All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2015, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fury (2014)

Excellent portrayal of a grizzled American tank crew as it forces it's way through Germany towards Berlin. Brad Pitt and Logan Lerman give fine portrayals as a battle weary sergeant and wet behind the ears rookie tank gunner.

A film that doesn't glamorize the Second World War, David Ayers movie is a near damning indictment of both sides and as much an anti-war movie as eighties Vietnam films like Platoon.

Although there is plenty of gripping, well shot action, the showdown with the Tiger is a particular highlight, much of the film is a character study of the tank crew who more often than not come across as wholly unlikable characters and it's only towards the end that their true camaraderie show.

I really liked this. Far superior to the recent other Hollywood war movie The Monuments Men. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fury-Movie-Poster.jpg (95.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 7th March 2015, 11:34 PM
Cult Addict

Metropolis

Watched this restored version on Film 4 last night.
What can i say, this is an utter masterpiece.
So far ahead of it's time, i think i've watched this about 3 or 4 times over the years and it's always impressive. Being silent and a youngster at the time ,the first time i watched it was while listening to Portishead on some headphones and although somewhat sacrilegious this is my abiding memory of it, i was also stoned at the time. ( an interesting experience)
Last night i watched the restored version, and at first i found the re-inserted scenes a bit distracting,being lined and ragged. But after a while my brain adjusted and i could see that the extra scenes really added a lot to the film.
Loved it, i haven't seen it for maybe 10 years and revisiting it i was struck by how prophetic it all was, also the montage scenes are brilliant and it has many dark (and strangely sexual)aspects to it, loved the female/robot woman and the way she was so innocent one moment,the next a creepy disjointed harlot (the whore of Babylon even)

met.jpg

Watching again it also struck me how quickly some scenes played out, with the hero bloke running about all over the shop and the final fight on the roof top.
Seems bizarre when you compare the momentum of these scenes with the stiffness of something like the Universal Dracula that came later.

Everyone should see this film and if they are not impressed should be given a swift slap.
10/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I feel so lucky to have watched Metropolis first time at the cinema in its restored version last year.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th March 2015, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Man with the Severed Head (1973)

Eurocine films are generally known for their cheap production values, utilizing the same scenes in several films and indeed the same actors in differing sizes of roles. Their Nazisploitationers more often than not used the same white bricked chateau location, which in the best Eurocine traditions is also on show here in The Man With The Severed Head. A film that takes the main plot line from the Karloff / Lugosi classic Black Friday, adds Spanish legend Paul Naschy to proceedings and somehow manages to come up with a real stinker.

Why a stinker? Mainly because it lacks any of the sleaze and violence you'd expect from both Eurocine and Naschy. There is no gore whatsoever and violence so minimal that what we have on show is no more than a PG rated effort at best. Eurocine are reknowned for their dodgy acting, dialogue and clunky scripts so the exploitation elements and Naschy are the main draw. To cap it all Naschy himself isn't really in the film until the final 20 minutes making this a real time waster and not in the good sense.

I'm not sure if it's Arrow's fault this is such a lame duck although i suspect the blame lies with them as additional scenes of sex and nudity are included as an extra so surely they should have been reinstated to give the film a bit of the Eurocine sleaze the company is notorious for, thus making it a little more of an exploitation film that punters would expect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg affiche.jpg (84.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 8th March 2015, 08:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Beyond (DVD).

Watched this the other night and what a thoroughly enjoyable film. Not your mainstream Sci-Fi but more of a relationship study.

Many thanks to Cult Labs for this one.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'd buy that for a dollar... maybe

Franklyn (2008) * * *
franklyn.jpg
Three apparently independent plots including a vigilante (Ryan Phillippe) and a suicidal art student (Eva Green) successfully blend into one great story of interpersonal relationships. Partly drama, partly fantasy, McMorrow’s well-directed film is good entertainment. Sam Riley’s performance as a freshly abandoned groom caught in childhood dreams stands out.

This Gun For Hire (1942) * * *
this gun for hire.jpg
After his latest job, hitman Raven (Alan Ladd) is double-crossed by nightclub owner Gates (Laird Cregar). During his vendetta in wartime US, things get complicated when he’s forced to team up with a copper’s fiancée (Veronica Lake) who opens Raven’s eyes and reveals a secret. A short and sweet film noir with an all-star cast; the film’s great pace makes up for the lack of elaboration and a few small plot holes.

