Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2015, 01:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Chappie (2015)

It speaks volumes about how I connected this film and the character of Chappie that I felt more for him than more than half of human characters I have encountered in my cinematic journey thus far. At points, I genuinely felt very afraid for Chappie but equally touched with his, arguably, naive humanity towards other living things. And to those critics who complain about the plot hole or contrivances - I am willing to bet that a few of the so called classics they would put in their personal favourites have their fair few plot holes in them!

Stuff you 'professional' critics, I really enjoyed this one.

9/10

Old 11th March 2015, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Went to Fantasporto last week and saw all these in 5 days :

Features:
Be My Cat
Pseudonym
Another
One On One
Mourning Grave
Closer To God
The Well
Pechorin
III
Children's Show
The Perfect Husband
Dementia
Wolfcop
Landmine Goes Click
Hunger Z: Hunger Of The Dead
The Janitor
A Cry From Within
Omega 3
Crazy Bitches
The Dead II: India
The Second Reign Of Night
The Stranger
Fear Clinic
Suspension
Mexico Barbaro

Shorts:
Dog
El Bosque Negro
Odd One Out
Rien Ne Va Plus
Portrait
La Ultima Cena
Alekto
Stairs

Top 3 (no order):
Children's Show
The Stranger
Landmine Goes Click

Worst movie:
Be My Cat

Biggest disappointment:
Fear Clinic
Old 11th March 2015, 04:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (1941)

A man is framed for murder and is visited in his cell by a scientist who wants his brain after his death. The brain is transplanted into a gorrila which then goes out for revenge on those who wronged his sister and framed him for murder.

This has got to be Charles Gamora's best role in the gorilla suit. Acting all the emotions with his eyes. The gorilla suit looks pretty awesome as well.
The short running time is split between the court case and the gorilla revenge. Totally enjoyable and not trashy or played for laughs in any way, this film is recommended.
Old 11th March 2015, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone seen a film called Johnny Dangerously with Micheal Keaton just find it on Netflix and thought I mightbgive it a watch
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 11th March 2015, 08:16 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Anyone seen a film called Johnny Dangerously with Micheal Keaton just find it on Netflix and thought I mightbgive it a watch
Vaguely remember it when it first came out found it quite amusing what I remember most is the character that mispronounces swear words - " you bunch of fargin iceholes " - you get the idea
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th March 2015, 10:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1964: part 1

False Hare - Bugs' last 'Golden Age' appearance also has a cameo from Foghorn Leghorn.

Ring of Spies - Nice little British spy movie based on the Portland spy ring case from the late 50s early 60's. Starring Bernard Lee as a disgruntled civil servant who is blackmailed into passing secrets to the other side.

Fail Safe - A nuclear thriller, no musical score, no special effects and plenty of stock footage and it still made a good picture!

Mothra vs Godzilla - Godzilla returns to battle Mothra in the first film that would pit the titular monster against other monsters from other productions. In the States and the UK it was called Godzilla vs The Thing.

The Bargee - Harry H Corbett takes a break from Steptoe and Son to play a Bargee, (also written by Galton & Simpson) who plys the canal waterways in the dying days of the industry.

The Last Man on Earth - A low budget version of Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'. Let down for me by the 'zombie' horde.

Roustabout - Elvis 'nuff said'

The Pawnbroker - Condemned by the Legion of Decency this mainstream US movie was the first picture to be given a Production Code seal that also showed naked breasts. The codes restrictive nature was now weakened.

Dr Strangelove - I've no doubt this is a classic but it really did nothing for me!

My Fair Lady - Classic musical that is perhaps a little overlong! "I Could have danced alnight" Well maybe if it was 45 minutes shorter!

The Tomb of Ligeia - Slow....boring...expected more...Liked the multicoloured candles though!

Now excuse me I'm off to wash the pots!
Old 11th March 2015, 10:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Last Man on Earth - A low budget version of Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'. Let down for me by the 'zombie' horde.
This is actually my favourite of all the adaptations of Matheson's book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Dr Strangelove - I've no doubt this is a classic but it really did nothing for me!
One of my top three all time favourite films and a classic comedy which I never tire of watching.
Old 11th March 2015, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
This is actually my favourite of all the adaptations of Matheson's book.

One of my top three all time favourite films and a classic comedy which I never tire of watching.
Agreed on both points.
Vipp likes this.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:18 AM
Cult Addict

Murder Run

Don Gronquist's first feature is a re-working of the Charles Starkweather murder spree. Made a little before BADLANDS on 16mm it had the misfortune to see Badlands released first. It's a much sloppier and low budget affair but still entertaining for what it is. A bit nastier in places as well it's best to come in to this film with the attitude that its one of those DTV cash ins (not that I'm saying it is) that would often haunt the lower shelves of the video store. Glad its got a release even if its Code Red meaning UK fans will have to jump through hoops to get it.

Unhinged.

Gronquist's second feature is an occasionally brutal, sometimes sleazy piece of trash cinema with some lousy acting and odd editing choices. However I like it, the police didn't and it got banned but its an odd, sometimes entertaining little films and the last 10 minutes are actually pretty damned good. Apparantly Gus van sant toured the house with Gronquist and offered (perhaps jokingly) to shoot the film. Perhaps in an alternate universe that one exists and would be interesting to see, more so than his pointless Psycho remake.

Both films on the CR double come with directors commentary's which are frankly a chore to sit through. Perhaps if Bill reads this he might ensure moderators are present to keep things lively as when he has something to say its actually interesting (at least most of the time.)
Old 12th March 2015, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Murder Run

Don Gronquist's first feature is a re-working of the Charles Starkweather murder spree. Made a little before BADLANDS on 16mm it had the misfortune to see Badlands released first. It's a much sloppier and low budget affair but still entertaining for what it is. A bit nastier in places as well it's best to come in to this film with the attitude that its one of those DTV cash ins (not that I'm saying it is) that would often haunt the lower shelves of the video store. Glad its got a release even if its Code Red meaning UK fans will have to jump through hoops to get it.

Unhinged.

Gronquist's second feature is an occasionally brutal, sometimes sleazy piece of trash cinema with some lousy acting and odd editing choices. However I like it, the police didn't and it got banned but its an odd, sometimes entertaining little films and the last 10 minutes are actually pretty damned good. Apparantly Gus van sant toured the house with Gronquist and offered (perhaps jokingly) to shoot the film. Perhaps in an alternate universe that one exists and would be interesting to see, more so than his pointless Psycho remake.

Both films on the CR double come with directors commentary's which are frankly a chore to sit through. Perhaps if Bill reads this he might ensure moderators are present to keep things lively as when he has something to say its actually interesting (at least most of the time.)
Nice to see some approval for 'Unhinged'. It gets some heat for being boring by the few people who can be bothered to watch it these days. It is boring, sort of, but also really strange. Maybe I'm being subjective, but I find it quite eerie in a way that I can't really put my finger on... possibly something that follows from those odd editing choices you mentioned. Interesting to hear about the GVS connection.

Like this? Share it using the links below!