Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2015, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The local Programm Kino is showing Johnny Suede over the weekend, so I took the opportunity to go and see it tonight (Friday). It was a crackly old print with both German and French sub-titles (which makes a change as a lot of stuff recently has been projected from blu-ray or DVD). I had almost completely forgotten this film which featured a then almost unknown Brad Pitt along with Nick Cage and a very brief appearance from Samuel L. Jackson (I guess also before he had really hit the big time). I liked it 20 years ago and I like it now, its one of those quiet films where very little really happens and Brad Pitt does quite well as Johnny gradually realises he doesn't really know who he is or what he wants. Anchor bay released this on DVD a while ago, perhaps its time for somebody to put it out on blu, how else will we hear Brad's potential as a rock star?.
Old 17th January 2015, 08:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A most violent year never heard of it so gave it a whirl .
Boy was I glad about a oil tycoon who someone got it in for him and robbing the drivers of his trucks . finds the police aren't quite as cooperative as he wanted them to be.
They are also trying to bring him down and filling alsorts of charges against him.
This is a prime example where it goes to show you don't need loads of star , special effects , CGI , action , violence , and any other thing .all you need is a good piece of film making with the right tension and atmosphere and youre into a winner a this film ticks all those boxes .
Highly recomended .
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th January 2015, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE UNINVITED (1944)

While walking the dog, a brother and sister come across an abandoned house over looking the cliffs in Cornwall. Wanting to buy the house, they become suspicious when the owner sells at a cheap price. One night, an ghostly sobbing noise is heard everywhere in the house..........

An excellent, good old fashion ghost story. There is romance and humour to be had too among the banging doors, candles and apparitions. Watch the film first before you view the trailer as the trailer gives some suprises away.
Recommended.
Old 17th January 2015, 01:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
THE UNINVITED (1944)

While walking the dog, a brother and sister come across an abandoned house over looking the cliffs in Cornwall. Wanting to buy the house, they become suspicious when the owner sells at a cheap price. One night, an ghostly sobbing noise is heard everywhere in the house..........

An excellent, good old fashion ghost story. There is romance and humour to be had too among the banging doors, candles and apparitions. Watch the film first before you view the trailer as the trailer gives some suprises away.
Recommended.
An excellent film. The Exposure dvd is a quality product with a gorgeous booklet.

If anyone wants it, you can order it from Exposure Cinema via Amazon marketplace for just over a fiver delivered.

Highly recommended.
Old 17th January 2015, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
An excellent film. The Exposure dvd is a quality product with a gorgeous booklet.
I just ordered the Exposure dvd of Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. A classic noir starring Dana Andrews thanks to Dave Boy posting his Uninvited review and me checking on it's price for my reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 717XTNBgLvL._SL1476_.jpg (82.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th January 2015, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Into the Storm (2014)

Daft, but very entertaining and practically a retread of Twister but with added shaky cam filming. Remarkably the shaky cam actually makes the film more exciting, probably because those filming the twisters know to point the camera at the storms rather than at their feet.

Despite one or two dialogue sequences which had me cringing at the ineptitude and a few cardboard characters, i found Into the Storm to be an enjoyable thrill ride thanks to some great special effects and a fast paced script.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2zugyl7dvu.jpg (63.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th January 2015, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Food Inc

8/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th January 2015, 12:10 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

If anyone wants it, you can order it from Exposure Cinema via Amazon marketplace for just over a fiver delivered.

Highly recommended.
Ordered.
Old 18th January 2015, 07:48 AM
Cult Addict

WATERLOO.

After reading over 20 Sharpe novels I had the sudden yearning to watch this. Thanks to finding it in the TV box sets section of cex(???) I got my chance.
Rod Steiger plays Napoleon and the film chronicles his escape from Elba, his re-taking of Paris and attempt to crush the European forces allied against him, led by Arthur Wellsley, aka The Duke of Wellington, played by Christopher Plummer.

Dino De Laurentiis produced this and it was directed by Sergey Bondarchuk. Its a 'mostly' accurate depiction, to scale with a cast of stars and thousands of extras, sweeping camera movements and a fantastic score. The only problem with the film is its 2 hours long, there is apparently a four hour version and this would probably serve the film better as a lot of stuff is left missing. One prime example is the Charge of the light brigade that seems to head straight to the French guns, seemingly missing out the part where they hit a French column, routed it and took two eagles. It's also difficult to recreate the rigid discipline and horrifying rate of musket fire from the British Red coats, who could manage around four shots in a minute. Also there is a lack of background detail regarding Wellington, with only brief mention of the fact that he was undefeated in battle against the french forces throughout the penisula campaign to liberate spain.

That said its a decent film, I would love to see it in its four hour entirety, hopefully if anyone deems the film worthy enough to release on blu-ray.

Assault.

A brutal rapist is targeting girls from a local school. Suzy Kendall plays an Art techer who managed to get a look at the nonce. The film plays like a British Giallo, the police are background detail at best, with Frank Finlay representing the detective, plenty of psuedo-psychological analysis and a witness who is not sure what they saw. Great slice of brit cinema, worth scouring your local CEX as its only £3.
Old 18th January 2015, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Hustler (1961)

10/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!