Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179608Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2014, 07:11 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this film.
It was different to the usual Stiller fare, which was refreshing. Absolutely no slapstick or crude humour, just a decent story with some nice photography, etc.
Old 16th January 2014, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Translavania 6-5000

Story about two newspaper reports (Jeff goldblum and Ed begley jr)who are sent to translavania to look into reports of Frankenstein. We have stars such as Jeffery jones ( Howard the duck, ferris bullers day off) and a young Michel Richards ( Kramer from Seinfeld ). But for the most it's unfunny and a lot of the jokes fall flat and cast really don't seem to be enjoying themselves and it has to have the worst looking wolfman ever, only real highlight is Geena Davis as a female vampire. 5/10

Night train to terror

On a train with have satan and god who are fighting for souls of people in three stories. Also on the train we have a godawful band who sing the same song after each story and who don't know that there fate is also being decided

First story is about a man after a car accident wakes up in a sanatorium and is made to kill young woman using a drug, this was probably my least favorite story, but it did have a good amount of gore and nudity.

Second story. About a young man who falls in love with a young woman who is under the control of a older man, the older man grows jeoulse as they fall in love , along the way they join a sort of death club where the members play Russian roulette type games.

Third story. Is about nazis and the antichrist, I enjoyed this one and the actor playing the antichrist was very disturbing, but like all the other stories it's very disjointed and confusing as they are taking from longer films which have been cut down . Will be interesting to see if I can find full versions of them. 7/10

Now watching Wilard and it's brilliant from what I have watched, worth a lot more than the penny I paid for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by trebor8273; 16th January 2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Translavania 6-5000

Story about two newspaper reports (Jeff goldblum and Ed begley jr)who are sent to translavania to look into reports of Frankenstein. We have stars such as Jeffery jones ( Howard the duck, ferris bullers day off) and a young Michel Richards ( Kramer from Seinfeld ). But for the most it's unfunny and a lot of the jokes fall flat and cast really don't seem to be enjoying themselves and it has to have the worst looking wolfman ever, only real highlight is Geena Davis as a female vampire. 5/10

Night train to terror

On a train with have satan and god who are fighting for souls of people in three stories. Also on the train we have a godawful band who sing the same song after each story and who don't know that there fate is also being decided

First story is about a man after a car accident wakes up in a sanatorium and is made to kill young woman using a drug, this was probably my least favorite story, but it did have a good amount of gore and nudity.

Second story. About a young man who falls in love with a young woman who is under the control of a older man, the older man grows jeoulse as they fall in love , along the way they join a sort of death club where the members play Russian roulette type games.

Third story. Is about nazis and the antichrist, I enjoyed this one and the actor playing the antichrist was very disturbing, but like all the other stories it's very disjointed and confusing as they are taking from longer films which have been cut down . Will be interesting to see if I can find full versions of them. 7/10

Now watching Wilard and it's brilliant from what I have watched, worth a lot more than the penny I paid for it.
'Night Train to Terror' is one of my guilty faves for sheer schlocky disjointedness, but 'The Death Wish Club', which forms the basis of the second segment, is a really great lost cult film from the eighties, one which strangely resonates with echoes of David Lynch before his style and preoccupations had fully evolved. I assume you have the newish Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray, in which you can see 'The Death Wish Club' under its original title 'Gretta' on the dvd included. PQ isn't great, but it's really worth watching.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict

Just been to see the latest paranormal activity film.

Hmmmm

If you like the pa films its worth a look as its certainly better than the fourth one. However if the glut of found footage horror has become dull then this does little new.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:16 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Translavania 6-5000

I first saw this a couple of years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. Like you Geena Davis' costume was the best thing about it.

I gave it another go last year and loved it. The jokes improved and i got into the characters. In short when you know what to expect you may get more out of it.

The only reason i bought it was because it was a double disc set along with Elvira Mistress of the Dark.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:25 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The only reason i bought it was because it was a double disc set along with Elvira Mistress of the Dark.
Doesn't Elvira have a double set of her own?

No - I meant 'Mistress of the Dark' and 'Haunted Hills'!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th January 2014, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Machete Kills. As with the last sequel that I spoke about, this is far more OTT than the first, would have been my film of 2013 if I'd gotten round to catching it sooner!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th January 2014, 04:39 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Machete Kills. As with the last sequel that I spoke about, this is far more OTT than the first, would have been my film of 2013 if I'd gotten round to catching it sooner!!!
A bit too OTT at times i felt, still loved it, not sure ill like Machette Kills in Space though
Old 17th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Night train to terror

The third story has several full versions but : My favourite version can be found on this box set (as The Nightmare Never Ends),pic quality is ok and the best available for now I think.

Troma Triple B-Header, Vol. 4: The Nightmare Never Ends Collection

Old 17th January 2014, 06:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Final Destination 3 - not as bad as I remembered, definitely watchable

Like this? Share it using the links below!