Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2015, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

KING OF THE ROCKET MEN SERIAL (1949)

Jeff King is Rocketman, trying to route out the evil Dr Vulcan and stop him using the Decimator ray. A ray that causes utter destruction !!

Fantastic Republic serial that lasts twelve episodes. Every episode is action packed. The Rocketman effects look really good, and with punch ups, chair smashing, gun fights and cliff hanger endings each episode this is a serial not to missed. Check this out, this is so much fun

Old 13th March 2015, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

KING OF THE ROCKET MEN SERIAL (1949)

Jeff King is Rocketman, trying to route out the evil Dr Vulcan and stop him using the Decimator ray. A ray that causes utter destruction !!

Fantastic Republic serial that lasts twelve episodes. Every episode is action packed. The Rocketman effects look really good, and with punch ups, chair smashing, gun fights and cliff hanger endings each episode this is a serial not to missed. Check this out, this is so much fun

Where did you get this Dave? And is it a good looking copy?
Old 13th March 2015, 06:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ Readily available on Amazon and ebay. The serial is in public domain so there are a couple of versions and some copies of discs out there, some really cheap.
Picture and sound are good. I was suprised as there is no remastering done to these old serials.
King of the Rocket Men DVD 1949 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Tristram Coffin, Mae Clarke, Don Haggerty, House Peters Jr., James Craven, I. Stanford Jolley, Douglas Evans, Ted Adams, Stanley Price, Dale Van Sickel, Tom Steele, David Sharpe,
Old 13th March 2015, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari (1920 Masters Of Cinema)

Absolutely loved this one, pure entertainment from start to finish. PQ was to say the least bloody jaw dropping for a film of this age, the sets and look were breath-taking. A superb restoration and a horror that can hold it's own against the best of todays efforts.
Old 13th March 2015, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some netflix viewings

Johnny dangerously

A spoof of all those 30s and 40s mafia/crime movies. Enjoyable with Keaton as a likable lead with a lot of well knowing faces, but not as funny as it try's to be. 7/10

Odd Thomas

Excellent really enjoyed this the first time I saw it and just as much fun the second time around, great cast and enjoyable story with another likeable lead. Shame it didn't do too well, as we might of seen the other books in the series 9/10

The rocketeer

The story's is about a pilot who finds prototype jetpack and becomes the rocketeer and sets out to keep it out of nazie hands. Really a homage to all those 30/40s serials. Enjoyable enough but not really to much happens. 7/10

Now watchng crossworlds which I remember really enjoy when I watched it years ago.

With it being Friday the 13th going to watch some Friday the 13th but can't decide which one.

Edit

Decided not to watch a Friday the 13th but have went with two films I have not seen or heard of before

The sadistic baron vn klaus
Killers moon
Frankie Teardrop and Vipp like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th March 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 14th March 2015, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Automata

Antonio Banderas plays an excellent part as insurance agent for ROC, a robotics company that produced millions of Robots to go out into the vaste wastelands of earth to try and erect an artificial shield to stave off the Sun flares that had decimated the atmosphere of the earth and left it barren, desolate and radioactive. The Robots failed. Now they serve humans as companions / slaves / service droids, and similar to Asimov's robots have two protocols 1. not to harm humans or let them be harmed 2. Not to repair itself or repair others.

Hence, one is discovered repairing itself and so begins the story. I will not spoil the plot, not that it is a very convoluted one.

This was obviously a film with a budget although at times it looks rich in settings / backdrops and especially the effects surrounding the Robots which steal every scene for me. May I just add here that I love Robots and get excited at the thought of the part they will play in our future, so might watch movies like this through rose tinted glasses.

That aside, if you like Blade Runner city scapes, can handle a budgeted 'I Robot' film that has more heart than that, and looks mostly at how Robots can be more Human than we can be comfortable with, you will probably enjoy this film.

There are a few plot holes, but Banderas, Melanie Griffiths ( whom is hardly recognisable) and Dylan McDermott carry the film along nicely. It is not action packed as it mainly points towards the humanisation of Robotics, empathy from man and machine and possible conflicts. The Robots, as mentioned look fantastic on screen and are more realistic in my eyes that the big budgeted 'I Robot' (which I did enjoy, but too much CGI nowadays leaves me cold usually).

The City is depressing, bleak and dirty and done really well, the wasteland is up there with Mad Max and the Bot's should be given contracts for a follow up.

I really enjoyed this film and if you like post apocalyptic films/ Robot flix, like to mull over the benefits / dangers of future technology and can look past budget constraints and at times a loose script, then you will enjoy this too.

Recommended. 7/10

Automata.jpg

10927_1.jpg

10685562_265630230228105_1122119666616340176_n.jpg

automata-3.jpg

Autómata-Automata-Foto-pelÃ*cula-6257.jpg

27119.jpg
Old 14th March 2015, 11:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

First

Earth V Flying Saucers

3/10

Mystery Road on iplayer

Good find this one, 9/10.

Last edited by Buboven; 15th March 2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

Earth V Flying Saucers

3/10
Old 14th March 2015, 11:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just watched The Guest (2014) for the third time this year.

Just let down a teensy bit by the Halloween dance maze sequences. I get the idea they were to make it scarier but it was tense and creepy enough already and it doesn't really enhance the film at all.

This one minor gripe aside, surely a cult classic in the making.
Old 15th March 2015, 12:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't now, apart from Ray's effects everything else about this felt so wooden and dull.

Like this? Share it using the links below!