Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2013, 08:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Just to say is it wrong to actually get high from a film? Sounds weird but my heads still buzzing from BIRD...
I totally get that too... Now you've inspired me to revist the film, which does tend to get lost in the shuffle with heavyweights like Deep Red and Suspira. And Morricone's theme music is genuinely eerie...
Old 16th September 2013, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Haven't been able to use the forum since june and have only seen 3 films since then as well.
House of wax (remake)
Tactical force
Wee man

I am losing my mind
Old 16th September 2013, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight the wife and I watched Red Riding Hood starring Amanda Seyfried.
It was shit.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Tonight the wife and I watched Red Riding Hood starring Amanda Seyfried.
It was shit.
Ha ha, that's reminded me that I haven't done a 3 word review for awhile
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th September 2013, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

After watching Bird with the Crystal Plumage I watched VAMPIRE AT MIDNIGHT. Not seen this since I had the palace VHS release many years back. Actually BETTER than I remember, its a fun modern take on the vampire tale. No nightstalker but then what is?

After that I watched DESPERATION. Sort of good, but what antagonizes me is what bugged me about the book, it was the fatalistic Americanized interpretation of Christianity that runs through the story. Its more a personal thing having gone to a church school as a kid but there you go. I think it also has something to do with a conversation I had online when I stopped smoking a few years back. Someone asked me if i'd taken the 12 steps programme, I told them no and that I thought it was horseshit. I gave up for myself and by myself and if I ever needed divine help i'd save it for something important. Apparently according to this person I never truly gave up smoking because I hadn't given myself to Jesus.... its this brand of Christianity that seems to permeate Desperation. Apologies if this view offends anyone on here but it really does bug me..
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
After watching Bird with the Crystal Plumage I watched VAMPIRE AT MIDNIGHT. Not seen this since I had the palace VHS release many years back. Actually BETTER than I remember, its a fun modern take on the vampire tale. No nightstalker but then what is?

After that I watched DESPERATION. Sort of good, but what antagonizes me is what bugged me about the book, it was the fatalistic Americanized interpretation of Christianity that runs through the story. Its more a personal thing having gone to a church school as a kid but there you go. I think it also has something to do with a conversation I had online when I stopped smoking a few years back. Someone asked me if i'd taken the 12 steps programme, I told them no and that I thought it was horseshit. I gave up for myself and by myself and if I ever needed divine help i'd save it for something important. Apparently according to this person I never truly gave up smoking because I hadn't given myself to Jesus.... its this brand of Christianity that seems to permeate Desperation. Apologies if this view offends anyone on here but it really does bug me..
I know what you mean, it bugged me when I read the book and watched the film
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th September 2013, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I know what you mean, it bugged me when I read the book and watched the film
I'm all for people believing what they want, but this whole 'lets just trust everything to god' is a dangerous attitude. I was brought up church of england and was always told to take responsibility for my own actions.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:57 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I sure do Nos, and I revisited it a few weeks ago (on the back of Ken Burns' monumental series The West). Incredible film. The Criterion Stagecoach comes with another Ford Silent as an extra, this one a short 4-reeler so must grab a screening of that as well...
It's a stellar release – I was amazed at the picture and sound quality – in a good way!
Old 17th September 2013, 07:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Vampirella (1996) Jeeze! What the hell happened here? Talisa Soto might be easy on the eye but she didnt exactly fill out Vampy's costume much (Well I wasn't watching it for the story line!!!!!) and dont get me started on Roger Daltry's acting abilities!

From 1942:
Mr. Blabbermouth Shush! The walls have ears!
Tarzan's New York Adventure Starts out as more of the same but is actually quite enjoyable!
Mrs. Miniver Stiff upper lip chaps - theres a war on!
The First of the Few Stiff upper lip chaps - theres a war on the way you know!
Casablanca The battle of the anthems scene I thought was great!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post366471
Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 17th September 2013, 08:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Caught up with a friend overnight and had a bit of a marathon, from the theatre to his place.

Started with Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz in 35mm.

Shaun Of The Dead - Eehh, it's definitely a fantastic movie, but I find it wrong to label it a comedy, as while it has its funny bits, it doesn't have enough to call it a comedy in my books and gets really serious often. Anyway, top movie, same opinion as the first time I saw it.

Hot Fuzz - Even better second time round, an absolute riot with an explosive (hehe) finish. Laugh a minute.

After the movie went back to a friends place for the night and watched Deep Red.

Deep Red (Longer Cut) - First time I watched Deep Red I saw this version, so when I got the Arrow release and watched the shorter version, it appealed to me a lot more at the time, as it worked better as a horror movie in my opinion.
But seeing this cut for the first time in a while has made me appreciate it a lot more, it works a lot better as a rounded movie and thriller, and I think I'll be watching this cut from now on, it was like watching the movie for the first time all over again.

The next morning continued the trend of British movies.

Snatch - Fantastic. Never seen so many stories and paths woven together so well, very entertaining, fantastic performances all round, and pretty damn funny too.

Trance - Rather meh really, started off really promising with the whole idea of art heists, then became a jumbled mess, constantly changing itself and bringing in twists, leading to a really shallow and disappointing ending in my opinion.
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga

Like this? Share it using the links below!