I'll be seeing it on a half price Wednesday but fingers crossed it turns out good either way.

Anyway back to my ever growing pile of unwatched stuff in my collection.....XD
troggi likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 14th July 2013, 05:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Films for a hot day indoors

Tropicilia - About the 60's Brazillian pop/social-political movement. Lots of great summery choonz and colourful footage from the period, though it didn't go very deep into the political stuff. An enjoyable watch though.

El Topo - Only made it about halfway in, but seen it loads of times so it doesn't matter. I'd love to paint a poster for this film at some point.
Old 14th July 2013, 06:57 PM
Cult Addict

I DIDN'T COME HERE TO DIE.

The Bloodydisgusting.com review seems to suggest its the best horror since evil dead. Thats hyperbole. Its a decent film and well executed and it dosent outstay its welcome but i've seen better.

MAY I KILL U?

Kevin Bishop plays an unhinged copper out murdering people and making his own snuff films for social networking. A bit overlong and not one i'll watch again, Kevin Bishop was ok and the film seems to make the most of it's micro budget...

I'm going to see PACIFIC RIM tommorrow. The reviews above dont fill me with confidence, but then everyones views on films are different. Before the two above I decided to give MICMACS a try to see if I was being a bit too harsh in my dislike of Jean pierre Juenet films.... Nah its toatal garbage. Felt like the sort of film i'm supposed to say I like in front of other people rather than one I actually watch for pleasure. Switched it off half an hour in and stuck I didn't come here to die on instead. I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim.... Fingers crossed at any rate, i'll be going in with significantly lowered expectations.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

The Bloodydisgusting.com review seems to suggest its the best horror since evil dead. Thats hyperbole. Its a decent film and well executed and it dosent outstay its welcome but i've seen better.

MAY I KILL U?

Kevin Bishop plays an unhinged copper out murdering people and making his own snuff films for social networking. A bit overlong and not one i'll watch again, Kevin Bishop was ok and the film seems to make the most of it's micro budget...

I'm going to see PACIFIC RIM tommorrow. The reviews above dont fill me with confidence, but then everyones views on films are different. Before the two above I decided to give MICMACS a try to see if I was being a bit too harsh in my dislike of Jean pierre Juenet films.... Nah its toatal garbage. Felt like the sort of film i'm supposed to say I like in front of other people rather than one I actually watch for pleasure. Switched it off half an hour in and stuck I didn't come here to die on instead. I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim.... Fingers crossed at any rate, i'll be going in with significantly lowered expectations.
My review was probably a bit harsh, not terrible but just average at best, suppose that's because I was really looking forward to it and wasn't going to live up to my expectations , but definitely a down turn in del toros work. Also was a group of people in front of me who wouldn't shut up all the way threw the movie so that also ruined the experience as well
Old 14th July 2013, 07:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

MAY I KILL U?

I'd say that that was a healthy stand to take. I absolutely hate it when folk say "oh! GUSH, It's so deep! you must love it because it is so cerebral, GUSH, but DON'T enjoy it that would make it just the same as those trashy mainstream films! GUSH!"

I don't watch films or read books to pull 'em apart and look for 'idden meanings "in the counterpoint to the subtext" or some such tripe. As the great Frank Zappa said "whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

Monster Magnet
Old 14th July 2013, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I know people on here enjoyed Micmacs so I might enjoy Pacific rim....

I'm failing to see the connection . . . ?
troggi likes this.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:25 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

My only connection with Jeunet as a director while on this topic is simple. Amelie was quaint and pleasant but to me felt too slight to leave much of an impression. To me as I've said many times here I still think Alien Resurrection is just plain awful; I've had no urge or interest to watch any of his other films regardless of their critical praise.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)

Like this? Share it using the links below!