LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2015, 10:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Glad to see this one get a mention, Dem. A pile of stinking trash, but hugely erm... I was going to say enjoyable, but in fact I was groping for a word which means 'enjoyable' and 'really not very enjoyable' at the same time. Damn, it doesn't exist. But the film does. That's a start.
Watchable?
Old 18th February 2015, 11:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015) - 3.5/5

Better than I was expecting, quite a lot of fun and pretty funny, with some good action.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Watchable?
Depends. Most of the 'entertainment' value comes from the feeling of oddness wrought by the out of sync filmmaking. That and the gore, which is repulsive and badly faked and infrequent enough to seem out of balance and out of place. It's sleazy, too. It's a strange film, one of those which can't be summed up by 'so bad it's...' etc... it's not exactly enjoyable cheese, more like discomfiting, out of date primula from a leaky tube.

I haven't really answered your question, have I?

It's not so badly made that it's within the realms of the truthfully only semi-watchable. It's not within 'Night To Dismember' or 'Invitation to Hell' or 'Black Devil Doll From Hell' territory. It still feels like a 'film'.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:12 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
it's not exactly enjoyable cheese, more like discomfiting, out of date primula from a leaky tube.

It's a little like Gorgonzola that's been in the fridge for a month and you aren't really sure which mold is meant to be there.

Now that's a cheese analogy that sums up Revenge of the Living Dead Girls for me.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 19th February 2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Spelling mold incorrectly.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:41 AM
Cultist

Saboteur - Alfred Hitchcock (1942)
One of the lesser known Hitchcock films. It starts pretty good as a suspense story but the second half becomes a bit contrived/jumpy and hard to follow. The final scenes on the other hand (statue of liberty) are quite amazing. Overall a nice watch if you are into Hitch, but no Vertigo, Psycho or Shadow of a Doubt etc.. BTW Shadow of a Doubt is my favourite Hitchcock. Which one is yours?

Profondo Rosso, aka Deep Red - Dario Argento (1975)
I have seen this film many, many times, and it is my favourite film of all times. Every frame of this film is beautiful! I even visited Turin where this was filmed.

(I hope the dropbox link works here...)

Last edited by monkeyscreams; 19th February 2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:57 AM
Cultist

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1cpnxzmqs..._5276.JPG?dl=0
Old 19th February 2015, 07:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Profondo Rosso, aka Deep Red - Dario Argento (1975)
I have seen this film many, many times, and it is my favourite film of all times. Every frame of this film is beautiful! I even visited Turin where this was filmed.

(I hope the dropbox link works here...)
I will be watching Profundo Rosso in London on Saturday night with a live score accompaniment from Mr Simonetti's Goblin
Old 19th February 2015, 08:08 AM
Cult Master

Has anyone seen A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night ? Opinions?
Old 19th February 2015, 08:23 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Depends. Most of the 'entertainment' value comes from the feeling of oddness wrought by the out of sync filmmaking. That and the gore, which is repulsive and badly faked and infrequent enough to seem out of balance and out of place. It's sleazy, too. It's a strange film, one of those which can't be summed up by 'so bad it's...' etc... it's not exactly enjoyable cheese, more like discomfiting, out of date primula from a leaky tube.

I haven't really answered your question, have I?

It's not so badly made that it's within the realms of the truthfully only semi-watchable. It's not within 'Night To Dismember' or 'Invitation to Hell' or 'Black Devil Doll From Hell' territory. It still feels like a 'film'.
I was actually wondering whether 'watchable' was the word you were looking for, rather than 'enjoyable', but that's much better!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:22 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Revenge of the Living Dead Girls is not family-friendly entertainment. No big surprise, considering the fact that it was made by a former Adult movie director.

I watched it once, and judging by my own words I must have liked it back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
The Revenge of the Living Dead Girls. How sleazy can you get? Watch this movie, and you know it!

There's nudity, sex, violence, and gore. Add a stupid story, hilarious dialogues, unknown actors and actresses, and a fantastic final twist (in the Erotic cut, that is!) - voil?*, that's what I call highly entertaining trash!
I'm quite sure I'd find it utterly silly by now.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!