Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2014, 02:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Absentia. Thought it was bloody awful, can't understand the hype around it.
Old 30th January 2014, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nordy you're the king of reviews.

Were they any good?
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 30th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just about too settle down and watch the keep.
Old 30th January 2014, 09:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CREEP - Since my copy of Tim Ritter's sleaze fest went missing in the post, I had to make do with its namesake, this mid-noughties Brit film which I remember being a bit dismissive of when I saw it six or seven years ago. I actually quite liked it this time around. A horrible yuppie misses the last train and gets caught up in the Tube system. A deformed sewer dweller tries to get her. The underground setting really starts to feel grim after a while, and the rat-ghoul-whatever is pretty well rendered. It's not mega graphic, but the blood does spill around bits of commentary about social marginalisation. Obvious nods to 'Death Line'. Good.

PIN - I've always had a thing for 'Pin', even though it never quite gets there for me (in some ways). I don't know why but it gives me a similar feeling to 'Heathers', a film which it does not resemble beyond its end of the eighties atmosphere and late high school / college setting. It's a kind of nostalgia I guess, and I keep coming back to it. The film itself is about an unfortunately warped young man who remains fixated on the medical mannequin his father used to mess with his head when he was a kid. He also wants to shag his sister, I suppose. Bad things happen and lead to murder. It's a little too flatly put across and could've done with some stylistics to match the twistedness of its central idea. It is eerie though and deserves to be watched.

BLOOD CREEK - From Schumacher. There are some ancient runes in a barn and a German-American family who never age and an undead nazi zombie-master. It thought it was enjoyable mainstream trash, the kind of thing you put on after you find it in poundland if you're too pissed off to watch 'Salo'. I can remember thinking the zombie horses were quite cool and that generally the latter half of the film was pretty good. Can't really think of much else to say about it.
Old 30th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nordy you're the king of reviews.

Were they any good?
What can i say i just have a way with words

The Place Beyond The Pines is a great film took many turns i did not expect and was shocked at one or two moments.

Only God Forgives again a great film i was mesmerized by the visuals of the film i loved the use of colour. Really fantastic film.

Curse of Chucky was just a lot of fun well worth a watch nice to see a return to a more serious fillm. Well as serious as a film about a serial killing doll can get anyway

Savage Streets what can be said about this film i just love it to bits. Everytime i watch it i seem to love it a little more. This was the first time my Girlfriend had seen it and see loved it.

Videodrome yet another film that my love for grows every time i watch it. Sadly if im not mistaken the Blu Ray i have is the cut version something i must rectify very soon. Im a big fan of James Woods and he is fantastic in this film.

Theater Of Blood its very hard not to love any film Vincent Price is in. His voice and screen presence just grabs you by the scruff and leaves you in awe of how menacing and passionate he was as an actor.

The Iceman i just took a punt with this film when i seen it on Netflix and i have to say i loved it. Michael Shannon plays Richard Kuklinski a real life hitman who leads two seperate lives one is ruthless contract killer the other is a devoted family man who think he has a 9 to 5 job that just pays really well. There are some great supporting actor performances also like Ray Liotta , Winona Ryder and Chris Evan ( Captain America ). But no matter what David Schwimmer of Friends fame does in a film i cant take him serious even when he is playing a serious role the picture below will explain what i mean
Off the top of my head i have only seen Michael Shannon in two films this and The Man Of Steel both films he was outstanding so from now on i will be keeping track of this guys movies.

4.jpg

David Seaman or David Schwimmer im not too sure

See its better i just leave what i have seen as pictures

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 30th January 2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post

No its not.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No its not.
Cheers
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post

The Place Beyond The Pines is a great film took many turns i did not expect and was shocked at one or two moments.

Only God Forgives again a great film i was mesmerized by the visuals of the film i loved the use of colour. Really fantastic film.

Curse of Chucky was just a lot of fun well worth a watch nice to see a return to a more serious fillm. Well as serious as a film about a serial killing doll can get anyway

Savage Streets what can be said about this film i just love it to bits. Everytime i watch it i seem to love it a little more. This was the first time my Girlfriend had seen it and see loved it.

Videodrome yet another film that my love for grows every time i watch it. Sadly if im not mistaken the Blu Ray i have is the cut version something i must rectify very soon. Im a big fan of James Woods and he is fantastic in this film.

Theater Of Blood its very hard not to love any film Vincent Price is in. His voice and screen presence just grabs you by the scruff and leaves you in awe of how menacing and passionate he was as an actor.

The Iceman i just took a punt with this film when i seen it on Netflix and i have to say i loved it. Michael Shannon plays Richard Kuklinski a real life hitman who leads two seperate lives one is ruthless contract killer the other is a devoted family man who think he has a 9 to 5 job that just pays really well. There are some great supporting actor performances also like Ray Liotta , Winona Ryder and Chris Evan ( Captain America ). But no matter what David Schwimmer of Friends fame does in a film i cant take him serious even when he is playing a serious role the picture below will explain what i mean
Off the top of my head i have only seen Michael Shannon in two films this and The Man Of Steel both films he was outstanding so from now on i will be keeping track of this guys movies.

Attachment 129483

David Seaman or David Schwimmer im not too sure

Put friedkin's Bug at the top of that Shannon list then

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st January 2014, 09:43 AM
Active Cultist

The Black Waters of Echo's Pond

Only watched it because Robert Patrick was in it, then found the Babysitter twins from Grindhouse were also stars too, no improvement on acting though. Film was pretty poor i thought, acting from everyone wasnt great, the lesbian scene was not shown to that pissed me off too. ok to watch if you want to kill 90 mins seen a lot worse out there.

Like this? Share it using the links below!