Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:19 AM
Active Cultist

Been putting it off but finally gotten around to watching the New Robocop film, to be fair it wasnt a disaster, i liked that it wasnt a scene for scene remake of the first film so it was like watching a new film, i really enjoyed the first hour of the film, i think its biggest problem came from the fact there was no real bad ass enemy, and the last 45 mins did seem rather rushed, wasnt keen on Samuel L Jacksons reports either. But all in all a decent film to watch even better if you just pretend its not Robocop.
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Does this still have the mastering fault or has that been corrected now. Holding off on getting it!
It seems to depend on the disc and the player as mine is from the first batch and there is no problem at all with the picture (and I was paying extra attention expecting to find a glitch).
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the core last night, god an awful mistake to do, generic disaster movie with substandard acting. Aaron Eckhart is a good actor yet he's bad.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:30 PM
Cult Addict

Also managed to fit in Don Siegels original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers last night. I've not seen this since it was on a BBC2 double bill years back with Night of the Living Dead.
Perfect middle of the night movie this as a small town doctor slowly starts to realise somethings amiss with the locals. I love the almost routine matter of fact way the invaders go about there invading. Carrying the pods about like they're just having a spring clean.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

Re-animator.

Stuart Gordon's Debut takes H.P Lovecraft's pulpy schlock horror and crafts a laugh out-loud horror comedy that still holds up today. I gave the integral cut a go today but frankly its nice to have as an added extra but it really doesn't work as a film. Gordon's ferocious horror is benefited by its pacing, the integral cut wrecks that.

The stuff.

Larry cohen uses the horror genre to take a swipe at fast food culture. The Stuff does not work as well as a film as some of Cohen's best films but it's entertaining nonetheless. The idea of America slowly being overtaken by a sentient foodstuff that consumes the people who consume it seems just as relevant a look at the destructive side of consumer culture as when it was made.

Gravity.

Genuinely breathtaking cinema that manages to make up for the poisonous trash like The blind side that has blighted Sandra Bullocks career. Gravity had me gripped from the get go and made me regret not trying to catch it on an imax screen.
Old 24th June 2014, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I watched Tenebrae last night, i thought it was a fantastic film the soundtrack from goblin was fantastic, the camera work was fantastic and the acting was superb
Old 24th June 2014, 04:36 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Gravity.

Genuinely breathtaking cinema that manages to make up for the poisonous trash like The blind side that has blighted Sandra Bullocks career. Gravity had me gripped from the get go and made me regret not trying to catch it on an imax screen.
The movie looks fantastic but I really thought the dialogues more or less destroyed this movie. The conversations they have are horrendous.
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 24th June 2014, 05:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversedBible View Post
The movie looks fantastic but I really thought the dialogues more or less destroyed this movie. The conversations they have are horrendous.
Never really took much notice TBH. Didn't really seem to bad to me but then I watch far to many Italian films!
ReversedBible likes this.
Old 24th June 2014, 05:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversedBible View Post
I love the conversations because I feel they give the characters more humanity, making you root for them, than if they constantly spoke in 'scientific jargon' or in any other way.
Old 24th June 2014, 07:19 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I love the conversations because I feel they give the characters more humanity, making you root for them, than if they constantly spoke in 'scientific jargon' or in any other way.
I wish I could agree with you.

I watched Mothra VS Godzilla last night, the first one of the older Godzilla movies that I see (except the original) and today I watched The Terror of Mechagodzilla. Both were over my expectations and they were very entertaining, but that doesn't mean that movies are truly good.

Like this? Share it using the links below!