Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179488Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2015, 03:36 PM
Cult Addict

Friday 13th.

While perhaps not as well dated as Halloween 2, Friday 13th is still great fun with some decent Savini effects work. It's certainly still better than the terribly paced sloppy and somewhat misogynistic piece of excrement that poses as a remake. Entertainment was ruined somewhat by a pair of manc T**ts sat behind me laughing there arses off, not even at the cheesy moments but just generally. All the while Beavis kept making 'ironic' comments that probably sounded witty in his soft pate, however he just sounded like a C**T. Worse still, each time the poser wandered off to the bogs or to get a beer he was clearly dressed like a C**T too. Meanwhile butthead just kept giggling and repeating beavis as if repetition of someone else's stupid remarks made his IQ ease out of double digits.

Prom night...

Well given the loud obnoxious Tw*ts reaction to Friday the 13th I was somewhat dreading Prom Night and as if on cue, the loud braying laughter and hipsterish comments started up. At this point I could see my mate getting ready to break his beer bottle and jam it in the idiots face but I managed to talk him down.

Word of etiquette to people going to screenings, laugh if you must but be aware of others in the audience. Had one of my other friends managed to show, both of them would be in A&E and I'd be busy bailing him out.
Old 15th March 2015, 04:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just watched The Guest (2014) for the third time this year.

Just let down a teensy bit by the Halloween dance maze sequences. I get the idea they were to make it scarier but it was tense and creepy enough already and it doesn't really enhance the film at all.

This one minor gripe aside, surely a cult classic in the making.

****SPOILER!!!!*********

I thought the end sequence was meant to homage classic horror. I noticed a vampire analogy running through the film. From his need to be invited in, in order to stay, the seductive qualities he has on those around him up until the 'graveyard scene' and the stabbing through the heart that finally stops him.

Perhaps homage is the wrong word but I felt it was a nod back to classic gothic horror as well as carpenter-esque 70's action.
Old 15th March 2015, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nightcrawler (2014)

An outstanding, spellbinding film starring an excellent Jake Gyllenhaal as a down trodden man who stumbles into the night time world of freelance crime journalism. Filming murder and carnage for cut throat early morning news programmes.

From it's opening shots of neon drenched Los Angeles, Nightcrawler was riveting viewing. Gyllenhaal is absolutely superb in a role much like the film itself which got darker and seedier and more manipulative with every passing minute. Bloom, his character, seemingly just out to make a bit of money ends up in a dangerous obsession once his life gains direction and momentum. His mannerisms and quirks keeping me glued to his every word.

It was a joy to see Rene Russo again. A favourite of mine from 90's cinema who had seemingly dropped off the radar in recent years. Her performance as an ruthless, hungry, veteran tv news executive was a display of both power and vulnerability in equal measure. She gave scenes an almost erotic air when the subject matter was anything but.

The city of Angels itself plays a major role in proceedings. Practically appearing as an unbilled character. Shot almost entirely at night, the film has the city streets take on a life of their own, populating it with characters that inhabit this dark, yet yellowy green world hidden from the daylight hours that the majority of us live our lives in.

Nighcrawler works on so many levels from neo-noir to journalistic and business satire to out and out horror. Throughout there is a disturbing feeling of unease and the thought of not knowing what comes next and how it would end ratchets up the tension to almost unbearable levels.

Absolutely superb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iBzw3pl.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 15th March 2015, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nightcrawler (2014)
My brother saw it at the cinema and told me it was brilliant, so it's currently high-priority on my Lovefilm rental queue.
Old 15th March 2015, 08:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Nightcrawler (2014)

An outstanding, spellbinding film starring an excellent Jake Gyllenhaal as a down trodden man who stumbles into the night time world of freelance crime journalism. Filming murder and carnage for cut throat early morning news programmes.

From it's opening shots of neon drenched Los Angeles, Nightcrawler was riveting viewing. Gyllenhaal is absolutely superb in a role much like the film itself which got darker and seedier and more manipulative with every passing minute. Bloom, his character, seemingly just out to make a bit of money ends up in a dangerous obsession once his life gains direction and momentum. His mannerisms and quirks keeping me glued to his every word.

