All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2013, 11:09 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think the poor acting, plot, effects, and dialogue may have also had a teensy bit to do with it
troggi likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I was worried that it was going to turn into something resembling a recent franchise I refuse to name in the same post of this excellent film, especially with teenage love story element of the plot, but thankfully it didn't.
That's exactly why I've been avoiding it, but keep hearing nothing except incredible things about it. I'm going to have to get this on pay day
troggi likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Stephen Kings The Dead Zone (1983)

Now my fav Stephen King film IMO

What makes this my favourite Stephen King adapted film is that despite the fantastical elements the director and screenwriter manages to keep the characters and elements of the story, above all, grounded into a reality which the audience can engage and, within these elements, relate to.

I will admit I have never read the novel so I can't comment on how the book handles this aspect however. In addition the film presents some quite deep ethical themes, as I'm sure the book also does, as a consequence of this ability and asks some questions for the audience to ponder and its implications after the film is over.

Add in a fantastic performance by Christopher Walken who is well supported by the performances from the rest of the main cast and some visually striking sequences in relation to his unique psychic ability and you have a very enjoyable film.
Its a shame that, as far as I can tell, this film gets overlooked by others such as The Shining or IT because in my opinion it is so more memorable.

Overall a 9/10.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Stephen Kings The Dead Zone (1983)

Now my fav Stephen King film IMO

What makes this my favourite Stephen King adapted film is that despite the fantastical elements the director and screenwriter manages to keep the characters and elements of the story, above all, grounded into a reality which the audience can engage and, within these elements, relate to.

I will admit I have never read the novel so I can't comment on how the book handles this aspect however. In addition the film presents some quite deep ethical themes, as I'm sure the book also does, as a consequence of this ability and asks some questions for the audience to ponder and its implications after the film is over.

Add in a fantastic performance by Christopher Walken who is well supported by the performances from the rest of the main cast and some visually striking sequences in relation to his unique psychic ability and you have a very enjoyable film.
Its a shame that, as far as I can tell, this film gets overlooked by others such as The Shining or IT because in my opinion it is so more memorable.

Overall a 9/10.
Been years since I read the book, but from what I remember Cronenberg's film is quite faithful to it
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th November 2013, 03:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bigfoot. God awful schlock on the horror Channel. AVOID.

The Devil Rides Out. Teattime on THC. "Throw it in that damn monstrosity's face!!" Never Fails. Crap print though cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2013, 03:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Bigfoot. God awful schlock on the horror Channel. AVOID.

The Devil Rides Out. Teattime on THC. "Throw it in that damn monstrosity's face!!" Never Fails. Crap print though cough.
They always seem to have crap prints on THC, I watched Pieces on there a few years back (before I owned the Arrow DVD) and it was barely watchable, same goes for Bay of Blood too
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th November 2013, 03:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Been years since I read the book, but from what I remember Cronenberg's film is quite faithful to it
cool, not sure if I should read the book now then.

I should have mentioned this is probably my fav Cronenberg film I have seen so far aswell as being my favourite adaption of a SK novel.
troggi likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Rocky II for the first time. I have absoloutely no interest I. Sports, but I loved the first Rocky ever since I first watched it last year. I thought it was incredible! Rocky II was equally as good. Brilliant performances by both Stallone and Burgess Meredith! And the end fight had me on the edge of my seat! 8.5/10
Zann and troggi like this.
Old 13th November 2013, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Just watched Rocky II for the first time. I have absoloutely no interest I. Sports, but I loved the first Rocky ever since I first watched it last year. I thought it was incredible! Rocky II was equally as good. Brilliant performances by both Stallone and Burgess Meredith! And the end fight had me on the edge of my seat! 8.5/10
Is this the one with Balboa and Creed rolling around in the surf together or is that III?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Final Encounter (2000)

Two human colonies on a distant planet are locked in a brutal hundred year war until a brave group of soldier cadets decide its time to end the fighting by going on one final push.

To me films such as Final Encounter are far worse than any low budget horror tat. The film clearly had a bit of money behind it. The films effects and action sequences are well done, in fact some of the CGI work is excellent and far more convincing than films with lots more money thrown at them. The producers also managed to get a couple of direct to video stars in Dean Cain and Thomas Ian Griffith.

This is all well and good but they should have hired a decent screen writer instead. Final Encounter despite its full on action is extremely boring. All the actors are wasted by poor characterization with a story line so tedious and linear it barely kept me awake. There's really nothing more to add - great effects, dire story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186111.1020.A.jpg (89.8 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!