Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2014, 06:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Works for me, they are my favourite parts of the film. I think it is something that West excels at...stretching the normal out to the point of boredom but for me it never feels like filler as it would in another directors work. It is very much his style which just clicks with me.
I'm a house of the Devil fan as well. Thought the slow build up worked well. It slowly ratcheted up the tension.

Got a start on the Herzog BFI bog. Not a fan of the invitation to scratch packaging but the contents are excellent!

Aguirre Wrath of god.

The Film that got me into Herzogs work. The slow march down into the mist shrouded valley accompanied by the haunting score really stuck in my mind. The tale itself is of a group of Spanish nobelmen entering deep into the jungle in search of El Dorado. Splitting off from the main group, a smaller group head down river on rafts only to be consumed by madness and killed by Natives.

As the raft heads down stream the film decends into a strange fever-dream as the group slowly loses its mind to heat and illness. The film deals with the idea of man trying to tame and conquer nature, a theme he would return to in later films including Fitzcarraldo, and the futility and arrogance of mans attempts to do so.

Aguirre is a haunting and beutifully shot film that was mad on an astonishingly low budget with a stolen camera. Klaus kinski demonstrates why, in spite of being mental, he had a lengthy career in film. His central performance as lope de Aguirre is phenomenal (apparantly Herzog directed him to walk like a crab) and really underpins the whole film.
Old 9th September 2014, 08:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE DESCENT (2005)

Had not seen this in a while so thought it was time to have another look. Really enjoyed this again. I saw this at the cinema on it's release as well. Still packs a sense of claustrophobia in the tight tunnels. The creatures are well used and the 'jump' scenes still work very well. Fantastic ending. I never have seen the sequel and I don't want to. After the ending of the film, there is nothing else to be said. I think there may be versions out there with a different ending so the sequel makes sense. The original ending is the one and only. Nuff said.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:12 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The sequel's worth watching Dave, however it is essentially the same movie all over again.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Curse of the Headless Horseman (1972)

It's not often I think this (least of all say it), but Curse of the Headless Horseman is quite possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

It tells the tale of Mark, a hippie medical student who inherits his uncle's Wild West themed ranch theme park under the stipulation he can keep it if he turns a profit within the first six months.

However, the ranch is a dilapidated run-down mess so Mark decides to move in along with his hippie pals and set about drawing in some custom. Once there the group of hippie stoners are 'haunted' by a headless horseman who rides around the ranch splashing blood at people from his severed head collection.

This may well sound fairly entertaining, or even quite amusing, but the fact is that the themes here (hippies meets cowboys meets The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) are executed so poorly that the result is nothing more than an dull, plodding and amateurish rendition of Scooby Doo with terrible acting, bad dialogue, and unconvincing kills. A real chore to endure.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 05:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rats: Night of Terror - 1984;

Personally, there's absolutely nothing positive that I can say that can be attributed to this movie, except to congratulate BU on another fine HD transfer. This movie, along with HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD both look amazing
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th September 2014, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Hammer's take on the famous story comes to Blu ray.
This is one of those 'lesser' Hammers that improves with each viewing. A great cast and superb sets help to draw you in to the tragic tale.
Like their previous release of CAPTAIN CLEGG, this is another superb looking BD from Final Cut.
There's a nice 'making of ' documentary on here too.
Old 9th September 2014, 07:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Curse of the Screaming Dead (1982)

The Curse of the Screaming Dead AKA: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates starts off as a slow, dialogue heavy road trip film in which a group of annoying friends are motor-homing it across the southern US drinking, hunting and incessantly bitching on at/about one another. They stop at a dilapidated confederate burial site and decide to make camp. However, the inhabitants of the graves have other ideas.

I've seen my fair share of low budget cheese-fests in which bad acting and ropey dialogue goes hand-in-hand. Therefore, it is something I often can (and do) endure ...up to a point anyway. The acting in Screaming Dead drops to an abysmal subterranean basement low with continuous wooden, stilted dialogue and awkward over the top deliveries to the extent that I often wanted to leap through the screen and forcibly gag all involved.

Happily, there are some zombies around to alleviate these painful exchanges of dialogue; unfortunately they are all unconvincing, rubber masked extras who stumble around in the dark allowing our group of incessantly annoying on screen 'friends' to briefly come across as ever-so-slightly less annoying whilst we are subjected to a barrage of cheap zombie kills. For dessert? A double helping of more cringe-worthy vocal exchanges.

Old 10th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dark Sanity (1982)

Dark Sanity concerns a recovering alcoholic and her husband who move into a new house which was the scene of a grisly murder some years before. The wife starts seeing visions of the murder and the murderer via psychic visions, to which everyone else attributes to a relapse in her drinking. However, an ex-police sergeant also shares this particular gift (conveniently) plus believes that the real killer is still at large.

A pretty ropey and inconsistent film that seemed to crawl along and then run out of steam a little at the end. Supposedly a slasher, although I wouldn't exactly classify it as such.

Name change suggestion: Dull Insanity.

Old 10th September 2014, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict

I watched The Road a few nights back. Jeez what a jolly film, Viggo Mortenson and Cody Smit-McPhee play a father and son journeying through a post apocalyptic wasteland. Where are they going? Not sure. Why? Not sure.
What ended the world? No idea.
Apparently this is faithful to the novel it's based on, so i assume that the novel doesn't answer these questions either. I couldn't help but feel that these details would help me care more but perhaps it was just me. Mortenson was ok but a little bland and the kid just irritated (papa! papa!)
Worth a watch but I'm glad i only paid three quid.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

The raid 2

Watched it after Raid 1. Vwery enjoyable and certainly an improvement on part 1. Offered an interesting story and some eye watering brutality. Certainly up there with ip man, Ong bak and warrior king as one of my favorite martial arts films of recent years.
gag and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!