Real Steel - 2.5/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 3.5/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - 3/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - 2.5/5
Electric Dreams - 3/5
Paycheck - 1.5/5
Southland Tales - 2/5
The Nines - 3/5

It was my first time revisiting the Turtles films since the '90s, my hunch was right that even though I liked the second one best as a kid, the first one would turn out to be the best now - it was a bit too dark and gritty when I was little! I'm looking forward to seeing how the new one fares, it doesn't look too bad from the trailer apart from Shredder no longer being Japanese, wtf?
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 4th May 2014, 01:45 PM
Cultist

Watched the new Robocop movie and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it , no where near as violent as the original (think it might be a 15 or even 12 cert ) but still an enjoyable action/sci fi movie.

Also watched the new Stallone/DeNiro movie , Grudge Match which is ok and does what it says on the tin , have to say one of the highlights is in the end credits and worth waiting for .
Rik, Invid Ninja and trebor8273 like this.
Old 4th May 2014, 05:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Rock of Ages (2012)

To many Rock of Ages would be seen as a guilty pleasure or even a thing of hatred, but i love the music of the LA scene that became famous worldwide from 1984-93 and sold millions of records. So much so that the US and UK charts seemed to be taken over by the likes of Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison, Guns n' Roses, Motley Crue, Extreme etc. Many of them bands who originated nowhere near the hair metal capitol of the world but who all looked and sounded like they did.

Rock of Ages is just a lot of fun, admittedly the plot is slight, yet entertaining none the less, with enthusiastic performances from Alec Baldwin, Paul Giamatti, Russell Brand, Catherine Zeta Jones, Mary J Blige, Malin Ackerman and Tom Cruise doing an amusing turn as Axl Rose alike Stacee Jaxx. Of the two main characters, Country singer Julianne Hough does well but Diego Boneta doesn't have the rock and roll personality to be the hero.

Whilst clearly set in 1986, hence the massive, frequently seen billboards for Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time, Slayer's Reign in Blood, Motorhead's Orgasmatron and Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In. Those pedantic enough can argue that much of the music used came in the years following. However this really didn't bother me as i found it all a joy to behold from beginning to end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock_of_ages_film_poster.jpg (73.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 4th May 2014, 05:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rock of Ages (2012)
I hated just about every minute of Rock of Ages, even being a fan of most of the music!
Old 4th May 2014, 05:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hated just about every minute of Rock of Ages, even being a fan of most of the music!
I fully appreciate your sentiments. It is a musical though and the plot has to be advanced via dialogue and song. Exactly how you can do this whilst singing Pour Some Sugar On Me i don't know?

The story is also cliched, perhaps it caught me on a good night. Possibly a similar night to when i watched Mama Mia (God i loathe Abba) and enjoyed it.
Old 4th May 2014, 05:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsimmus View Post
Watched the new Robocop movie and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it , no where near as violent as the original (think it might be a 15 or even 12 cert ) but still an enjoyable action/sci fi movie.
I watched this the other day and as much as it pains me to write this, I actually enjoyed it too, not a patch on the original, but still an enjoyable enough film
trebor8273 and Maxsimmus like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th May 2014, 05:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I fully appreciate your sentiments. It is a musical though and the plot has to be advanced via dialogue and song. Exactly how you can do this whilst singing Pour Some Sugar On Me i don't know?

The story is also cliched, perhaps it caught me on a good night. Possibly a similar night to when i watched Mama Mia (God i loathe Abba) and enjoyed it.
I haven't seen Mamma Mia, though it is on my 'to watch' list. I like rock operas, but Rock of Ages seem to fail where the much better one succeed, with Tom Cruise's performance as one of the worst aspects. In terms of furthering the plot through song, I hated Moulin Rouge as well!
Old 4th May 2014, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

FRANCES HA. Not the type of thing I would normally watch but I am trying to keep the sex and violence out of my viewing and firmly in my personal life only. This rather charming comedy follows Frances, a would be dancer, as her life slowly falls apart and she faces the prospect of being unemployed and homeless. Rather than reaching for a drill and offing tramps, Frances just rolls with whatever life has to offer her and is an eternal optimist believing she will achieve her dreams. Recommended.
Old 4th May 2014, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched this the other day and as much as it pains me to write this, I actually enjoyed it too, not a patch on the original, but still an enjoyable enough film
Just watched and was expecting a big pile of poo, but I really enjoyed it. It's different enough to stand on its own and didn't deserve the level of hate it got on release(far worse remakes out there). With have some fantastic acting from the likes of micheal Keaton , Samuel L Jackson and Gary Oldman who is fantastic (as usual). The original is still the best but this is a solid 7.5/10 for me.
Maxsimmus likes this.
Old 4th May 2014, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The tingler

A great classic with the one and only Vincent Price given a great performance as a doctor investigating people who have died of broken spines, he discovers a creature called the tingler which feeds on the emotion of fear, it can be stopped by screaming. 8.5/10

Next up pet cemetery. I will be sleeping with the lights on tonight thanks too the lovely zelda.

Like this? Share it using the links below!