Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2014, 02:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cassavetes' films move something deep within me. The journey I take is unforgettable each time I watch one. A true original voice.
Old 15th January 2014, 09:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Innocents (1961).

Confession time.

This was my first ever viewing of The Innocents and i was completely underwhelmed by it.

Here lies the problem.

Its all Michael Winner's fault.

I love his film The Nightcomers starring Marlon Brando and Stephanie Beecham. Whilst many see it as dross i actually love the kinky games depicted by Winner in his take on Henry James classic story The Turn of the Screw. The Nightcomers is actually a prequel to The Innocents, telling the story of the governess and her sadistic lover. The Innocents is technically a sequel to Winner's film even though it came ten years earlier. So whilst Deborah Kerr, as the repressed new governess to the children is discovering what may have happened to the children she has been brought in to look after, i always knew and felt a step ahead of proceedings.

In a way, due to the plot similarities and The Innocents being a totally different film in terms of violence, sex and its general tone, it felt like i was watching a watered down studio remake akin to the likes of Prom Night.

Now having said this, The Innocents is clearly a very good film. Thick with atmosphere, and some beautifully eerie scenes, helped by some glorious photography courtesy of Freddie Francis, and a fine performance by Kerr, it never quite reached the heights i felt it was supposed to.

An unusual take sir!! But that's what it's all about really....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th January 2014, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Here we go then....

Some posts contain spoilers

Fuego (Armando Bo, 1968) (Troma dvd)
This luridly overwraught little film (featuring a real life couple who make Jess & Lina look like the Hamiltons imo) is a must for Russ Meyer fans, if only for Isabella Sarli's er, attributes cough. Featuring an act of "sexual terrorism" that predates a certain J Waters oeuvre, this was quite literally an unexpected present.....

Wrong Cops (Quentin Dupieux, 2013)
From the Rubber guy, it ain't Miami Vice. Aptly titled is this. I laughed a lot. New favourite director!! Features a certain mechanical animal in a great minor role btw.

Room 237(Rodney Baker, 2012) Metrodome uk dvd.
I may have mentioned this before. Tough. If conspiracy theories get you up in the morning, this is highly recommended, if you love cinema (the classic and/or the schlock cough) this is highly recommended. Enough said.

Offerings (1989, Christopher Reynolds) 23rd Century dvd.
Halloween ripoff (the score!! ) Most of the action takes place offscreen sadly. Even as tawdry as this was, was more enjoyable than my recent viewing of H4...speaking of Danielle Harris.....

Stakeland (Jim Mickle, 2010). Bleaker than The Road. I felt that once they established the premise of this, they then took it down a path that didn't leave any wiggle room imo. From the makers of Mulberry Street.

Bangkok Haunted (2001, Oxide Pang & Pisut Praesangeam) Tartan uk dvd. 3 spooky stories related by friends. Felt the last tale had the most legs imo. There was nothing wrong per se with the rest, but I knows what I likes

Beauty Is Embarrassing (2012, Neil Berkerley)
Documentary on Wayne White, who amongst other things helped shape Pee Wee's Playhouse. If you need some cheering up, I'd recommend this, even if his "wacky" behaviour may grate with more sensitive souls harumph.

The Money Shot (Bill McAdams jr, 2010)
Idiots blow a loan sharks cash on a 48 hr party (not seen, only the aftermath) so have to make a horror film to recoup the moolah. As the film in part seems to revolve in getting a 17 year old character to get her tits out, I felt slightly uncomfortable. Not recommended.

The World's End (Edgar Wright, 2013)
Felt more forced than the last 2. Some nice bits, but the air of self congratulation ruined it for me unlike.........

This Is The End (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogan, 2013)
Ever wanted to see Rhianna sucked in to a fiery maw?? Then this is the film for you. Hate Jonah Hill with a passion? TTITF4U. Ok, may fall flat if you don't dig Hollywood making films about Hollywood (and wassup with Jay Baruchel's Christian Slater bit? A even more watered down Jack Nicholson we don't need cough). And Emma Watson's cameo is the best bit haha.

Lemora: A Child's Tale Of The Supernatural (1973, Richard Blackburn) Synapse dvd.
Peerless. Haven't seen it? Then rectify that.

Lovely Molly (Eduardo Sanchez, 2010) Metrodome uk dvd.
An interesting idea, but the kitchen sink approach dissipates any tension imo. Better than Altered though....

Fantomas: The Directors Cut live (Ipecac dvd)
Patton's supergroup blaze through the album in San Francisco. Recommended if you like him, bizarre covers etc. Though the director needs restraining (every trick in his visual book is used it seems).

