Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2015, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE GUEST. A neat and lean action exploiter that carries itself on a sea of wit and charm. Recommended.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 18th January 2015, 09:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
The Hustler (1961)

10/10

Does anyone have the digibook of this and if so, is it region-free?
Old 19th January 2015, 12:01 AM
Active Cultist

Vice, 2015. 6/10

Mix a tad of Total Recall, a smidgen of Terminator, and a dash of Westworld and here you go, but mediocre at best.

The only saving factor in this mess is the lovely Thomas Jane. : )
Old 19th January 2015, 10:11 AM
Cultist

I watched Man of Tai Chi last night, Keanu Reeves' directorial debut. I honestly didn't expect much from it but thought I'd give it a go as I enjoy martial arts films. To my surprise I really enjoyed it, it has some great fight scenes, the plot is typical cheesy martial arts fun, and I kind of enjoyed Keanu as the bad guy. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys this type of thing.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Guest 2014.

Excellent enjoyable & One to re-watch many times I'm sure definately the best film of 2014 for me,zavvi's steelbook is a treasure. I expect most have seen this but if not check it out very intelligent and fun.

Psychomania

I first saw this in the 90's on late night BBC1 in which it regularly appeared over 2-3 years then was never shown again. Always loved it as silly as it is. Beryl Reid turns herself into a frog to stop Nicky Henson & his deadly undead bikers ruining peoples lives,nonsical fun which I'll always enjoy. Severins DVD is a great package. June Brown makes an appearance aqs a weeping mother. It's ok Love it could nbe worse ins
tead of a dead daughter you could have John Altman as a son! (Oh I say).

Dark House

Lesley Ann Down has lowered herself even further if that was possible after sunset beach, & the Tobin (saw) geezer looks like Russell brand in 20 years. a film with a good idea that really fails on every level to actually action it. Boring unoriginal & not as good as some reviews led me to believe. A film where someone can see how someone is going to die in advance could & should have been a very scary/excellent plot but this film fell on it's knees within 15 minutes.

Southern Comfort

Shout Factory Blu

Enjoyable war/horror film about some trainee exercise gone wrong when a smart arse guard takes pot shots at Brion James who manages to not "Look" as psychotic as usual yet still is, oh he also seems to not understand english & not appreciate his boats doing tours of the jungle.

Thiu Shalt not kill Except.

The team behind Evil Dead & Intruder make this film a good but not Excellent experience. It does not contain the enjoyment of the other 2,the acting is beyond poor & the humour aspect unneeded as it doesn't work. But I still enjoyed this Synapse Blu Ray. Certainly not a bad film,but nowhere near in the league of the other 2 spiegal/Raimi ventures.

Body Bags

John Carpenter drinks formaldehyde whilst introuducing 3 tales of madness about the corpses in his morgue. This 1993 anthology boasts many big names putting in cameos,and mostly works well. The first story is excellent yet predictable from the minute the new worker starts at the "gas station"

The second is silly fun.

The third is certainly the most brutal,but again is nothing new.

still a fantastic film.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:38 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
The Guest 2014.

Excellent enjoyable & One to re-watch many times I'm sure definately the best film of 2014 for me,zavvi's steelbook is a treasure. I expect most have seen this but if not check it out very intelligent and fun.
I've already watched my blu ray copy three times, and I saw it in the cinema. There aren't many films I can say that about.
Old 19th January 2015, 02:26 PM
Active Cultist

Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission

The first of three made for TV sequels made some twenty years after the classic war film. The biggest draw is that this is the only one to include Lee Marvin in his original role (although we just have to ignore that he has aged twenty years since the last mission).

Unfortunately the plot is just silly and the whole thing feels very half-assed and low budget. The subsequent sequels that I am reviewing later this week were a lot better.

Full review - Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 19th January 2015, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default P

Finished my marvel marathon

The Incredible Hulk
Not as bad as peope made out, ok some very bad CGI and a little slow but makes up for it with the fight at the end 7.5/10

Iron man 2

The weakest of the three movies 7.5/10

Thor

Excellent very enjoyable with great charcters. But the show belongs to Tom hiddleston as Loki. 9/10

Captain America

Along with Thor this is when marvel really started to up there game. 9/10

The avengers

Good but not great still a hell of a lot of fun. For me the highlight is the hulk. Whose scenes are one of the best thing in the whole movie. Puny God ! 8/10

Ironman 3

A improvement on the second movie and my favourite of the three, comes of more of a action/spy movie than a superhero film. Robert Downey jr will always be tony stark. 9/10

Thor 2

Fantastic none stop on the edge of your seat action and unlike man of steel we can have a superhero film that's part alien invasion that dosnt have collateral damage in the thousands, did everything right that man of steel did wrong. 10/10

Captain America the winter solider

The best of the bunch, but actually it's not my favorite. Shows dc that you can have a superhero film that can be serious and dark but also fun. 10/10

Guardians of the Galaxy

Of all the films the one I knew the least about but turned out to be the most fun thanks largely to the humour and Groot and rocket who steal the show. 10/10

My personal order from best to worst

Thor 2 the dark world
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America the winter solider
Thor
Iron man 3
The avengers
Captain America
Iron man
The incredible hulk
Iron man 2

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th January 2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Before I Go To Sleep.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one, loads of twists and turns.
PaulD and keirarts like this.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:24 PM
Cult Addict

Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite. I wasn't impressed with Thor 2, covoluted mumbo jumbo.
And Iron Man 2 is crap, one the few instances where the completist in me doesn't feel the need to own the whole trilogy.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!