All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2013, 04:52 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I had completely the opposite reaction. I wasn't going to go because I find Wan a banal filmmaker who simply regurgitates every tired horror movie trope, every single film. I should have trusted my judgement.

Personally I'm tired of being force-fed these lazy, sterile, studio product ghost stories that are being churned out at the moment. They're like the Mcdonalds of horror movies and they're simply not scary.

I personally expect better than this naff check-list of clichés, but clearly people are lapping it up.
Glad I'm not the only finding these modern ghost story horror films so boring from the trailers and constantly hyped presence alone; I know a good chunk of my friends really like James Wan but I do find him similarly dry as a director.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 4th August 2013, 10:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" 1987

WOW! State of the art visual effects from 1987 are a little "see through" today! Let's be fair to this film In 1987 I was still using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the IBM PCs were as user friendly as a hand feeding station at a rabid weasel sanctuary! The celebrated "Video Toaster" (a souped up Commodore Amiga), that created the computer effects for such series as "Babylon 5" was still a little ways off. The effects in "Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" are pretty good with some half decent stop-motion rat demons in there too!

You can probably tell already that I quite enjoyed this film, it has EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink! Demons, ghosts, dark magic, light magic, pneumatic robots all in 1900-1930s Tokyo! The plot is a little difficult to follow, especially for someone as ill-tutored in Japanese custom and culture as me, but I can forgive that just for it existing, it's that much fun! My only real quibble is that it looks as though it had been lifted straight from a 1987 VHS. In my now famous marking system it gets 17/10 and when I get a copy with a better PQ it'll get at least 2 points more!

Monster Magnet
Old 4th August 2013, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" 1987

WOW! State of the art visual effects from 1987 are a little "see through" today! Let's be fair to this film In 1987 I was still using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the IBM PCs were as user friendly as a hand feeding station at a rabid weasel sanctuary! The celebrated "Video Toaster" (a souped up Commodore Amiga), that created the computer effects for such series as "Babylon 5" was still a little ways off. The effects in "Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" are pretty good with some half decent stop-motion rat demons in there too!

You can probably tell already that I quite enjoyed this film, it has EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink! Demons, ghosts, dark magic, light magic, pneumatic robots all in 1900-1930s Tokyo! The plot is a little difficult to follow, especially for someone as ill-tutored in Japanese custom and culture as me, but I can forgive that just for it existing, it's that much fun! My only real quibble is that it looks as though it had been lifted straight from a 1987 VHS. In my now famous marking system it gets 17/10 and when I get a copy with a better PQ it'll get at least 2 points more!

Its an adaptation of a great little manga and then anime called DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS...

Doomed megalopolis..jpg

It was one of the early official western anime releases. Back when we got one episode per tape and introduced a lot of people (me included) to japanese animation. Curiously the film seems to have come before the anime. The story is pretty solidly rooted in japanese folklore and myth and is fairly impenetrable for westerners. The manga was long enough that shorter movie length adaps like this made it even harder to grasp. Nontheless if you get the chance and you liked the film, seek out the anime series. Its pretty difficult to get hold of on dvd, I have the dubbed US release and that's out of print.
troggi likes this.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Doomed Megalopolis (REGION 1) (NTSC): Amazon.co.uk: Suzanne J. E. Tourtillott: Film & TV

This is the release. Well overdue a re-issue imo.
Invid Ninja, trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:24 AM
Cult Addict

Watched RED tonight. Good stuff, nothing mind blowing but quite entertaining.
Also watched the first two episodes of Series 3 of Luther. Cracking show with Idris Elba playing such a great character.
troggi likes this.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Its an adaptation of a great little manga and then anime called DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS...

Attachment 116372

It was one of the early official western anime releases. Back when we got one episode per tape and introduced a lot of people (me included) to japanese animation. Curiously the film seems to have come before the anime. The story is pretty solidly rooted in japanese folklore and myth and is fairly impenetrable for westerners. The manga was long enough that shorter movie length adaps like this made it even harder to grasp. Nontheless if you get the chance and you liked the film, seek out the anime series. Its pretty difficult to get hold of on dvd, I have the dubbed US release and that's out of print.
I seem to remember a either later version of the same story or a sequel being shown a few years ago on the "Sci-Fi Channel" or whatever it's called now but I may be mistaking it with something else entirely as it was so long ago. Any ideas?

Monster Magnet
Old 5th August 2013, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Over the weekend I watched
The Emperor's New Groove:
Probably one of the best Disney movies out there (just Kronk that is all)
The Nun and the Devil:
Disappointing stretched out and completely dull, just couldn't get into it.
Tokyo Decadence:
Again like the previous film just really hard to get into watching
Old 5th August 2013, 11:03 AM
Cultist

I watched The Conjuring last night and thought it was really good, much better than I was expecting but it did come a bit unstuck toward the end.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:17 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I seem to remember a either later version of the same story or a sequel being shown a few years ago on the "Sci-Fi Channel" or whatever it's called now but I may be mistaking it with something else entirely as it was so long ago. Any ideas?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokyo-Last-M...yo+megalopolis

Probably this. Currently difficult to get as well. Shame because it has some conceptual designs by H.R Geiger and a bigger budget.
troggi likes this.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sleepy hollow

Has to be my favourite Tim Burton film. A fantastic mix of horror and comedy with great performances all round, with a great cast including the great Christopher Lee. 10/10

Elminators

Cheesy sci if adventure from Charles band, the main reason I bought this box set

SciFi Movie Marathon (America 3000, Arena, Eliminators & Time Guardians) DVD New 826663141467 | eBay

It's not going to win any awards but its a fun little movie, which you can enjoy the silliness going on and forget what's going on outside 7.5/10

Arena

Had not seen this before and enjoyed it more than eliminators which might be down to the cast which includes. 8/10

Claudia christian
Marc Alaimo
Armin Shimerman

Like this? Share it using the links below!