Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179434Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2013, 10:07 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched a lot since I last posted in here and will do a full write up later when I have the time. Last night I saw Suspiria on 35mm at the BFI. absolutely incredible. I came out and my ears were ringing because of the soundtrack. If that's how the films meant to look then the Nouveaux bluray is overblown in terms of colour and contrast. One of the best experiences I've had in a cinema.

And Argento in conversation with Alan Jones before the film was amazing too. It was filmed and is gonna be on BFiPlayer so presumably everyone will get to see it.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Watched a lot since I last posted in here and will do a full write up later when I have the time. Last night I saw Suspiria on 35mm at the BFI. absolutely incredible. I came out and my ears were ringing because of the soundtrack. If that's how the films meant to look then the Nouveaux bluray is overblown in terms of colour and contrast. One of the best experiences I've had in a cinema.

And Argento in conversation with Alan Jones before the film was amazing too. It was filmed and is gonna be on BFiPlayer so presumably everyone will get to see it.
Would love to see that on the big screen.

I've watched a few films recently, here's a quick recap:

Trick 'r Treat: First time watching this and most definitely not the last, absolutely loved it!

Wishmaster: Cheesier than a Dairylea sandwich, but always a lot of fun, especially seeing so many Horror icons in one film together

Rosemary's Baby: Caught this on TV the other night, first time in ages and I still consider it Polanski's best film, really must buy this on BD at some point

And yesterday I finally took another trip to Middle Earth with Peter Jackson with the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
Despite being annoyed that he's turned a short novel into a trilogy, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next installment. It's fair to say I've forgiven him for King Kong now
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th November 2013, 10:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

The Australian equivalent of BFI, ACMI, did a similar thing in Melbourne last year, Suspiria with live Goblin score!!

AND IT WAS ****ING UNCLASSIFIED AND SOLD OUT SO I DOUBLE MISSED OUT AND I STILL CRY TO THIS DAY
PaulD and troggi like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 8th November 2013, 05:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thor 2. The dark world

Fantastic really enjoyed it, the film flew by felt like a hour not two. The best of all the marvel movies. Tom Hiddleston as Loki is still the best thing in the movies all his scenes are a pleasure to watch. 9.5/10
troggi likes this.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Shanghai (2010)

Despite a great cast and fantastic production values this 1941 set thriller about the impending Japanese occupation of Shanghai and the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor basically fails to thrill. John Cusack, Chow Yun Fat, Gong Li, Ken Watanabe, Franka Potente, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and David Morse all give quite fine performances but the films po-faced and uninvolving storyline do them no favours.

Second unit director Vic Armstrong must have been bored out of his mind considering the lack of action sequences compared to his regular day job. Shanghai is one of those films where everyone connected with it clearly thought they were making something special. Half an hour into it this viewer could see they'd failed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shanghai-movie-poster21.jpg (98.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th November 2013, 11:44 PM
Cult Addict

Last night I watched Seven Psychopaths.
One of those films that fancies itself as the new Pulp Fiction, the random threads all kind of come together with the off beat dialogue kind of thing. Not a bad cast really with Colin Squirrel, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken. Unfortunately only Walken seems to be on form (as ever).
Biggest gripe I had with it was the swearing. As I've probably mentioned before somewhere I don't mind the profanities particularly but not when the script writers seem to have padded things out with f's just to fill the time. Rockwells character literally uses more '****in''s than actual words.
Still in places a very funny film and Walken absolutely oozes cool.
ArgentoFan1987, Zann and troggi like this.
Old 9th November 2013, 12:17 AM
Cult Master

I wish people woul stop saying how good 'Trick R Treat' is

It's in my "to watch" collection, but I am inevitably going to be disappointed after all the plaudits it has got!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th November 2013, 05:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Enter the Void

Extended German BD.

Firstly I had to watch this in shifts...though perhaps that says more about my attention span than anything else. Initially I found it pretentious and self-indulgent and still do to a degree but there's an abundance of creativity on display hear on all fronts. It really has to be seen to be believed and can be utterly hypnotic with crazy visuals morphing from one shape/form/time to another, genuine jump out of your seat moments and at times abject grief and misery captured far too well! Very cool way of getting round the censors (classifiers?) in some of the sex scenes too which actually made them a lot less dull than they would've been without this effect (won't spoil it for anyone by saying anymore).
Delirium and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 9th November 2013, 05:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Last night I watched Seven Psychopaths.
One of those films that fancies itself as the new Pulp Fiction.
Avoided like the plague for this precise reason. Saw the trailer, looked like a total turkey...worse, wannabe turkey. Shame, great cast
ArgentoFan1987 and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!