Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2013, 07:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched Trance again last night. This is the film Danny Boyle made whilst working on theOlympics opening ceremony. It reminds me a lot of Shallow Grave - but that's no bad thing. I recommend you take alook at it.
troggi likes this.
Old 21st December 2013, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE BURNING.This hormone driven, teen slasher still stands the test of time. I really like the way after the opening killing of the prostitute, it takes bloody ages until the blood starts flowing again making the last third of the film a blood and flesh delight.

THIS IS THE END. If you like Seth Rogen's other work you'll enjoy this Armageddon set comedy as a group of actors play themselves in The End Times. It had enough knob jokes to keep me laughing and an excellent cameo by Channing Tatum as a gimp.

AFTERSHOCK. I really enjoyed this surprisingly nasty disaster film from Eli Roth and co. There is a real sense of meanness underlying the film as it changes from travelogue to disaster film into a horror/thriller. Worth a look.
Old 21st December 2013, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthehero View Post
finally watched this. I knew I'd like it and I wasn't wrong great flick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hated it thought it was dull boring and to long ,
Maybe ill have to give it a 2 go ......sometime ..
fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.
Old 21st December 2013, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I hated it thought it was dull boring and to long
That's what I thought when I saw at the cinema, and my opinion didn't change when I saw it recently at home.
Old 21st December 2013, 08:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Suspiria by Dario Argento.

Have not seen this in ages. His best film IMO. Haven't seen many Italian movies of late but I hope to rectify this now that I have over two weeks off work. Colours seem to jump off the screen. Next Italian movie to watch..............City of the Living Dead from Blue Underground.
Old 21st December 2013, 09:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

… and the award for worst film of 2013 (and possibly the last 20 years) goes to … (drum roll) … Film 43 which I won on-line but turns out to be an appallingly inept comedy that relies on offending its audience as the way to get its laughs. Truly terrible and even though I got it for free I still feel I paid too much.
troggi likes this.
Old 21st December 2013, 11:25 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's what I thought when I saw at the cinema, and my opinion didn't change when I saw it recently at home.
Shame, out of the Tarantino films I have seen it may be my favourite or at least pretty high up there. Certainly one of the better films I've seen this year.
keirarts and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 21st December 2013, 11:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

geekdog.jpg
Uh-oh! I may have gotten over the trauma of watching "Haicurlers" films but I dived back into the shallow end of the cinematic pond too quickly and steeply with; "The Lost Jungle" (1934), "Mesa of Lost Women" (1953), "Assignment: Outer Space" (1960), and "Laser Mission" (1990)! I now have figurative gravel rash from scraping the bottom!

"The Lost Jungle" (1934) is disappointing in it's total lack of sense and it's cruel treatment of animals. It "stars" Clyde Beatty, an animal trainer and circus star, as himself rescuing his girlfriend from an island that has African and Asian wildlife on it in an excuse to show lions and tigers in the same film. At best "The Lost Jungle" is naive hog-wash but the unthinking cruelty portrayed in it is inexcusable in this day and age! -7/10!

"Mesa of Lost Women" (1953) is a wonderful film - except for one thing. The story is great fun, the acting is okay, the script is fine, the effects are passable for the time. What's wrong with it then? The bloody jingly jangly Spanish guitar is what's wrong with it! If any film needed an option to turn off the score it's "Mesa of Lost Women" (1953)! I'd give it a high 15/10 if it wasn't for that incessant strumming! 12/10 for everything else!

"Assignment: Outer Space" (1960) - at least it is a sci-fi film! Some decent effects for this pre-"2001: A Space Odyssey" movie. 5/10 for trying!

"Laser Mission" (1990) has no excuses! An action movie vehicle for Brandon Lee and Ernest Borgnine which falls completely flat. I think that it was supposed to have some comedy in it but I may be wrong. Totally unbelievable and not a laser in sight! 5/10 for giving Borgnine some work!

I deserve a lie down after those turkeys so - 'night, 'night!

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

For me Django Unchained could have cut at least 45 mins from the running time
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:21 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

I feel very much in the minority on it, for me the 160 minute or so run time flew by. Moreso on the second viewing.
keirarts likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)

Like this? Share it using the links below!