LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2015, 11:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Glad i can help you spend your money

From what i've seen, Island of Death is Mastorakis' worst film.
Old 30th March 2015, 11:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

From what i've seen, Island of Death is Mastorakis' worst film.
Just looked up his filmography like the sound of Ninja Academy. Its Police Academy with ninja.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2015, 07:05 AM
Cult Addict

The Black Torment.

A lord heads home to his country estate with his new wife to discover a double is loose in the countryside raping and killing and the townsfolk are blaming him. To make matters worse, his previous wife who had taken her life has been witnessed pursuing him on horseback crying out "murderer"
Black Torment is a suitably creepy, if somewhat tame gothic horror with a great script and a solid plot, it could have used a little more claret but overall is well worth picking up. Odeons Blu-ray looks excellent.

Curse of the crimson alter.

Loosely (and I do mean loosely) based on H.P Lovecrafts dreams in the witch house, COTCA involves an Antiques dealer heading out to a country estate to find his missing brother only to find himself haunted by dreams of the witch Lavinia.
Curse has a fantastic cast, four icons of Horror appear Christopher lee, Boris Karloff, Barbara steele and Michael Gough. It looks astonishing with vivid colours throughout and a suitably trippy dream sequence. However its somewhat marred by a pedestrian script that doesn't really do justice to anyone involved. Still worth watching however and Odeons blu-ray is terrific.

Lady stay dead.

A perverted gardener decides to rape his latest client, when she objects to this he drowns her in a fish tank. Rather than cheese it once he come back to (relative) sanity he hangs about the place and his victims sister turns up for a visit. Pretty soon the nutty gardener (who reminded me somewhat of Vic reeves bouncer character in the club) is playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with her.
In spite of its sleazy premise, lady stay dead is actually something of a minor classic. It uses one location and a limited cast to great effect and really ratchets up the suspense. It's a real shame code reds blu-ray is such a pain in the arse to get as the film is terrific and a real must see.

Brotherhood of death.

Three Vietnam veterans return home to find their community plagued by Klansmen set on rape and murder. Our heroes try to find a peaceful solution to the problem through voting, then they seek out the sheriff. Finally when all else fails the decide to go to war!
Looking at reviews on-line some were unimpressed with this film, however I actually rather enjoyed it. Watching KKK members get their comeuppance is much like the cathartic thrill of seeing Nazis get it. Its hard to feel bad. Its a terrific little actioner that's been on lots of 50 film sets by virtue of the fact its a crown international picture. However, code reds blu-ray is fantastic quality.
Old 31st March 2015, 07:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, B_E & Dem have been telling the same joke for years, that Near Dark is a better vampire film than the Lost Boys
It's no joke – it's the truth!
Old 31st March 2015, 08:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
What's with you and The Exorcist? XD
What's with you and no more collection update videos? I quite enjoy them, seems like you've not done one in ages.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:09 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
What's with you and no more collection update videos? I quite enjoy them, seems like you've not done one in ages.
Yeah, I've stepped away from my Youtube channel. Been focusing on my final year at university, only one month to go now. After that, I'm considering coming back.
J Harker likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 31st March 2015, 07:27 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMjEyNDM1NjU2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDM5NDkyMTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

After spending some time in a mental institute Jessica her husband and a close friend head to the country to live a nice quite spot away from the noise of New York. On arriving in their new home they find a young woman called Emily living in the house that she taught was abandoned but instead of asking her to move on they ask her to stay for the night.

Jessica still hears voices and sometimes she sees things she is not sure if they are real or not. Jessica tries her best to act normal so husband and friend believe she is cured but how long can see keep her pain and suffering from the people she loves.

While swimming in the lake behind the house Jessica sees the body of a young woman floating in the water when she goes for help the body has disappeared is Jessica loosing her mind once again or is something more sinister going on.

This is a very slow paced psychological chiller that really has a way of getting under your skin its very hard to explain why but it makes you feel a little uneasy and cautious. Maybe its the great performance of Zohra Lampert who plays Jessica. You really believe her and what she is going through. Jessica is a woman struggling to hold on to reality some times she seems to be winning more often than not she is loosing and loosing badly. Great film with plenty of chilling atmosphere and the constant voices whispering to Jessica really emphasizes the chill factor.

Film 8/10
Old 1st April 2015, 02:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) on the horror channel

Was expecting to like this much more than I did.

5/10

Then checked Euraka's Blu-Ray release of Fritz Lang's Spies (1928). Didn't like it nearly as much as Metropolis but still greatly enjoyed it and it contains some standout visual sequences, especially the thrilling train sequence near the end.

8/10
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sightseers (Ben Wheatley). I do like this film, a British road trip to hell really....

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (Arthur Hiller, 1989).
Poor reteaming of Wilder & Pryor. RP swears a lot, GW does his patented softie act. Screamingly 80s as well (in a bad way). Can see why I passed at the time....

Sweet House Of Horrors (Lucio Fulci, 1989)
Charming tale of murder and redemption. "Sausage is dead!!"
Not as captivating as House Of Clocks imo.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st April 2015, 12:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Sweet House Of Horrors (Lucio Fulci, 1989)
Charming tale of murder and redemption. "Sausage is dead!!"
Not as captivating as House Of Clocks imo.
Yeah, I also prefer House of Clocks; easily the best of the 'House of Doom' films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!