Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2014, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That was my main problem with the film as some of it looks a bit like a video game, such as the sequence where the dwarfs are floating down the river in barrels and the elves are picking off the orcs with their bows and arrows. That sequence, plus another couple, also felt like a video game.
I totaly agree. If I had been watching on someones tv, I would've thought they were playing a game
Old 4th January 2014, 04:26 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Tremors 2 - (1995)

Not as good as the original, obviously, but not an unpleasant watch either. The onscreen banter that existed between Bacon and Ward in the first movie is sorely missed here. Nice to see Michael Gross back as survivalist Burt Gummer. Movie seemed to combine CGI with practical and animatronic effects, to good effect for the most part. The final scene came straight out of the Albert Whitlock book of matte paintings

I thought Tremors 2 was almost as good as the first. It actually had a great story. I think if Bacon had returned, it would've been just as good.
Old 4th January 2014, 04:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Livid. (2011).

The second film from French co-directors Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury. I was really looking forward to this after the assault and battery on the senses and nerves that was their debut Inside. Now, Inside is perhaps my favourite horror film from the 21st century so expectations were high even though i felt Livid could never live up to the brilliance of that film.

Fortunately i was right. Livid can't live (ahem) with Inside but it is a mighty fine piece of horror in its own right. Essentially the film is a vampire film with a difference, but it also encompasses Gothic horror with its haunted house style first half and psychological horror as well. Although a highly original film in its own right i felt the film makers gave a big nod to classic Italian horror especially Dario Argento and his seminal Suspiria.

The film wouldn't seem perfect without some nasty stuff after seeing Inside , so Bustillo and Maury again deliver with some genuinely gruesome scenes which jolt you out of your seat and offer nice juxtaposition against some of the more beautiful examples of their art with the wonderful cinematography on offer.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Livid_Poster.jpg (57.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th January 2014, 07:15 PM
Active Cultist

Rob Zombies The Lords of Salem was a piece of shite,not givin it a second chance anytime soon.Saw Bava's gothic The Whip and the Body,the classic Black Christmas on German Blu-ray,Del Toro's Pacific Rim 3D,Predator 3D,Gravity 3D...Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers,Hexen Sabbat (The Sentinel) on German Blu-ray,James Wan's excellent The Conjuring,and I've been showing my girlfriend some of the classics (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Day of the Dead, Hellraiser, The Thing, Halloween...).I have to watch Synapse's Demons Steelbook and Scream Factory's The Beast Within soon, oh yeah, and those Maniac Cop sequels too!
demonknight likes this.
Old 4th January 2014, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Crystal Lake Memories Blu-ray Disc 1;

Almost four hours watched on the first six FTT movies. Excellent stuff so far. Keeping disc 2 for next weekend as the wife and I settle in to watch World War Z later tonight. The CLM doc is MASSIVE
Old 4th January 2014, 09:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Decided to start a season of Arrow Video screenings with Vamp which has been a favourite of mine since I caught the Moviedrome screening back in the late 80's. For me this film is endlessly rewatchable. Perfect evenings viewing. I then followed it up with Rampart, great cast make a largely unoriginal script interesting.

Tomorrow I will continue my Arrow Video season followed by a trip to the cinema to see The Wall.
Old 4th January 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict

Just started to watch the directors cut of Deep Red while the international cut is still fresh in my mind. Hang on, whats all these white specks on the opening sequence? Tell me those are supposed to be there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.2 KB, 12 views)

DVD and BD collection

Last edited by Hawkmonger; 4th January 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

THE PAPERBOY. Excellent, if at times wildly over the top, swamp noir that overflows with sexual and racial tensions. Highly recommended.

SCARY STORIES.

Three films from The Children's Film Foundation from the 70s and 80s. The first film in the set: "The Man From Nowhere" is a real treat, both charming and delightful in execution, it had me smiling from beginning to end. The other two "Haunters of the Deep" and "Out of the Darkness" are very good as well, especially the latter one which has some great inter play between the child actors. Highly recommended.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Just started to watch the directors cut of Deep Red while the international cut is still fresh in my mind. Hang on, whats all these white specks on the opening sequence? Tell me those are supposed to be there!
Are they something to do with your TV being on it's side!

EASY A.

I don't know why it has taken me this long to watch this, I love smart teen comedies and this is just great.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
EASY A.

I don't know why it has taken me this long to watch this, I love smart teen comedies and this is just great.
You can't beat the fantastic Emma Stone. A great film.

Just seen her smouldering as a gangsters moll in Gangster Squad (2013).

A rather good account of the life of notorious LA mob boss Mickey Cohen. Josh Brolin plays the detective who recruits fellow officers to bring about an end to the crime lords reign of terror.

I must admit it did seem like The Untouchables lite in places, yet the film had enough shoot outs and cool moments to garner repeat viewings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gangster_squad_emma_stone_poster.jpg (89.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 4th January 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!