Sullivan’s Travels (1941) * * * *
sullivanstravels.jpg
Hollywood director Sullivan (Joel McCrea) is fed up with comedies and wants to shoot a serious film, a drama about poor people. Looking for a first-hand account, he turns himself into a hobo and embarks on a journey through the country’s poor quarters. He meets a stranded actress (Veronica Lake) and one hell of a ride begins. Excellent actors and brilliant dialogues make this one of the finest films ever made. Starting out as pure slapstick, Preston Sturges’ film turns into a witty comedy and gradually into a moving social drama – just to revert to a great comedy once more. Outstanding.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) * * ½
hillshaveeyes.jpg
A stereotypical redneck family from the Bible Belt is trapped in a nuclear test site in Nevada desert. Soon after their arrival, strange creatures start to attack them and despatch them one by one. Craven’s second Horror film starts pretty promising and has a disturbing gritty look. The film’s main problem is the family of hillbilly brutes led by Jupiter (James Whitworth). Even during the most atrocious scenes of the film – the rape of Brenda (Susan Lanier), the stealing of the baby – they cannot be taken seriously. During the final chases, the surviving characters (both attackers and victims) almost become a laughing-stock. On the positive side, it’s nice to see that Craven’s film is more subtle than Aja’s 2006 remake when it comes to political messages and bodily deformations. Not a masterpiece, but still worth watching.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) * * * ½
nightmareonelmstreet.jpg
US teenagers are terrorised in their dreams. A burn victim with a razor glove and silly clothes hunts them while they are asleep; what’s more, he’s also able to kill the sleeping adolescents… The story is silly but imaginative, the special effects still work, and Freddy Krueger is a very creepy killer. Watch out for a young Johnny Depp and another laid-back John Saxon performance.

Vampirella (1996) BOMB
vampirella.jpg
Vampirella (Talisa Soto) from planet Drakulon teams up with Adam Van Helsing (Richard Joseph Paul) in order to eliminate the sinister vampire Vlad (Roger Daltrey) who fled to earth after killing Vampirella’s father. Sounds silly? It is. The story is ludicrous (even by B-movie standards) and there’s virtually no real acting in sight. Add cheap special effects and even cheaper costumes and it becomes clear that this film is a disaster. Speaking of disasters – Roger Daltrey is a great singer, but a horrible actor. Vampirella is wearing the same tight clothes throughout the whole film – yuck.

Halloween (1978) * * * *
halloween.jpg
A six-year-old kid deliberately kills his sister on Halloween night. Exactly 15 years later, he escapes from a mental institution. Doctor Loomis (Donald Pleasence) tries to catch him before he kills all of Haddonfield’s babysitters (one of them being played by Jamie Lee Curtis, daughter of Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis). The story isn’t complicated, but then again this film is not about the plot. This film is about “Evil Personified”. Carpenter’s first real Horror film, made with a small budget of about 300,000 $, is a cinematic masterpiece. With a surprisingly small amount of explicit violence, this film builds up tension in an almost exemplary way. Evil (i.e. Michael Myers) is ever-present, even when nothing is happening and everything seems calm. Great performances by all actors involved, excellent cinematography by Dean Cundey. Carpenter’s haunting score adds the final touch to this gripping Horror film.

Halloween II (1981) * * *
halloweenII.jpg
Later that same night, Michael Myers is still alive and well and eager to kill babysitter Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis). Once more, Doctor Loomis (Donald Pleasence) comes to the rescue. This sequel, still written by Carpenter and Debra Hill but directed by Rick Rosenthal, is unexpectedly good. Using a variation of the original score and with Cundey reprising his role as cinematographer, the film sounds and looks similar to the original. Unfortunately, Carpenter was right when he recalled writing the script accompanied by sixpacks of Budweiser: ‘I had no idea. We’re remaking the same film, only not as good.’ The story is well-known by now – what to do? The solution was to replace some of the original’s subtleties with violence, making it a more brutal yet less frightening film. Still a very good and tense Horror flick, only not as good.

Castle Freak (1995) BOMB
castle_freak.jpg
John Reilly (Jeffrey Combs) inherits an old Italian castle. Together with his estranged wife Susan (Barbara Crampton) and their blind daughter Rebecca (Jessica Dollarhide) he visits the old building. What they don’t know – this place comes with its own Castle Freak free of charge. Director Stuart Gordon tries hard to recreate a classic Euro Horror atmosphere. There’s a castle, there’s a monster, but… there are simply not enough cobwebs, there’s no fog, and the lighting of most of the scenes makes the film look like the cheap direct-to-video release that it is. Some of the special effects don’t look too bad, but the few really gory moments are… too gory. Pretty bad acting (including Jeffrey Combs, who’s too crazy for a sane person and too sane for lunatic) and a laughable monster may be acceptable in an Ed Wood film – here it’s just too silly to be fun. Still… laughing is better than falling asleep I guess, even if all the humour is unintentional.

