Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2015, 12:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1933).
Another film that is one of my defaults. Rains' mania is a highlight of the Universal era (along with "Saul Femm"!!) for me.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st April 2015, 05:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1933).
Another film that is one of my defaults. Rains' mania is a highlight of the Universal era (along with "Saul Femm"!!) for me.
First Universal/Horror i ever watched and still one of my faves. Saul Femm is Whale's Old Dark House isn't he? A film that really needs a nice HD transfer.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

COME DOWN. A disgruntled pigeon fancier goes on a murderous rampage against the urban youth of London. As the pigeon fancier sub genre goes, it's not too bad with a nasty little ending.
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Arrow's release of Pit and The Pendulum

I have to say, I think this has overtaken Usher as my favourite Poe/Price/Corman film.

9/10.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 2nd April 2015, 05:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
First Universal/Horror i ever watched and still one of my faves. Saul Femm is Whale's Old Dark House isn't he? A film that really needs a nice HD transfer.
Yes he is. Sadly that's never going to happen, as twas "lost" for years, and this is the best we will get

Now if only they had lost the fricking remake!!

Ahem. And breathe.........

As mentioned, I've dugged out the auld VHS.....

1st into the slot was Fear Chamber aka Torture Zone (1968, Jack Hill/ Juan Ibanez).
Another of Karloff's last films, my favourite being Targets....er, sidetracking!! GET ON WITH IT!!

This Mexican tale of a plasticene looking "prehistoric" beastie needing "the blood of terrified women" is on a par with the Coffin Joe films that I've seen. Recommended, if indeed ye can find the bugger.

The Rollerblade Seven (Donald G Jackson, 1991) MIA Video.
Mere words alone cannot begin to explain the sheer ennui this "film" creates within me. Like all of Scott Shaw's work (I highly recommend his Samurai Vampire Bikers From Hell!!) It belongs to another universe entirely. Watch! as blonde bints rollerskate up and down! See! A metal samurai do sweet FA! Andy Milligan has nothing on this guy, guy.

Tonight Vipco's The Diamond Mercenaries!! big box, 89 min

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:32 PM
Active Cultist

How's everyone doing, not been here for a while, lots to raise, here's 12 randoms.

It Follows - Just phenomenal, stands tall with Rec and Let the Right One In as one of the best horrors of the last 10 years - the soundtrack is incredible, it's well acted, compassionate, visually beatiful, above all it's actually scary - I'd forgotten what that's like.

Lemora A Child's Tale of the Supernatural - Classic oldie, the subconscious sexual id of a virginal choir girl made manifest in a dreamscape of vampires, zombies, leering paedos, gangsters and dead children - suffice to say would not be made today and we're all the worse for it.

The Gangster - Peak 1947 noir but not genre typical - more about soul searching than shooting. Barry Sullivan is a hood on the skids and his demise happens in ultra slow motion. Intriguing.

Ride In the Whirlwind/The Shooting - The Criterion double bill is a must get - 2 full on Westerns which deliver genre thrills but within a trippy existential framework, especially The Shooting which unravels in a bizarre fashion. Throw in the likes of Jack Nicholson, Harry Dean Stanton and Warren Oates and you're on a winner.

The Guest - plays like a nutty 1980s Cannon video tribute - must admit I found it a blast. Ending rips off Lady in Shanghai which I didn't expect.

Singapore Sling - I'd forgotten how beautiful this film is - it's stunning. Like a film noir playing inside the head of a sexually deranged lunatic. Next to Begotten it's the strangest movie I've ever seen and one Arrow should move heaven and earth to release.

Violent Saturday - solid if a little insubstantial heist flick that looks amazing in the recent blu ray.

The Leopard - wanted to see this for ages and it didn't let me down - Burt Lancaster gives great doomed majesty, every shot is a beauty - the 3 hours fly in.

The Man Without a Past - Aki Kaurismaki essentially makes the same 2 films again and again - the social realist tragi-comedy and the absurdist surreal comedy - this is a great example of the former - almost a parable in living a good life. If that sounds dull, trust me it isn't - you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll tap your toes.

End of Watch - pretty good cop show although I resented being hammered over the head about how great the LAPD is, some shades of grey would've been welcome. Music and glimpses of the Mexican cartels depravity are excellent.

Exotica - my first Atom Egoyan and once I got into his groove, I loved it - very idiosyncratic storytelling style, one that demands repeat viewings but it's not wilfully obtuse - the sensory and visual pleasures are also immense. Will check out more of this guys stuff.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 2nd April 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Exotica - my first Atom Egoyan and once I got into his groove, I loved it - very idiosyncratic storytelling style, one that demands repeat viewings but it's not wilfully obtuse - the sensory and visual pleasures are also immense. Will check out more of this guys stuff.
I recently watched this too and echo your sentiments.

Great to have you back, Joe.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Warriors (1979)

A gang from Coney Island are blamed for the murder of the charismatic Cyrus. The leader of New York's most powerful gang - The Gramercy Riffs. The nine Warriors have to get home on foot through dangerous rival gang territory as the Riffs put a price on their heads.

Fast paced, controversial and most importantly a cracking yet simple story, The Warriors is one of cult director Walter Hill's best films. This was only my second viewing of it as i didn't particularly rate it when i first watched it. However, recent chats on here with staunch lovers of the film (Nordy & MTDS) made me want to watch it again.

I'm pleased they did as i got a lot more out of it second time round. Appreciating the film's subtleties and observations on life, not to mention it's killer soundtrack and influential dialogue.

The film is well acted. Michael Beck as Warrior leader Swan has a charismatic presence that holds the film together and his altercations with Ajax, played by the prolific James Remar, add to the tensions within the group. The various gangs they come across on their journey are all memorable especially David Kelly, best known for Commando (1985) and his Rogues. This time Sully was indeed killed last.

Perhaps not a great piece of cinema, The Warriors is definitely a cult classic and thoroughly deserves that status.
I think this must be one film ive watch so many times i lost count. Never get bored of it and watch it 2 3times a year. Def wiorth the cult staus just dont make gang etc films like anymore which is a bit sad really because to me this is a must watch and own film.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Night of the Sunflowers (2006)

Spanish thriller with a non-linear story line where unconnected strands slowly come together as the movie progresses, on the lines of Two Days in the Valley.

The story involves the rape of a woman potholer and subsequent events, involving murder, mistaken identity and corruption. The film's strength is in the script, direction and acting. As characters come and go we learn to care for them despite their often morally dubious decisions and the tragic consequences which follow. To go into any more detail would spoil events for anyone who might wish to see this.

Night of the Sunflowers is a fine example of contemporary Spanish film making and plays out in a very intelligent, thought provoking and involving fashion.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110234-b-the-night-of-the-sunflowers.jpg (70.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I recently watched Night of the Sunflowers too, Dem. Good to see that you enjoyed it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!