Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2015, 11:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I thought people liked it as well, but a couple of weeks ago people were talking about Romero films and i don't think anyone mentioned it, so assumed it wasn't that appreciated.
Maybe. I haven't seen it since (of all things) Malcolm in the Middle spoofed it so maybe I mistook a TV shows reference as a mark of popularity.

Ah well, when it comes to forgotten Romero films, There's Always Vanilla.
Old 21st January 2015, 07:44 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Maybe. I haven't seen it since (of all things) Malcolm in the Middle spoofed it so maybe I mistook a TV shows reference as a mark of popularity.

Ah well, when it comes to forgotten Romero films, There's Always Vanilla.
I really like Monkey Shines and, because I'm in a similar situation to the main character (a tetraplegic), I found it very easy to relate to his predicament!

I always assumed Season of the Witch/Hungry Women was one of the less well-known and/or less popular Romero films.
Old 21st January 2015, 11:08 AM
Cult Addict

I never knew that Nos, i'm sorry to hear that. (although i know you're not looking for sympathy).
I always thought Monkey shines was overlooked, it creates a great atmosphere of tension in my opinion, and the actors performance make us really appreciate his situation. To me it's a lot more suspenseful than many of Romero's better known films.
Another of George's films that is overlooked is Bruiser, which i don't think even got a U.K Dvd release until relatively recently, it's not a great film but i found it interesting in it's premise. Not particularly effective, but the idea made me think, seemed like an extended episode of the Twilight zone.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 21st January 2015, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
The local Programm Kino is showing Johnny Suede over the weekend, so I took the opportunity to go and see it tonight (Friday). It was a crackly old print with both German and French sub-titles (which makes a change as a lot of stuff recently has been projected from blu-ray or DVD). I had almost completely forgotten this film which featured a then almost unknown Brad Pitt along with Nick Cage and a very brief appearance from Samuel L. Jackson (I guess also before he had really hit the big time). I liked it 20 years ago and I like it now, its one of those quiet films where very little really happens and Brad Pitt does quite well as Johnny gradually realises he doesn't really know who he is or what he wants. Anchor bay released this on DVD a while ago, perhaps its time for somebody to put it out on blu, how else will we hear Brad's potential as a rock star?.
Nick Cave surely??
Always felt that the directors follow up Living In Oblivion had a few references to this film. Great turn from La Keener as well imo.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st January 2015, 07:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ex Machina (2015) - 3.5/5

A good AI sci-fi, similar to The Machine but a little bit better I think.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st January 2015, 07:42 PM
Active Cultist

Part two is certainly the best of the series. The story sort of makes sense - Germans planning a secret nerve gas super weapon. But it seems way too important for the use of a convict squad, particularly when you consider that if they mess up they all go back to gaol, so presumably the nerve gas attack just goes ahead unstopped?

I think director Lee H. Katzin forgot that this was a TV movie and it looks great, with some big explosive action scenes. Lee Marvin is gone, but Telly Savalas steps in ably and seems far more interested than Marvin did in part 2. Bo Svenson plays the extra crazy guy really well, seems fitting that he appears here when he is best known for 'Inglorious Bastards' which was a brazen 'Dirty Dozen' knock-off.

It is on a perfectly decent DVD in UK and US, apparently on Blu-Ray in Germany although rather unnecessary.

Dirty Dozen Deadly Mission full review.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:15 PM
Cult Addict

MARK OF THE DEVIL. A witchy Ferox to General's Holocaust.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really like Monkey Shines and, because I'm in a similar situation to the main character (a tetraplegic), I found it very easy to relate to his predicament!

I always assumed Season of the Witch/Hungry Women was one of the less well-known and/or less popular Romero films.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I find that people know his films but are surprised when you mention that Romero directed it. I think most assume he just did a few zombie films and spends intervening years counting the residuals.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:36 PM
Cult Addict

I think Romero is just so well known for his Zombie films that everything else goes under the radar.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hannie Caulder

Some Superb acting by Rupert Culb as Thomas Price, decent acting by a stunning Welch, a nice part by Christopher Lee, some beautiful cinematography I wasn't expecting, some great lines and good gun fights make this an unexpected 9/10 for me.

I would love for odeon to rerelease this on BluRay, though I doubt that will happen

Anyone else seen this and what did you think of it?

Last edited by Buboven; 22nd January 2015 at 10:12 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!