Eaten Alive (1977) * ½
eatenalive.jpg
A family with a small child (the mother: TCM-heroine Marilyn Burns), whoremonger Buck (Robert Englund), and Harvey Wood (Mel Ferrer) with his daughter - lots of people turn up at the local Starlight Hotel looking for people and/or a room. Most of them didn’t expect crazy Old Judd (Neville Brand) and his pet alligator. Luckily, Sheriff Martin (Stuart Whitman) is around.
This film is extraordinary. I had to watch it thrice – I fell asleep after half an hour twice. The third time, I made it till the end. To keep this short and sweet: it’s hard to believe this movie was made by the same guy who directed the excellent The Texas Chainsaw Massacre only three years earlier. Silly dialogues, not one sane person in sight (except for Ruby, played by Betty Cole), lots of cheap gore – this film is a total mess. Half a star for Old Judd’s wooden leg.
Old 9th March 2015, 06:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I'd buy that for a dollar... maybe

Franklyn (2008) * * *
Attachment 158904
Three apparently independent plots including a vigilante (Ryan Phillippe) and a suicidal art student (Eva Green) successfully blend into one great story of interpersonal relationships. Partly drama, partly fantasy, McMorrow’s well-directed film is good entertainment. Sam Riley’s performance as a freshly abandoned groom caught in childhood dreams stands out.

This Gun For Hire (1942) * * *
Attachment 158905
After his latest job, hitman Raven (Alan Ladd) is double-crossed by nightclub owner Gates (Laird Cregar). During his vendetta in wartime US, things get complicated when he’s forced to team up with a copper’s fiancée (Veronica Lake) who opens Raven’s eyes and reveals a secret. A short and sweet film noir with an all-star cast; the film’s great pace makes up for the lack of elaboration and a few small plot holes.

Sullivan’s Travels (1941) * * * *
Attachment 158906
Hollywood director Sullivan (Joel McCrea) is fed up with comedies and wants to shoot a serious film, a drama about poor people. Looking for a first-hand account, he turns himself into a hobo and embarks on a journey through the country’s poor quarters. He meets a stranded actress (Veronica Lake) and one hell of a ride begins. Excellent actors and brilliant dialogues make this one of the finest films ever made. Starting out as pure slapstick, Preston Sturges’ film turns into a witty comedy and gradually into a moving social drama – just to revert to a great comedy once more. Outstanding.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) * * ½
Attachment 158907
A stereotypical redneck family from the Bible Belt is trapped in a nuclear test site in Nevada desert. Soon after their arrival, strange creatures start to attack them and despatch them one by one. Craven’s second Horror film starts pretty promising and has a disturbing gritty look. The film’s main problem is the family of hillbilly brutes led by Jupiter (James Whitworth). Even during the most atrocious scenes of the film – the rape of Brenda (Susan Lanier), the stealing of the baby – they cannot be taken seriously. During the final chases, the surviving characters (both attackers and victims) almost become a laughing-stock. On the positive side, it’s nice to see that Craven’s film is more subtle than Aja’s 2006 remake when it comes to political messages and bodily deformations. Not a masterpiece, but still worth watching.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) * * * ½
Attachment 158908
US teenagers are terrorised in their dreams. A burn victim with a razor glove and silly clothes hunts them while they are asleep; what’s more, he’s also able to kill the sleeping adolescents… The story is silly but imaginative, the special effects still work, and Freddy Krueger is a very creepy killer. Watch out for a young Johnny Depp and another laid-back John Saxon performance.

Vampirella (1996) BOMB
Attachment 158909
Vampirella (Talisa Soto) from planet Drakulon teams up with Adam Van Helsing (Richard Joseph Paul) in order to eliminate the sinister vampire Vlad (Roger Daltrey) who fled to earth after killing Vampirella’s father. Sounds silly? It is. The story is ludicrous (even by B-movie standards) and there’s virtually no real acting in sight. Add cheap special effects and even cheaper costumes and it becomes clear that this film is a disaster. Speaking of disasters – Roger Daltrey is a great singer, but a horrible actor. Vampirella is wearing the same tight clothes throughout the whole film – yuck.

