All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2014, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 135815

An outstanding film really loved it. James McAvoy was fantastic his constant switching between emotions amazed me one moment he was the model detective the next a crazed coke addict then in the blink of an eye a weeping tormented mess from start to finish a really intense performance.

Id rather not go into detail about the film its better to go in blind it just needs to be experienced.
You should read the book, totally worth it.
Anyway, watched 7 Psycopaths yesterday before i went to work. Went in completely in doubt about it because after seeing the trailer it didn't really look interesting enough for me. Suprisingly I felt that it was a brilliant piece of comedy, the cast was fantastic and it was well made. 8/10
Old 16th May 2014, 11:34 AM
Cultist

Knightriders

The most ridiculous load of utter nonsense that I have witnessed in a long long time.

I was hooked and loved every bloody moment!
  • Ed Harris is the Don
  • Tom Savini is very much on par with his performance in Dawn of the Dead
  • Patricia Tallman is super fine
  • Ken Foree is.......****ing Ken Foree!
  • Martin Ferrero looks a little out of place.
  • John Hostetter is naaaasty. But a lovable nasty
  • The bikes and costumes are freakin sweet
  • ......people joust on motorbikes...

Advise you watch
Old 16th May 2014, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Cannonball Run (1981)

Ludicrously entertaining star vehicle which pays tribute to the real life event The Cannonball Sea-to-shining sea Memorial Trophy Dash. A coast to coast illegal road race across America where anything goes.

More a series of comedy vignettes than a cohesive story, the film is awash with the stars of the day - Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr, Farrah Fawcett, Jackie Chan and Dom Deluise, and features a brilliant co starring performance from western stalwart Jack Elam, not to mention the ample charms of Adrienne Barbeau and Tara Buckman as a spandex catsuit clad racing team.

Idiotic and very much of it's time but also a lot of fun. The Cannonball Run is highly recommended to seventies car chase fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-cannonball-run-original-quad-1981--3196-p.jpg (96.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th May 2014, 12:45 PM
Cult Master

Always a favourite when I was growing up not seen it for years.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw The Cannonball Run a few weeks ago for the first time and was really disappointed. I felt it dated very badly so the in-jokes didn't work, the comedy seemed lacklustre and all it really has going for it was some of the outrageous car chase scenes. As far as I'm concerned, the best bit was the outtakes which ran over the end credits!
Old 16th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

An astronomer on the Scottish moors sights Planet X getting closer to the Earth. A rocketship lands on the moors containing one small spaceman.Who is this seemingly quite harmless person who appears to want help? Is he really as harmless as he appears. Nope !
Enjoyable little sci-fi from 1951. Quite atmospheric. The Scottish moors are fog bound, dark and bleak and the astronomer is housed in a stone tower. Good moment when we first see the alien.
Old 16th May 2014, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellraiser hell seeker

Enjoyed this in ways reminded me of shutter island a bit. Some decent acting but like the last movie just didn't seem like a Hellraiser movie, but was nice too see Ashley Lawrence as Kirsty again. 6.5/10

Next up one of my favourite 80s films lost boys, a film at one point I must of watched nearly everyweekend.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th May 2014, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Violent Playground (1957)

Johnnie (David McCallum) is a young thug and leader of an inner city street gang who get their kicks setting buildings on fire. One day when an arson attempt at the Grand Hotel goes wrong Johnnie holes up at a local school holding a class of pupils hostage at gunpoint.

Classic Liverpool set fifties crime thriller. Violent Playground is for the first half a kitchen sink style drama which highlights the social problems and struggles with authority for many of the local working class children in Liverpools' tough council estates. As the characters develop so does the main plot of Johnnie the arsonist and Stanley Baker's police detective trying to track him down along with the local priest (Peter Cushing) who believes Johnnie can be saved before things take a turn for the worse.

Highly recommended for lovers of British crime films.

The dvd from Strawberry Media is a restored print which looks and sounds excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg violent-playground-1.jpg (87.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th May 2014, 11:24 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Next up lost highway , is this as confusing and as weird as the reviews on amazon make it about to be?
The thing is, do not try to explain or understand what is going on. It is one of the best David Lynch films and it goes far beyond reason or logic. Lynch himself said that critics try to explain certain elements of his films while he was just doing stuff on a intuitive mindset.
(Sorry about my English, it is hard to describe things like this...).
In the end it is a great film, a masterpiece I think.
Old 16th May 2014, 11:33 PM
Cultist

And if you like Lost Highway, see Mulholland Drive. It will rock your socks off. It is an amazing film. Watch it now!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!