Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2014, 08:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Fangs of the Cobra aka Cobra Girl (1977)

"Young man returns from studying abroad to take over management of the large family farm, and falls for the daughter of a tenant farmer. The unique twist is that her pet, best friend, confidante and protector is a cobra - but he hates snakes because his mother was bitten and killed by one when he was a child."

Sweet romance mixed with copious amounts of nudity (Dana!),scheming by the jealous cousin and violence courtesy of director Sun Chung.

Enjoyable little time waster from Shaw Brothers.

Old 1st February 2014, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bronx warriors tbh I found the film dull and was extremely bored,
Didn't live up to my expectations one bit .
Old 1st February 2014, 09:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights films were Saving General Yang on a region free blu-ray from the U.S. and the english language remake of We are What We Are on German blu-ray (in a steel-book for those of you who have a packaging fetish).

I saw the original version of We are what we are at Fantastic Fest sometime ago (and have it on blu-ray somewhere) so enough time had passed that I was no longer overly familiar with the story. I remain unconvinced by the need to remake movies, especially foreign language films, but this one was fine. Good performances from the leads and some interesting camera work.

I caught Saving General Yang on the big screen more recently, Fantasia last summer. This second viewing reinforced my view that the linear narrative, and here its unfair to blame a film that draws on Chinese history/mythology, is more than compensated for by the spectacle. For that reason it doesn't quite deliver the goods second time round on a smaller screen but it is none-the-less worth seeking out for those times when you wish to disengage the brain and just roller-coaster along. I have been reasonably impressed with the recent output of Wellgo USA, certainly a label to watch for th Asian action film fan.

No Arrow films tonight - yikes! Maybe tomorrow.
Old 1st February 2014, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rose pole dancing is still a drunken idea between me and my mates.
So, did you win the award for the best portrayal of Rose?
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:57 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Bronx warriors tbh I found the film dull and was extremely bored,
Didn't live up to my expectations one bit .
I much prefer Escape from the Bronx myself.
Nemesis likes this.
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

My final day of holidays before I go back to studying so I decided to have a relaxing one. Grabbed a burger and some beers and sat back and checked out Christina's House & Fangs.

Christina's House was a bit of a let down, Wasn't all that entertaining. Knew who the killer was straight away, Was hoping for better since "From the writers of Poltergeist was plastered right across the top of it" But hey, The thing only cost me 15cents on DVD. How can I complain!?

Fangs
was exactly what I expected it to be, A pretty lame little thriller. I really wish it had more blood and gore though. Nevertheless it was...Okay. Not the worst but far from best.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

43* celsius here today, so kicked back and watched this...
'Hands of the Ripper', Synapse BD. Great stuff, with a slightly dissapointing ending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Recent viewings

Old 2nd February 2014, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Totally agree with this - if it were not for the performances of Christopher Connelly, Vic Morrow and Fred Williamson and the score, this would be near unwatchable.

The big problem with Bronx is the concept of Trash as a leader - how on earth did he get to be one, because he's not very competent. The youth factor is important considering he is surrounded by elders. The subplot with Ice addresses these factors, but still - there is a total lack of energy from the lead and the action is no good.

Escape is far superior - on a practical level, Stike is really the lead and Trash is more of a supporting character and that is how it should be. Henry Silva gets more to do as Floyd Wrangler than Vic Morrow did as Hammer, and so makes a better villain. And the action is on a completely different level - except for Hammer's massacre at the end, the fights in Bronx warriors are childish playground fights. Here, in Escape, this is closer to a war film and is all the better for it.

Easily the best of the three, then followed by The New Barbarians.
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:50 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
So do I, even if the title doesn't make sense as people are trying to stay in the Bronx rather than escape from the borough!
Nemesis likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!