Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Decided to watch one of the films i bought.
Vanishing point won but looking it up this version is the shorter 94mins read all uk release are any particular eason why?
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd May 2015, 04:21 AM
Active Cultist

Two brilliant old movies to recommend -

No Way Out (1950) - Brutal race drama with Richard Widmark as a vile redneck and Sidney Poitier as a conflicted paramedic. Some amazing noirish scenes, no holds barred dialogue and barely a hint of preachiness. Seek this out if you haven't seen it - why it's not in the pantheon of classics is beyond me

Phantom Lady (1944) - A weird, dreamlike movie from the peak year of noir. There's a surreal fetishistic feel to this film - hats, hands, paintings, mirrors all loom large. Ella Raines is great as the doughty secretary trying to find the guy who framed her boss. Elisha Cook Jnr, as usual, steals the show as a sweaty, priapic drummer. For me up there with Siodomak's The Killers which he made 2 years later - it's that good.

One guilty pleasure

The Sentinel - browsing Netflix I happened on this old Winner movie which I last saw on VHS about 100 years ago. It's not bad! How the hell did this cast come together - Ava Gardner, Eli Wallach, John Carradine, Arthur Kennedy etc etc - unbelievable. That ending - still the most bad taste but fantastic folly ever committed to film. For all his flaws this was a director who always gave it his all and didn't give a shit what people thought - fair play to him. Can't believe I'm defending Michael Winner at half five in the morning. Nurse!
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Decided to watch one of the films i bought.
Vanishing point won but looking it up this version is the shorter 94mins read all uk release are any particular eason why?
No it's odd isn't it.

Even the blu is the shorter cut.

Seems the only way to get the 105 minute release is on the region 1 dvd or blu.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No it's odd isn't it.

Even the blu is the shorter cut.

Seems the only way to get the 105 minute release is on the region 1 dvd or blu.
The American BD from 20th Century Fox is the 105 minute version and has a commentary.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd May 2015, 02:55 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The American BD from 20th Century Fox is the 105 minute version and has a commentary.
Thats the one I have it has both UK (99 mins) and US (106 mins) versions.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd May 2015, 03:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Thats the one I have it has both UK (99 mins) and US (106 mins) versions.
I think they are called the US and UK versions, or UK and International relations, with Charlotte Rampling playing a hitchhiker in the longer version.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd May 2015, 05:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone here planning to see the new Poltergeist film?
Old 22nd May 2015, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Howling VI: The Freaks (1991)

It's always a joy to behold Bruce Payne hamming it up and he does so here as Harker, flamboyant leader of a travelling freak show slumming it through dust bowl USA. As with all these things though secrets are hidden and the freak show is but a guise for something far more sinister.

A straight to video production, The Freaks isn't as gory or sleazy as some of The Howling films but it makes up for it with a tight story line which establishes characters quickly and makes them believable. From the introduction of drifter Ian to the well rounded towns folk.

In my opinion easily the best of the sequels to the 1981 original, coming close to besting that at times.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howling6freaks.jpg (92.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:27 AM
Cult Rookie

Yesterday I watched Massacre Gun. It was very entertaining.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:37 AM
Cult Addict

vlcsnap-2015-05-22-23h47m42s233.jpg

Satan's School for Girls. (1973)

A young girl is driving through southern California. Something has scared her real bad and she seems panicked. She makes her way to her sisters house and locks herself in. Unfortunately whatever it is that has scared her so bad has got in and when her sister Elizabeth, played by Pamela Franklin, discovers her hanging, apparently having committed suicide. Elizabeth refuses to believe her sister has killed herself so she enrols in her sisters school in Salem Massachusetts to find out what happened only to discover further suicides, and a group of witches called the five who worship satan!

Satan's school for Girls is a 1973 TV movie produced by Aaron spelling. It's relatively blood free. It's plot, dealing with a coven of witches operating from an all girls school pre-dates Suspiria (1977) and a sub plot about operant conditioning was later dealt with in greater detail by Strange behaviour. The film isn't one of the great classic TV movies but it does have a lot of the charm of 70's Tv movie of the week. It has some occasional interesting camera moves and shots and its tightly structured at under 80 minutes. It was memorable and popular enough to get remade back in 2000 with Shannen Doherty and Julie Benz. Its got a great cast, not only to we get Pamela Franklin but also Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd who would go on to star in Charlies Angels.

The Cheezy flicks disc looks ok. the print is real beat up and there's bugger all in the way of substantial extras but its worth checking out.

Like this? Share it using the links below!