Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2013, 12:52 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Completely agree over the disdain towards the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film, easily for me the most over-praised film of 2011. Not an absolutely awful film, but a pretty dreary, excessively po-faced waste of such a great cast. I'm honestly shocked it was from the same director as Let The Right One In.
troggi likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 6th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Watched the new commentary track on Scream Factory's THE FOG.

Genius. Tom Atkins should always do commentary tracks. I also liked the Halloween 3 one with him as well.

Well, off to work. Not sure how long i'm sticking with ASDA. Never really hated a job so much in my life. Was left to recieve a lorry load of Frozen goods monday night and ended up leaving work half an hour late. Not even sure I was supposed to be allowed to do this on my own given i've barely just started work there!

Ah well, applied for a gig at Rymans, a little more manageable and 9-5. Hoping I get it!

Might actually get to see friends and watch films again!
asda have become awful since taking over by wallmart, treat there staff like slaves. know people in america who compare them to the Nazis!
Criticism of Walmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
asda have become awful since taking over by wallmart, treat there staff like slaves. know people in america who compare them to the Nazis!
Criticism of Walmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm really, really slow on the shop floor tidying those shelves, if I don't get quicker i'm gone apparently. Well i'm not that bothered.
troggi likes this.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Who dares wins.

Loved every second of it, it might looked dated as it's set in the 80s but that adds to its charm, it's wonderfully shot and the last 15minutes has you on the edge of your seat. The cast are all great both udy Davis and Ingrid Pitt are well written, we have to have the best cat fight between Collins wife and Pitt. The might be a number of plot holes and the terrorist demands are just silly. It might just be me but I found Collins to be a excellent action hero and would of made a good bond. Can't believe I actually never seen it before 9.5/10

Phantasm 3

Enjoyable but not as good as the first two, the kid has to one of the highlights. 7/10

Phantasm 4

I still don't understand what's going on half the time in this film, and by now you would think Reggie would know not too have anything too do with women! 7.5/10

Nightmare on elm street 3

My second favorite. A great addition to the franchise before it started going down hill quickly until a new nightmare. Many highlights which include Freddys back story with his mother, welcome to prime time bitch and puppet death. Only downside is the stupid ass wank master, sorry wizard master. Without that it would of scored a ten. 8.5/10

Next up cellar dweller. Picture quality is ok and probably the best we will see, but so glad to finally have this and dungeonmaster.
Phantasm 1 & 4 have always been my favourites too!
troggi likes this.
Old 6th November 2013, 01:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Completely agree over the disdain towards the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film, easily for me the most over-praised film of 2011. Not an absolutely awful film, but a pretty dreary, excessively po-faced waste of such a great cast. I'm honestly shocked it was from the same director as Let The Right One In.
No it wasn't awful in that tear your eyeballs out and beat your head against the wall to get the memories out type of way. But never has a film made me so sleepy. Everything was just grey and dull and just phenomenally boring.
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.
Old 6th November 2013, 01:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I'm really, really slow on the shop floor tidying those shelves, if I don't get quicker i'm gone apparently. Well i'm not that bothered.
surprised their not dressed in black uniforms shouting snell snell at you
troggi likes this.
Old 6th November 2013, 07:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
BFI Flipside put TBSR out a while back Trog. Yes Me likee Last Days Of Man On Earth (alternate title) A LOT. Even though it is NADA like the book (well, I lie but there are major differences cough) I just dig seeing the cream of British acting (in both films) in such bizarre surroundings!!
It is a very long time (@ 40 years or so) since I read the "Jerry Cornelius" books but even I remember that the film and the book are like an ill-fitting suit in that they only fit where they touch! (You can blame my grandma for that analogy).
  • Jerry Catherine and Frank Cornelius
  • Miss Brunner
  • Needle Guns
  • Drugs and alcohol
  • Various transport methods
  • Hermaphrodite
  • "It's a very tasty world!"
All the rest is filler.

Despite the film's failings, or because of them, maybe, I still love it and ache to see more of Moorcock's creations on the big, or small, screen. The man is a genius of the late 60s and early 70s in the same way as Alan Moore is of the 90s 'til nowadays. The whole "Eternal Champion" and "Multiverse" is crying out for adaptation into film. My only qualms are possibly the same as every other Moorcock readers; will producers and directors leave well enough alone to remain faithful to the characters and, after the mess made of "John Carter" can they make intelligent fantasy films?

Here's hoping that one day they can!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 6th November 2013, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cellar dweller

Not the greatest picture quality but glad to have it, not as good as a remember but still a fun little movie. 7/1o

Dungeon master aka rage war

Fantastic with have a number of stories which are all linked together, some nice effects for its time and budget. We even have a cameo from w.a.s.p. Silly fantastic cheesy fun. Picture quality a lot better than cellar dweller. Can't see how this is a pg13 as we have a shot a a beaver!! 9/10

Rosemary's baby

Picture quality is very good in my opinion. Not much to say apart from the tension builds until the terrifying conclusion. You don't know who can be trusted and just proves what I have always believed old people are evil and creepy and can't be trusted. One of the best horrors of all time, a chilling masterpeice 10/10
Old 7th November 2013, 09:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The French Connection

Haven't seen this since I was about 10, but I remembered the thrill of that car chase, even if I forgot a lot of the plot! Anyway, Friedkin's film allows you to soak in its malaise before gaining momentum, and you can almost feel that NYC chill and taste that back-alley smog. Hackman is an edgy powerhouse, while Scheider is the calm to Hackman's storm (and criminally underused). Spanish star Fernando Rey is our French drug baron, forever slipping out of grasp - a terrific subway scene has Rey playing train hopscotch with the pursuing Hackman. And I'd forgotten the abrupt, almost Chinatown style ending completely.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Time to kill (1996).

A superb ensemble cast of the like you never see nowadays helps turn this superior adaptation of John Grisham's classic novel into a top notch thriller.

By turns provocative, intense, gripping, thought provoking and moving. A Time to Kill is one of the best movies of the nineties and a modern day classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a-time-to-kill-movie-poster-1996-1020190221.jpg (83.0 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!