Slaughter (1972, Jack Starrett) MGM us dvd.
Jim Brown don't take no shit. Not from the pigs, not from The Mob, not even from his woman!! After italians blow up his dad, JB goes on a rampage. A hoot from start to finish.

American Hustle (2013, David O Russell)
Only watched this due to my mates mancrush on Bradley Cooper. Meh.

Human Lanterns (1982, Chung Sun)
One Of The Shaw Brothers "horror" films, regarding an ancient debt, some tarts and some super wirework. First time watching this, and it won't be the last!!!

I'm sure I've missed something out........

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th January 2014, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Sentinel (1977).

I'm not sure how Michael Winner got away with this but somehow he assembled probably the greatest cast ever for a horror movie - Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith, John Carradine, Arthur Kennedy, Christopher Walken, Jeff Goldblum, Beverley D'Angelo, Eli Wallach, Chris Sarandon, Martin Balsam, Sylvia Miles and Tom Berenger. Unfortunately with such a fine cast the majority of them are underused in a ninety minute film, especially as the lead role of the model is given to Cristina Raines, and it is through her eyes that we meet everyone else who come and go at regular intervals.

The film, about a model who moves into a new appartment in New York only to find it is the gateway to hell, is derivitive in the very least. It borrows all over the place from The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Freaks and The Omen, but clearly influenced Lucio Fulci when he came to make The Beyond. Taken as a whole The Sentinel is an entertaining movie, yet for all the gory shocks and typical Winner moments, the film does drag during the opening third. Winner pulls off his usual trick of being able to shock his viewers and critics alike with with brutal stabbings, Beverley D'Angelo's masturbation scene and the use of real deformed people during the final reels, and the make up used for John Carradine is now practically an iconic image from horror cinema.

As a second time viewing i enjoyed The Sentinel much more than when i first saw it a year ago. In truth, whilst being enjoyable, its a bit of a mess with its pace and structure, however the scenes of madness and violence carried me along to its still shocking conclusion with a lot more interest this time around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sentinel_77-poster-2.jpg (53.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th January 2014, 07:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

The original and the best.
Old 15th January 2014, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Sentinel (1977).

I'm not sure how Michael Winner got away with this but somehow he assembled probably the greatest cast ever for a horror movie - Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith, John Carradine, Arthur Kennedy, Christopher Walken, Jeff Goldblum, Beverley D'Angelo, Eli Wallach, Chris Sarandon, Martin Balsam, Sylvia Miles and Tom Berenger. Unfortunately with such a fine cast the majority of them are underused in a ninety minute film, especially as the lead role of the model is given to Cristina Raines, and it is through her eyes that we meet everyone else who come and go at regular intervals.

The film, about a model who moves into a new appartment in New York only to find it is the gateway to hell, is derivitive in the very least. It borrows all over the place from The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Freaks and The Omen, but clearly influenced Lucio Fulci when he came to make The Beyond. Taken as a whole The Sentinel is an entertaining movie, yet for all the gory shocks and typical Winner moments, the film does drag during the opening third. Winner pulls off his usual trick of being able to shock his viewers and critics alike with with brutal stabbings, Beverley D'Angelo's masturbation scene and the use of real deformed people during the final reels, and the make up used for John Carradine is now practically an iconic image from horror cinema.

As a second time viewing i enjoyed The Sentinel much more than when i first saw it a year ago. In truth, whilst being enjoyable, its a bit of a mess with its pace and structure, however the scenes of madness and violence carried me along to its still shocking conclusion with a lot more interest this time around
Great review never seen it before sounds interesting , so just ordered it
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th January 2014, 07:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Since Sunday I found time to watch

Dawn of the Dead
White House Down
Big Lebowski, The
Foxy Brown
Day of the Dead

Might try to watch Demons and Demons 2 before the weekend and may squeeze in a visit to the cinema to see Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 15th January 2014, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They live

Forgotten how much fun this film is and the commentary on greed and capitalism is probably even more relative now than when it came out. Piper is believable and for a wrestler his acting skills aren't too bad. The PQ is very good and this is one of those films you will never get bored with. 9/10

Terror train

Not the most shocking or graphic slasher and it was no surprise who the killer was/is. But with have likeable characters, good acting and decent atmosphere and the lovely Jamie lee it's not half bad. we also have David copperfield but don't let that put you off . Not the best slasher but certainly not the worst. 7.5/10

Next up horrors of the black museum.
Old 15th January 2014, 08:57 PM
Active Cultist

The Hills have Eyes remake

Surely one of if not the best of the modern remakes. Pretty intense in parts, well filmed and acted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 15th January 2014, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Great review never seen it before sounds interesting , so just ordered it
Thanks Trebor.

Hope you enjoy it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!