Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2014, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

22 JUMP STREET. Knob jokes and shit blowing up. I liked it.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Undead (1957)

A cheap and cheerful Roger Corman effort that sowed the seeds for his AIP Poe Gothic cycle during the sixties.

The ideas are there as is the heart, alas the budget is conspicuous by it's absence, so too is anyone with any great acting talent, although the film is memorable due to the presence of Allison Hayes, soon to become the Fifty Foot Woman the following year.

Clumsy and shoddy, The Undead still manages to be a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undead_1957_poster_1.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 18th November 2014, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE CURSE - An eighties sort-of Lovecraft adaption which I only got round to seeing the other day. In it, a meteorite lands in a small town and starts to rot the population. We follow the decline of a mostly noxious family of hillbillies. I thought it was pretty good, and was glad it took itself seriously and didn't descend into goofy histrionics unlike so many of its mid decade direct to video brethren. There was something quite depressing about the atmosphere during its latter half which could have been all the more powerful had it been able to rise above its limitations, which I guess were mostly tied to the aesthetics of its era and budget. A couple of scenes were commendably revolting - the maggot ridden flanks of cattle oozing away into slop, the ever-curdling mother character. Wasn't it produced by Lucio Fulci? I could see the influence. Worth catching, and available on a budget double bill with 'The Curse 2'.

FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM - A top tip from Dem, FAWTAS is an anthology from genre stalwart Jeff Burr and features Vincent Price in the unlikely company of four vignettes which emphasise eighties splatter rather than old skool gothic. I guess it goes for a post-Creepshow EC inspired kind of feel, but minus the humour and deftness of touch. It's quite serious and slightly nasty in tone, and there's some great stuff on show, particularly during the first and final segments - Clu Gulager as a nebbish necrophile and a house full of manic civil war kids respectively. The latter segment is the standout, and made me wish 'Children of the Corn' had taken the same route and involved some similarly vicious gore and mean spiritedness. 'From A Whisper To A Scream' is well worth picking up, and is twinned with 'Theatre Of Terror' on a recently released cheap DVD.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE CURSE -

FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM - A top tip from Dem,
I've just ordered The Curse double bill. The (unofficial) sequel sounds good as well. Cheers for the tip Frankie.

Really pleased you enjoyed Whisper. It was totally new to me and a real joy to discover.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 19th November 2014, 01:38 AM
Active Cultist

Starry Eyes, 2014. 7/10

The Guest, 2014. 7/10

The Babadook, 2014. 8/10

Gun Woman, 2014, 8/10

The Slayers: Portrait of a Dismembered Family, 2015. 7/10 {screener}

Jengo Hooper, 2015. 8/10. {screener}

Comforting Skin, 2014. 8/10

Old 19th November 2014, 12:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Haunts (1977)

'Haunts' is a curious little psychological horror film in which Swede May Britt plays Ingrid, a girl with a troubled past who lives with her uncle in a small rural community.

Deeply religious and adverse to the advances of and physical contact by men, our farm girl is unfortunate enough to endure multiple ordeals in the stretch of a short period including stalkings and physical and sexual assaults.

Parallel to Ingrid's attacks, the town sheriff (played by Aldo Ray) is heading up an investigation into a series of brutal scissor-attacks of other local girls by a masked assailant.

Whilst all this may sound pretty formulaic, as the film trundles on, nothing is as cut and dried as it seems... but to elaborate would be to spoil things.

Overall, this was fairly enjoyable, and the more of Herb Freed's films I watch, the more I respect him as a director. Whilst none of the films I've viewed so far are particularly mind-blowing, they are at least solid works and all add something a little unique and interesting to that saturated cess-pool which is '70s horror cinema.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
Having previously watched this a couple of years ago, I thought I would watch the US EVIL EYE cut of the film, being slightly longer and with a different soundtrack. Really enjoyed this minor Bava gem, which is ( rightly ) getting reappraised. Lovely sharp b+w print from Arrow.

SCREAM BLACULA, SCREAM
Another outing for William Marshall as the Count, this sequel doesn't quite hit the mark as much as the groovy original, though it does have its moments and the action scenes are arguably beter staged. Complete with a great intro / feature on the two movies ( plus blaxploitation movies in general ) from the always entertaining Kim Newman, these two movies are well worth seeking out.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thinking of watching this which I've not seen before, has anyone seen it and is it anygood?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.1 KB, 1 views)
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Thinking of watching this which I've not seen before, has anyone seen it and is it anygood?
I like it. It's cult Mexican nunsploitation. If you're a fan of the genre you'll like it. That MM disc looks great pic quality wise.

Actually if you aren't a nunsploitation fan i'm not sure why you bought it.
troggi likes this.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like it. It's cult Mexican nunsploitation. If you're a fan of the genre you'll like it. That MM disc looks great pic quality wise.

Actually if you aren't a nunsploitation fan i'm not sure why you bought it.
I haven't seen any nunsploitation I just liked the cover!
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!