Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2014, 08:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just spoke about this on another thread

Just finished watching Maniac remake! WOW! I'm blown away. Not just one of the best remakes I've ever seen, but an amazing film in itself.

They've kept parts that pays tribute to the original (mannequins, scalpings, the ending) without ever being a complete rip-off. He use of POV was very good as was the use of reflection. It would've been so easy for them to change the ending, but they kept it and pulled it off very well. Also glad the didn't hold back on violence and gore. A lot of remakes are dulling down the violence in order to get 12A ratings. Very glad it didn't happen here. Very surprised. 9/10

Last edited by ArgentoFan1987; 8th February 2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 8th February 2014, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Red and the White (Second Run)

A great 60s Hungarian black and white war film, set in 1919 after the Russian Revolution, where the "Whites" - the czarist troops - are fighting against the "Reds" - Bolshevik revolutionaries.

This is quite unique as there is no real plot or main characters - it just presents war as the senseless, mad, repetitive and brutal event that it is. Characters appear and reappear here and there. There are many deaths - they are shown either from a distance or even off camera which makes it all the more effective, as opposed to the graphic nature of some war films.

This film came part of the Jancso boxset from Second Run - the Round Up is very good too, and My Way Home is fine.

Private Hell 36 (Olive Films)

I got this, knowing little to nothing about it except that it was a noir and that it was supposed to be very good. I did not read any plot summary or even the blurb on the back. It is directed by Don Siegel, and considering the Killers is coming out soon, I thought now would be a good time to watch it.

I found it terrific and I suspect the lack of knowledge helped me appreciate this more than I would have done if I had known anything. So I'm not going to give any plot summary for this one.
Old 8th February 2014, 09:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Glad you enjoyed it!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 8th February 2014, 09:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you enjoyed it!
It was so much better than I'd expected
Old 8th February 2014, 10:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I've just spoke about this on another thread

Just finished watching Maniac remake! WOW! I'm blown away. Not just one of the best remakes I've ever seen, but an amazing film in itself.

They've kept parts that pays tribute to the original (mannequins, scalpings, the ending) without ever being a complete rip-off. He use of POV was very good as was the use of reflection. It would've been so easy for them to change the ending, but they kept it and pulled it off very well. Also glad the didn't hold back on violence and gore. A lot of remakes are dulling down the violence in order to get 12A ratings. Very glad it didn't happen here. Very surprised. 9/10
Did you notice the scene that shows a homage to this poster art?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maniac1980.jpg (99.5 KB, 7 views)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 8th February 2014, 10:48 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Give us a verdict when you're done mate. Watched it a while back and I couldn't decide whether I liked it or hated it.
I saw John Carter at the cinema and was bored out of my mind. It's terrible!
Old 8th February 2014, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw John Carter at the cinema and was bored out of my mind. It's terrible!
...but it has sword fights and shit blows up, pretty much the defining features of what I like at the moment!
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th February 2014, 11:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
...but it has sword fights and shit blows up, pretty much the defining features of what I like at the moment!
Fair enough!
Old 8th February 2014, 11:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Recent viewings

Old 8th February 2014, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict

BULLET TO THE HEAD. Conan scraps it out with Rambo! Shit blows up and casual racism abounds. Fun if you like 80s action films.

FLYING SAUCER ROCK N ROLL. Aliens turn a group of beatniks into zombies and send them on a mission to collect 10 earth girls to repopulate their planet. Luckily, Johnny, the local square, turns all rockabilly and saves the day with a ray gun made from a vacuum cleaner. Loads of modern rockabilly tunes to be had here. Not dissimilar to an extended version of the kids TV show "The Aquabats" but with butcher shop gore.

Like this? Share it using the links below!