Halloween (1978) * * * *
Attachment 158910
A six-year-old kid deliberately kills his sister on Halloween night. Exactly 15 years later, he escapes from a mental institution. Doctor Loomis (Donald Pleasence) tries to catch him before he kills all of Haddonfield’s babysitters (one of them being played by Jamie Lee Curtis, daughter of Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis). The story isn’t complicated, but then again this film is not about the plot. This film is about “Evil Personified”. Carpenter’s first real Horror film, made with a small budget of about 300,000 $, is a cinematic masterpiece. With a surprisingly small amount of explicit violence, this film builds up tension in an almost exemplary way. Evil (i.e. Michael Myers) is ever-present, even when nothing is happening and everything seems calm. Great performances by all actors involved, excellent cinematography by Dean Cundey. Carpenter’s haunting score adds the final touch to this gripping Horror film.

Halloween II (1981) * * *
Attachment 158911
Later that same night, Michael Myers is still alive and well and eager to kill babysitter Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis). Once more, Doctor Loomis (Donald Pleasence) comes to the rescue. This sequel, still written by Carpenter and Debra Hill but directed by Rick Rosenthal, is unexpectedly good. Using a variation of the original score and with Cundey reprising his role as cinematographer, the film sounds and looks similar to the original. Unfortunately, Carpenter was right when he recalled writing the script accompanied by sixpacks of Budweiser: ‘I had no idea. We’re remaking the same film, only not as good.’ The story is well-known by now – what to do? The solution was to replace some of the original’s subtleties with violence, making it a more brutal yet less frightening film. Still a very good and tense Horror flick, only not as good.

Castle Freak (1995) BOMB
Attachment 158912
John Reilly (Jeffrey Combs) inherits an old Italian castle. Together with his estranged wife Susan (Barbara Crampton) and their blind daughter Rebecca (Jessica Dollarhide) he visits the old building. What they don’t know – this place comes with its own Castle Freak free of charge. Director Stuart Gordon tries hard to recreate a classic Euro Horror atmosphere. There’s a castle, there’s a monster, but… there are simply not enough cobwebs, there’s no fog, and the lighting of most of the scenes makes the film look like the cheap direct-to-video release that it is. Some of the special effects don’t look too bad, but the few really gory moments are… too gory. Pretty bad acting (including Jeffrey Combs, who’s too crazy for a sane person and too sane for lunatic) and a laughable monster may be acceptable in an Ed Wood film – here it’s just too silly to be fun. Still… laughing is better than falling asleep I guess, even if all the humour is unintentional.

Eaten Alive (1977) * ½
Attachment 158913
A family with a small child (the mother: TCM-heroine Marilyn Burns), whoremonger Buck (Robert Englund), and Harvey Wood (Mel Ferrer) with his daughter - lots of people turn up at the local Starlight Hotel looking for people and/or a room. Most of them didn’t expect crazy Old Judd (Neville Brand) and his pet alligator. Luckily, Sheriff Martin (Stuart Whitman) is around.
This film is extraordinary. I had to watch it thrice – I fell asleep after half an hour twice. The third time, I made it till the end. To keep this short and sweet: it’s hard to believe this movie was made by the same guy who directed the excellent The Texas Chainsaw Massacre only three years earlier. Silly dialogues, not one sane person in sight (except for Ruby, played by Betty Cole), lots of cheap gore – this film is a total mess. Half a star for Old Judd’s wooden leg.
I have to disagree somewhat. Thought Franklyn was a bit of a turd and I really like Castle freak and Eaten alive.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:24 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I have to disagree somewhat. Thought Franklyn was a bit of a turd and I really like Castle freak and Eaten alive.
It's admittedly been a while, but I remember liking Franklyn. I have a lot of time for Castle Freak and Eaten Alive, even though they are not the best by their respective directors.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It Follows (2015) - 6/10

Above average but relies too much on paying homage to Carpenter's Halloween, it doesn't do a great deal with the concept and isn't particularly scary. I'd have liked it to go a bit further, but it was worth a watch anyway.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:57 PM
Cult Addict

Chappie.

Perhaps more the spiritual successor to district 9, unlike Elysium (which I still liked) this one felt like a more direct Neil Blongenkamp picture. Perhaps not as well rounded or as tightly constructed as EX MACHINA this is still a very underrated film that should really find its audience with people watching at home. Essentially it deals with the birth of AI and how the human world may shape its attitudes. Unlike 99.9% of other AI pictures this one isn't wholly set on showing mankind's doom with the birth of sentient machines. In fact it even has an allegedly more 'moral' machine piloted by Hugh Jackmans Christian moralist proving to be a far more dangerous creation than the sentient Chappie. It's also got an incredible Hans Zimmer score as well. Certainly not anywhere near as bad as some people suggested.

Like this? Share it using the links below!