All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2015, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Earth vs the Flying Saucers is one of those films that always seemed to be on telly in the eighties when i was a kid. I sort of grew up loving Harryhausen's fantasy and sci-fi films. They have a magic to them that today's sci-fi movies lack.

Perhaps over the years you'll come to appreciate it and it's ilk as well.
I know what you mean, i have found that many of films like Earth V Flying Saucers have a special charm that as u say u don't find now, hence why i was in the mood to watch the film in the first place.

In fact it occurred to me that this was probably one of the main films that inspired Burton's Mars Attacks!

It perhaps didn't help that the plot had a degree of similarity to The Day The Earth Stood Still aswell, I would give that one a 10/10.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:24 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I know what you mean, i have found that many of films like Earth V Flying Saucers have a special charm that as u say u don't find now, hence why i was in the mood to watch the film in the first place.

In fact it occurred to me that this was probably one of the main films that inspired Burton's Mars Attacks!

It perhaps didn't help that the plot had a degree of similarity to The Day The Earth Stood Still aswell, I would give that one a 10/10.
I recently bought Earth v Flying Saucers on blu ray only to discover it was the colour version lucky for me it had the black and white version was on the disc aswell i refuse to watch the colour one its just pointless. Its a great film shame it didnt work for you.
Vipp likes this.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I recently bought Earth v Flying Saucers on blu ray only to discover it was the colour version lucky for me it had the black and white version was on the disc aswell i refuse to watch the colour one its just pointless. Its a great film shame it didnt work for you.
It's a must see film for me at least twice a year.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 16th March 2015, 06:51 AM
Cult Addict

I watched the Eli Roth produced Clown last night.
I really enjoyed it, a simple idea about a realtor who finds an old clown costume in the loft of an empty house he is in the process of selling. Convenient has his sons birthday party is that very day and the booked clown cancels at the last minute.
After being the good dad and saving the day he ends up sleeping in the costume and the next is baffled when he finds he can't take it off again. And so begins a nasty metamorphosis from doting dad into evil killer.
The first half of the film works best with some comic moments as dad, Kent in the film has to go about his day in a clown outfit, the tone of the film gradually shifting from light to downright nasty around halfway. Good performances and likeable characters are always key to good horror for me and Clown has both.
Nosferatu@Cult Labs, Rik and Vipp like this.
Old 16th March 2015, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We watched it last night too, and also thought it was really good.
It's been getting a fair bit of hate on the horror film pages on Facebook, because of the involvement of Eli Roth (by the same guys who slag 88 Films off for employing Calum), but it's definitely a film I'll be watching again, and hope gets a sequel
J Harker likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th March 2015, 09:13 AM
Cult Addict

I was browsing some of the reviews on Amazon earlier. Really surprised at some of the 1 and 2 star ones.
Old 16th March 2015, 09:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I was browsing some of the reviews on Amazon earlier. Really surprised at some of the 1 and 2 star ones.

Yeah, same on IMDb
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th March 2015, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Eyes Without A Face - Franju's twisted, Gothic fairy tale is still disturbing today, I imagine it was a real jolt to the system in 1960. The synopsis reads like a standard 'mad professor' film, but in the hands of Franju it becomes much, much more. The image of Edith Scob's Christiane and her haunted eyes will stay with me forever. The ending is terrifyingly beautiful. A masterpiece.
Old 16th March 2015, 09:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
The dvd has the option of flicking between the two which is strangely how i watch it nowadays.

I think the colour works quite well if i'm honest.
Old 16th March 2015, 10:12 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The dvd has the option of flicking between the two which is strangely how i watch it nowadays.

I think the colour works quite well if i'm honest.
Does the colour not highlight any flaws in the FX.

Like this? Share it using the links below!