Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2015, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John wick

I watched this last week and the cinema and enjoyed it so much ordered the Dutch blu Ray. This for me at least has to be one of the best action films of the last ten years the action scenes are nothing short of amazing. But the real star is Keane reeves who makes a fantastic action star and also gives an excellent performance, yes I said an excellent piece of acting from everyone's favourite surfer dude. 10/10
Old 18th April 2015, 05:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Got to see that one mate, hearing many great reports on it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th April 2015, 05:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Got to see that one mate, hearing many great reports on it.
I only went to see it as it was the only thing on when I went to the pictures, went in with zero expectations and was blowing away. As I said great job done by reeves but credit also has to go to the director, which was there first movie, one to keep on eye on.
Vipp and tele1962 like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 18th April 2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 18th April 2015, 08:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I only went to see it as it was the only thing on when I went to the pictures, went in with zero expectations and was blowing away. As I said great job done by reeves but credit also has to go to the director, which was there first movie, one to keep on eye on.
I was pretty impressed with it aswell. I would gave it a solid 8/10.

In fact I would say it is the best flick I have seen Reeves in.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 18th April 2015, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Exorcist 3 (1990)

Has some extremely impressive moments (like THAT hospital scene - if you have watched the film u know what I am talking about) but overall the poor pacing, uneven acting by George Scott (man that guy has some anger issues) and its disjointed editing means it gets a

6/10
Old 18th April 2015, 11:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Incredible Melting Man (1977). My first time seeing this. It was one of those films I was dying to see as a kid but could never get a copy of. I did have a copy of the novelization (alas no longer). Having seen it now I'm none too sure of it. I was expecting something a little more 'big budget', what I got was almost an hour and half of drip, drip, drip. Although the final disintegration scene was pretty good. I'd still recommend the movie simply because its an Arrow release.
Old 18th April 2015, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict

I love The Incredible Melting Man JK and first watched it on the horror channel sometime last year. The difference between that screening and Arrows blu is unbelievable, like a different film.
keirarts, Vipp and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

BOOK OF BLOOD - Starts promisingly, with a ghostly sex assault / face ripping, then dithers and ends up offering f*ck all. I didn't like 'Book Of Blood' at all. It makes no apologies for misleading its audience - aside from Barker's premise and a handful of interesting scenes / images, this is pretty much a standard 'investigators do haunted house' type affair, and a meagre one at that. It's hard to get past the 'British TV' type feeling that rolls in once the film hits the provinces, and the plot twists and reveals are as interesting as watching milk slowly curdle. The overall vibe is stultifying. Pity really, because those interesting scenes / images I mentioned could've been used as the basis of something good. The film's final act, with its weird s&m relationship between the lecturer and her 'book', is about the only worthwhile thing going down and really should've been the cornerstone of the entire piece. Aside from this - a load of rubbish.

FREAK - This is more like it, a 50p pick up from CEX with the kind of cheap, anonymous cover that usually bodes ill but in this case masks an odd and slightly baffling experience. 'Freak' is a late nineties indie which models itself on 'Halloween' and follows a young woman and her step-sister in their dealings with a murderous psych ward escapee. If the set-up sounds meat and potatoes, the execution isn't. It's all quite beguiling. A genuinely disturbing build up which chronicles the life of the pre-incarceration bad guy bookends a leap into slowly paced, slightly anodyne territory - we witness the sisters move house, grapple with a ferret, drive around, emote, and it all feels like filler, but it's strange. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's a dreaminess about it. The endless stretches of rural American scenery, where the wind always howls in the background, seem desolate and eerie. The acting is wooden but heartfelt. No attempt is made to generate suspense - everything happens as a matter-of-fact, but a real atmosphere comes through. Cryptic, 'arty' visuals and odd camera angles pepper the nothingness. Watching 'Freak' felt like speaking to a stranger through a haze in a tongue no-one quite understands. The phrase "everything is in slow motion, and there's someone in the distance" kept creeping up on me when I saw it. It reminded me a little of Friedel's films, maybe - 'Axe', for example, which dallies with enigma and boredom. A less surreal Tomaselli also came to mind, a bit. I'd watch this film again in an instant.
Old 19th April 2015, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

FREAK - This is more like it, a 50p pick up from CEX with the kind of cheap, anonymous cover that usually bodes ill but in this case masks an odd and slightly baffling experience. 'Freak' is a late nineties indie which models itself on 'Halloween' and follows a young woman and her step-sister in their dealings with a murderous psych ward escapee. If the set-up sounds meat and potatoes, the execution isn't. It's all quite beguiling. A genuinely disturbing build up which chronicles the life of the pre-incarceration bad guy bookends a leap into slowly paced, slightly anodyne territory - we witness the sisters move house, grapple with a ferret, drive around, emote, and it all feels like filler, but it's strange. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's a dreaminess about it. The endless stretches of rural American scenery, where the wind always howls in the background, seem desolate and eerie. The acting is wooden but heartfelt. No attempt is made to generate suspense - everything happens as a matter-of-fact, but a real atmosphere comes through. Cryptic, 'arty' visuals and odd camera angles pepper the nothingness. Watching 'Freak' felt like speaking to a stranger through a haze in a tongue no-one quite understands. The phrase "everything is in slow motion, and there's someone in the distance" kept creeping up on me when I saw it. It reminded me a little of Friedel's films, maybe - 'Axe', for example, which dallies with enigma and boredom. A less surreal Tomaselli also came to mind, a bit. I'd watch this film again in an instant.
Is that the one where it's clearly just a kid with a bandage on his head?

Were you really drunk when you watched it Frankie?
Old 19th April 2015, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the one where it's clearly just a kid with a bandage on his head?

Were you really drunk when you watched it Frankie?
1) yes

2) yes, I suppose so.

Like this? Share it using the links below!