Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th December 2013, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012).

Having never read Seth Grahame-Smith's graphic novel of the same name i have no idea how faithful to the inked page the film is. Nor do i care actually.

Despite having mixed thoughts about the film before i started, i found i really enjoyed this daft story of the secret life of America's 16th and most famous President. The secret being of course, as the title says that Lincoln is a vampire hunter.

Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, he of Nightwatch / Daywatch fame, shows a good hand for fantastical action set pieces, i found the final train escape quite gripping, which is a rarity in any CGI enhanced film. The huge battle set pieces were also very well staged, although i don't recall there being mention of Vampires during the battle of Gettysburg in the history books. The film's historical setting also made it a more attractive proposition to me.

Thankfully the script has just the right tone, making Abraham Lincoln a fun, action packed film that doesn't take itself too seriously and an enjoyable cast that follow suit.

I have grumbles. The vampires weren't especially scary, the film wasn't bloody enough, and Rufus Sewell wasn't the most memorable vamp villain you'll come across in film. Finally, was the addition of the slavery issues really necessary in a comic book vampire film?

Little niggles aside, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is an enjoyable slice of hokum and a nice departure from the straight down the middle horror i have lined up for the rest of this month.
Old 12th December 2013, 04:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

99 Women (1969).

An inescapable women's prison fortress. An unscrupulous prison warden. A beautiful new prisoner, number 99. She is not a number, she will be a free woman...

When approaching Jess Franco's 99 Women its best not to go into it expecting a cauldron of his usual sleaze. For one thing 99 Women is a Harry Alan Towers production. Towers was instrumental with Lew Grade in bringing commercial tv to England. Towers worked with John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier, Ralph Richardson, and Orson Welles, who later played Long John Silver in Harry’s Treasure Island (1972), so lurid close ups of Lina Romay's pubic hair is instantly a no no for poor Jess. In fact for 99 Women Romay herself is a no no. Franco instead has the luxury of working with established film stars in Oscar winner Mercedes McCambridge, Herbert Lom and Maria Schell as well as bevy of International beauties including Rosalba Neri, Lucianna Paluzzi and Tower's wife Maria Rohm. In fact Franco is so restrained that nudity is kept to a bare minimum and the one major lesbian sex scene is filmed in extreme close up and often out of focus. The film does have hardcore scenes in some countries, however as Franco says in the interview on the disc, they were not filmed by him, nor do they feature any of his cast. So anyone opting to seek out those versions are not actually seeing the film as it was intended by the director, producer or anyone with anything to do with the production.

Being a Tower's film, what the film lacks in depravity it makes up for in fabulous international locations, this time Brazil. Franco makes full use of some lovely beach and jungle filming. The up market feel of the film brings out the best in Jess Franco the director as he keeps the story tight, even to the point of adding tension to proceedings. In fact this is probably Franco's greatest achievement in technical accomplishment, so for those wishing to find out if the great sleaze master could direct would do well to look here. Those after basic WIP thrills should probably venture elsewhere.

The UK release from Mediumrare offers a nice anamorphic 1:66:1 widescreen print and extras including an interview and deleted scenes. I would suspect its a port straight from Blue Underground's Unrated Directors Cut release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99-Women-b-movie-basement-32040340-1673-2560.jpg (93.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th December 2013, 04:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthehero View Post
Yea both are decent centipede 2 is definitely over the top but that's what makes it good. The main characters in both do have a rough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I loved the first one!
Old 12th December 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Are they any good?
Just don't bother with the UK versions. Trimmed is putting it mildly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2013, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched OHMSS. Diana Rigg!!! Cough.

Aaand Historia Sexual de O(1984, JF)
& Vampire Killer Barbys(94, JF)

Two films that yet again, couldn't be further apart. O is an exemplar of the banality of perversion, as a fairly youthful actress is fingered blah blah. I now realise that i'm becoming jaded....if the sight of Paul Mueller licking a corpse in Hot Nights of Linda didn't get my juices flowing etc, what chance has this seedy wannabe? ho hum, as always i'l rewatch when less pissed.

VKB I enjoyed, due to a high grade of cheese, a silly little confection of a film, and far better than Suck ('09)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2013, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Settling down to watch big trouble in little china
Rik, oaxaca and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 12th December 2013, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Settling down to watch big trouble in little china
Can't wait for Amazon to ship my steelbook. I'm interested to see if Arrow's version is better than the one I have on Blu
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th December 2013, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Can't wait for Amazon to ship my steelbook. I'm interested to see if Arrow's version is better than the one I have on Blu
Looks lovely but I haven't seen the American version. But the steel book is beautiful , get turned on looking at it!!
Rik likes this.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Back home so I watched Siberian Education an interesting film marred by John Malkovitch's ridiculous accent.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And soon the Darkness never seen this before but heard off it,
Boy what have I missed a very good film in lots of aspects, a slow burner that keep you interested because of the atmophere, tension and how well it's made,
It's films like this along with Twisted nerve, peeping Tom, psycho and several other films that where made in the 60/70 that they simply don't make films as good as they use to and you don't need loads of money, special effects, gore, shock value, big actors etc etc to make a very good film, all you need is the film to be potrayed well with a nice build up and a good music score.

Can anyone recommend me any other films along these lines ? that I might have missed out on.

Like this? Share it using the links below!