Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2014, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just treated my girlfriend to her first viewing of Hellraiser, not sure she enjoyed it as much me though.
It was for research purposes, because I'm redoing the sound from the scene where Kirsty first encounters the Cenobites ("We'll tear your sour apart" scene) for a uni project and I've roped her into playing the part of Kirsty for me
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th November 2014, 10:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One of the most enjoyable forgotten movies of the seventies.
VIGILANTE FORCE -Buy the German Blu Ray-well worth the upgrade!

Uncut,wendecover,original art,removable subs.

Fantaschte!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91hIl9CjDTL._SL1500_.jpg (92.0 KB, 2 views)
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:01 AM
Active Cultist

Don Siegal double bill goes not the way I thought it would

The Killers - It's weird how (for me anyway) 60s cinema has dated far more than the 40s and 50s. This film is a case in point - it's just trying too hard to be cool - the jagged editing, the jazzy interludes, the NASCAR racing - whereas Siodomaks version just told an intriguing story really well. Inferior in every respect to 46.

The Lineup - hold on a moment, this is brilliant. Correction, the last hour is sensational. We follow three unforgettable crooks on a mission to retrieve 3 heroin stashes from three (technically two) unsuspecting marks. Full of amazing scenes, none better than the meeting with The Man in an arcade full of kiddies. Eli Wallach is great but Robert Keith steals the show as a creepy old veteran who collects dying words in a little black book. Track down the Colombia Noir box set for a commentary with James Ellroy and Eddie Mueller - simply the most enjoyable I've ever listened to.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Any other opinions on Dark Shadows?

I'm intrigued to know if i'm alone in my liking of this film.
I enjoyed dark shadows a lot more than I thought I would. Especially liked Alice coopers appearance!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th November 2014, 02:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just a quick heads up.

The Freakmaker dvd arrived today. Had a quick look at it. It's a dvd-r as expected but apart from being a little bright (easily sorted) it looks pretty decent to me.

So anyone thinking about picking it up, here's a few grabs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5160Y5mjHZL.jpg (56.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (19.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (30.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00003.jpg (33.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (53.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00005.jpg (29.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 12th November 2014, 03:36 PM
Cult Addict

Nice one Dem, gonna have to pick that up now.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th November 2014, 03:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DUEL - Fantastic early Spielberg long overdue a revisit from Frankie. A masterpiece of screw-turning tension, 'Duel' gets an amazing amount of mileage from its really basic set-up - after all, most of the film is about one vehicle overtaking another. Just a car, a truck, the open road and a paranoid Dennis Weaver - those are pretty much the basic ingredients here. Sounds like a recipe for dullness maybe, but 'Duel' feels like particularly elevated filmmaking, its pared down approach lending an almost archetypal aspect to things (in essence, it's a latter day fable about man confronting his shadow self... perhaps). Whichever interpretation might be imposed, 'Duel' is a riveting ride, with every frame oozing menace and foreboding. I loved the interludes with Weaver's inner dialogue as he slowly unravels, and the ambiguous final shot with Weaver in silhouette before a setting sun. Great film on every level.

ALL HALLOWS EVE - A random pick-up for me, 'All Hallows Eve', gets my vote by being simultaneously pretty rubbish and quite mind mangling. It's both unashamedly simplistic and unabashedly ludicrous and just not very good in many ways - but it has a haywire gleam in its eye that won me over. It's an anthology set on Halloween night, and uses a post-V.H.S device to link its three tales of a demented clown (kids and their babysitter sit down to watch a mysterious video cassette that's been left in a trick-or-treat bag). I read that two of the tales already existed as short films - 'All Hallows Eve' certainly feels cobbled together, although it's marginally more coherent than the daddy of mad anthology films, 'Night Train To Terror'. You won't be hitting those heights if you get down with AHE, but comparisons did cross my mind at points. There's an audacity at work here - the first story is about a woman who, after being randomly menaced by a clown in a bus station, ends up kidnapped along with two other women - all are dragged off to a demonic ceremony full of freaked out cowl-wearing monstrosities who cut a foetus from an unfortunate lady's stomach. Then the woman from the beginning is raped by satan. OK... the third tale is very gory and has a BBFC baiting climax, but is basically about this clown dude going around killing people. But it was the second story which I loved - it's just ten minutes of a woman being chased around by a really rubbish alien in a house - that's it! Not even any gore. Just a pointless, pointless chase scene - oh, then there's a sinister portrait of a clown at the end, just because, well, THIS IS A FILM ABOUT AN EVIL CLOWN. Absolutely brazen, they truly don't make 'em like that anymore. As a whole, it's wildly uneven (although technically competent in places, manages to 'look eighties' at points, the acting is OK and I really liked the doomy synth soundtrack), but 'All Hallows Eve' is definitely worth a shot for indie horror freaks who like nonsensical but quite vivid movies.
Old 12th November 2014, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Nice one Dem, gonna have to pick that up now.
I'm not sure i'd trust Desert Island Discs to have decent transfers for all their films though.

It depends what they can get their pilfering mitts on i suppose.
Old 12th November 2014, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
ALL HALLOWS EVE - definitely worth a shot for indie horror freaks who like nonsensical but quite vivid movies.
Sounds right up my street.

When it drops in price a bit.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some recent viewings

They came from beyond space. 8.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415826260.939249.jpg

Beast with a million eyes 5.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415826304.497248.jpg

From hell it came 5.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415826392.010246.jpg

I married a monster from outer space 8.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415826401.672065.jpg

Sorceress 7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415826420.889163.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!