It was a joy to see Rene Russo again. A favourite of mine from 90's cinema who had seemingly dropped off the radar in recent years. Her performance as an ruthless, hungry, veteran tv news executive was a display of both power and vulnerability in equal measure. She gave scenes an almost erotic air when the subject matter was anything but.

The city of Angels itself plays a major role in proceedings. Practically appearing as an unbilled character. Shot almost entirely at night, the film has the city streets take on a life of their own, populating it with characters that inhabit this dark, yet yellowy green world hidden from the daylight hours that the majority of us live our lives in.

Nighcrawler works on so many levels from neo-noir to journalistic and business satire to out and out horror. Throughout there is a disturbing feeling of unease and the thought of not knowing what comes next and how it would end ratchets up the tension to almost unbearable levels.

Absolutely superb.
Great review Dem my father recommended it to me awhile back i will make sure to check it out now after reading that.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th March 2015, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

some more Netflix viewings(all not seen before)

the mysterious mr Wong

was expecting a cut price charlie Chan tale as there are other movies listed with the same actor playing a Mr Wong by the same director.

what we get is Bela Lugosi playing a cut price Fu Manchu who is seeking the 12 coins of Confucius which will supposedly give him untold powers. 6.5/10

the house at the end of time

a woman is sent to prison for supposedly murdering her husband and the disappearance of her son. 30 years later she is freed and returns to the house where the events took place, she sets about with the help of a priest to find out what happened the night of her husbands death and sons disappearance. very well acted and had me gripped from start to finish, also very atmospheric and creepy in places. full of twists and turns and well worth seeking out. a lot better than i was expecting. 9.5/10

lunopolis

not a big fan of low budget film making and mockumentary films. but i found myself enjoying this one thanks to the direction, good acting and pretty bonkers story that involves time travel, aliens,people living on the moon and secret society's. some how it works and it ends up being very creepy and tense. 8/10

next up another two which i have not seen before

rigor mortis
dracula 3000

Edit

Dracula looked terrible so decided to watch the boys from Brazil instead

Last edited by trebor8273; 15th March 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 15th March 2015, 10:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Case of The Bloody Iris (1972)

Fenech is as ever stunning, sadly the rest of the film lost my unwavering interest around the hour mark despite some standout visuals (other than my own imagination mentally undressing Fenech).

6/10.

Last edited by Buboven; 15th March 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 15th March 2015, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
The Case of The Bloody Iris (1972)

Fenech is as ever stunning, sadly the rest of the film lost my unwavering interest around the hour mark despite some standout visuals (other than mentally underdressing Fenech).

6/10.
You don't like Earth vs the Flying Saucers or The Case of the Bloody Iris?

You sure you're on the right forum Bub?

I'm only kidding.
Old 15th March 2015, 10:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You don't like Earth vs the Flying Saucers or The Case of the Bloody Iris?

You sure you're on the right forum Bub?

I'm only kidding.
45 minutes in and I thought Iris was one of the best giallo's I had seen but it just lost steam around the hour mark, excluding any scenes with Fenech that is.

What can I say

no worries, I know ur kidding I thought I would like Earth V Flying Saucers aswell, maybe that needs a rewatch. Whats with the aliens giving the humans 56 DAYS anyway, seems a bit lenient
Old 15th March 2015, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
45 minutes in and I thought Iris was one of the best giallo's I had seen but it just lost steam around the hour mark, excluding any scenes with Fenech that is.

What can I say

no worries, I know ur kidding I thought I would like Earth V Flying Saucers aswell, maybe that needs a rewatch. Whats with the aliens giving the humans 56 DAYS anyway, seems a bit lenient
Earth vs the Flying Saucers is one of those films that always seemed to be on telly in the eighties when i was a kid. I sort of grew up loving Harryhausen's fantasy and sci-fi films. They have a magic to them that today's sci-fi movies lack.

Perhaps over the years you'll come to appreciate it and it's ilk as well.
keirarts and Vipp like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!