Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2015, 06:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

YELLOW: LE CUGINE
Obscure Giallo from 1969 dealing with a granddaughter's return following the death of her grandfather, leading to murder.
This one starts off promisingly, showing the conflict between free love 60s attitudes conflicting with the older generstion. Unfortunately it quickly becomes slow moving, talky and with only one murder ( which itself takes place off screen! ). Always good to discover a new Giallo, but this one is pretty much for completists only.

FRIGHTMARE
Pete Walker's controversial horrors of the 70s reached their peak with this undisputed gem. Sheila Keith steals the show as ever, but all the performances are good , while the murder sequences are among the most gruesome in Walker's filmography. I can't praise this film enough, suffice to say I love it more every time I watch it - and it has never looked better than on this Blu ray from Redemption. A classic.
Old 13th June 2015, 10:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Meatballs last night. Bill Murray is his usual irreverent self in this late 70s "summer camp" comedy. By no means the raunch-fest that the DVD cover had me expecting (or maybe I'm just desensitized by the crass vulgarity of modern "comedies") this was actually a pretty gentle comedy that, while a little meandering at times given the almost complete lack of plot, kept me amused and entertained throughout.
Old 13th June 2015, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

Funnyman

Mainly re-visited due to the death of The great Christopher Lee.

Why this one?

Well, it makes me smile. Genuinely laugh in places. It's very un-PC end of the pier humour but that's part of its charm. Very low budget, very bloody and often quite surreal its about the incarnation of chance, the funnyman who is the wild card in the deck that wins a coke snorting record producer a country mansion only for said jester to manifest and go on a killing spree. Best of all, Lee sings the end theme song.

Inherent Vice.

Set at the arse end of the 60's the film is an adaptation of a book that is widely considered 'unfilmable' and somehow P.T Anderson has delivered something that works. Closest comparison for me was Altmans Long goodbye. This is a surprisingly funny film with some great performances all round and one I will need to re-watch
Old 14th June 2015, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Pynchon's novel was always more about atmosphere and that strange time when the 60s rolled into the 70s, it was never really about the story. PT Anderson captured it perfectly in my opinion. There were a few sniffy reviews that called the film, and by proxy the novel, incomprehensible, narrative was never really the point.

I watched Inherent Vice twice at the cinema, it won't be long before I watch it again. I think it's a fantastic film, Anderson has made three brilliant films on the bounce.
Old 14th June 2015, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think i'll watch a few of Lee's swashbucklers next week - Pirates of Blood River, Devil Ship Pirates and such like.

I really need to remove Crypt of the Vampire and I'Monster from my wishlist and onto my shelves.
I watched 'I Monster' a long time back and have been waiting for a BD release to pick up.....still waiting!

Regards the Pirate Hammer films do you know if this release is any good Dem? I am trying to wait for BD releases but realise that some will never receive that.
51mSjh9VrYL.jpg

And while I tapping into the fountain of knowledge on here, what determines what Hammer films will get BD releases going forward, it seems to have dried up recently just the same films being released by different labels. Will we see decent UK releases of Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Dracula A.D, Curse of the Werewolf, The Gorgon, Scars of Dracula, Satanic Rites of Dracula, To the Devil a Daughter, Demons of the Mind, Vampire Circus, When Dinosaurs ruled the earth, 1 million years B.C, Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde etc etc

What potential to release as a massive set although probably owned by different companies.
Old 14th June 2015, 10:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
I watched 'I Monster' a long time back and have been waiting for a BD release to pick up.....still waiting!

Regards the Pirate Hammer films do you know if this release is any good Dem? I am trying to wait for BD releases but realise that some will never receive that.
Attachment 165936

And while I tapping into the fountain of knowledge on here, what determines what Hammer films will get BD releases going forward, it seems to have dried up recently just the same films being released by different labels. Will we see decent UK releases of Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Dracula A.D, Curse of the Werewolf, The Gorgon, Scars of Dracula, Satanic Rites of Dracula, To the Devil a Daughter, Demons of the Mind, Vampire Circus, When Dinosaurs ruled the earth, 1 million years B.C, Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde etc etc

What potential to release as a massive set although probably owned by different companies.
Your last sentence probably answers it perfectly. Its a question of rights. Certain Hammer titles are availiable overseas (E.G Quatermass 2) while not in the UK. Some company's in the UK (Sony, Warners for example) are incredibly difficult to deal with, while their U.S divisions are more than happy to either release or licence certain titles. That said I have heard (and might me wrong so feel free to correct me) that physical media sales in the UK are far lower than elsewhere as most UK film fans seem to prefer streaming their films. Perhaps this might go some way to explaining why certain releases pass us by.
Old 14th June 2015, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks Keirarts, I find it strange that the country that is the home of Hammer suffer most with releases. I would much rather have a physical copy than stream (although I do watch Netflix, Prime) but if its a film I feel love for or NEED for my completest addiction then a purchase is always necessary. I suppose on the back of your statement it is only going to get worse for physical copies as the next generation do not understand the need for any type of media on any type of disc.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 14th June 2015, 02:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post

It's a set well worth getting. The prints are immaculate.

I also recommend the Icons of Horror and Icons of Suspense sets as well. Plus The Hammer Horror Series (8 films).
Old 14th June 2015, 02:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's a set well worth getting. The prints are immaculate.

I also recommend the Icons of Horror and Icons of Suspense sets as well. Plus The Hammer Horror Series (8 films).
There are also two sets of Hammer film noir.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammer-Film-...mmer+film+noir

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammer-Film-...mmer+film+noir

I have these and they are quite good. Agree on those ICONS OF.... sets. Both great value.
Old 14th June 2015, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict

Right in the middle of a Jess Franco binge I'm going to give THE DUKE OF BURGANDY a go. Thoughts on this coming soon!
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!