Like Tree179454Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2015, 11:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It was pretty good for the most part. Bittersweet to watch Patrick for the first time since he died.

The DVD says Dan Curtis did quite a few of these in the 70s - anyone know anything about the others?
He created Dark Shadows and Kolchak if i'm not mistaken.
iank likes this.
Old 29th June 2015, 06:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He created Dark Shadows and Kolchak if i'm not mistaken.
trilogy of terror.jpg dan curtis.jpg
intruders.jpg DCcollection.jpg
nit.jpg

A few other curtis titles.
Old 29th June 2015, 09:16 AM
Cultist

I went to see Knock Knock on the weekend. I can't believe it has been 8 years since Eli Roth's last release, Hostel 2.

I really enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun. I'm a fan of Roth, and it's certainly not as good as Cabin Fever or either Hostel, but it kept me entertained throughout, I was never bored.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Mad Max - Fury Road.
Best comic book I've seen on screen yet. Ridiculously po faced as well. What with the. static. delivery. that. every. one. uses......

Kill List (2011, Ben Wheatley)
I just love this film. That's why I keep watching it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th June 2015, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which version did you opt for?

According to dvdcompare -

The R2 Optimum and HK release deliver anamorphic transfers in the film's OAR, according to IMDB. The R2 Cinema Club/Italian releases are open-matte delivering more information top/bottom than the w/s releases.

I picked up the open matte version as, despite what IMDB says must be the correct version otherwise it wouldn't have extra information top and bottom.

If anyone disagrees please say as to why, as i don't really understand it all.
As you have probably gathered I like my BD's so opted for this version Dem...didn't go into the quality aspect just needed see it again.

51kPKMkLdzL.jpg
Old 29th June 2015, 06:45 PM
Cult Master

Jurassic-World-The-Game.jpg

I remember going to see Jurassic Park in the cinema all those years ago with my uncle and my cousin it was an amazing experience and growing up loving everything dinosaur related this was the ultimate film bringing it all to life. I do enjoy the other two films in the series but they could never capture the magic of the original so when a Jurassic World was announced I got nervous it could could anyway good bad or great only time would tell. As soon as the first trailer was shown my worries for this film disappeared it looked amazing apart from the Raptors I was very suspicious of that. My girlfriend LOVES Jurassic Park more than anyone I have ever known so not only did I have to worry that my own expectations would not be met but I also had to worry that my girlfriends heart would be broken if they made a balls of this film. The pressure was on when the big day came.

As soon as the film began with the baby dinosaur breaking through the egg I felt relieved I could feel just by the look if it that it was going to be ok right off the bat we could both sit back and relax and just go along for the ride and what I ride it would be. It felt like we were in a time machine going back 20 years to when we were kids the excitement of seeing all the different species roaming about the park how they interacted with their surroundings and the humans coming to see them. They really did a great job of mixing the old familiar feel of Jurassic Park but not over relying on it to the point where they were afraid to to give us something fresh and new that we had not seen before. There is plenty of nostalgia here but just enough to make you feel comfortable in your surroundings but not comfortable enough that you dont need to peep around every corner just in case something is lurking and waiting for you.

I wont go into detail about the film to avoid any spoilers no matter how small. The less you know the better and more enjoyable the surprises throughout the film. One thing I will say as I know a lot of people were worried about the Raptors but I found that it worked very well and it make sense and serves a purpose to the overall plot. It felt good to be back in the park and the music still gave my goosebumps all these years later.

Film 8/10
Feelings of nostalgia 10/10
Old 29th June 2015, 07:06 PM
Cult Master

wyrmwood-road-of-the-dead-600x300.jpg

Barry is not having a good day first his sister is kidnapped by a strange gas masked militant group for experimentation and then he is forced to pit his family to sleep when they are turned into members of the living dead. Left on his own Barry will stop at nothing to rescue his sister not even a seemingly endless zombie horde.

I was interested as soon as I saw the poster for this by the look but I did not hold much real hope that it would be much good. I love when I am proved wrong by a film. Wyrmwood is a great gore filled fun trip to the outback of Oz. Many time throughout I laughed out loud. The zombie make up looks fantastic and the gore is really well done in parts in other parts the cgi blood is a little off putting but not enough to ruin the overall experience.

Film 7/10
Old 29th June 2015, 07:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Brood (1979)

Leaving the odd sequence of brutal violence aside the first 70 minutes of David Cronenberg's third horror film The Brood is a fairly tedious trudge through psycotherapy and the technique of psychoplasmics performed by Oliver Reed's doctor which i just couldn't buy into.

It felt as if the director was dealing with his own issues rather than making a piece of horror entertainment with the attacks by 'children' thrown in for shock value.

However the final quarter redeems it as Cronenberg perhaps remembered what made his previous two films, Shivers and Rabid so memorable. Nail biting suspense, tension and disturbing body horror. Indeed the final reels of The Brood are not for the squeemish and are extremely potent examples of visceral horror.

There's no point me recommending this as i'm probably the only person on the forum who had never seen The Brood until last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brood_1.jpg (37.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 29th June 2015, 07:43 PM
Cult Master

sleepawaycamp.jpg

After her involvement in a horrific accident which claimed the lives of her father and little brother Angela is sent to live with her Aunt Marta and cousin Ricky. Angela is a very traumatised child and when she reaches her teenage years her aunt sends her and her and Ricky to summer camp to try and get Angela out of here shy and introvert shell. What better place to send an already fragile teenager than to a summer camp where horny teenage men strut around camp all day wearing shorts made for 2 years olds and one glance is enough to count the wrinkles in their very uncomfortably strangled ball bags

It does not take long for Angela to become the target of the cool girls in the camp because of her unwillingness to take part in any of the camps activities or even talk to any of the other girls in her bunkhouse. The only people Angela feels comfortable and safe with are her cousin Ricky and his best pal Paul. Ricky is constantly coming to Angelas rescue from the girls the boys and even the camps chef who like the young girls a little too much. So when the bodies start to stack up the prime suspect is Ricky but with so many strange and self obsessed characters could it really be that straight forward ?

Before I watched this over the weekend it had been a good few years since I last watched it and I could only really remember the final scene which I am sure anyone who has seen Sleepaway Camp will never forget. After watching it again the film has a lot more going for it than just that one shocking scene. Yes its for the most part a run of the mill horny teens at a summer camp getting killed but it is fun and it has a very unique twist which for me I loved. Not everyones cup of tea but it will be one that will get repeat viewings in the future. I find it to b a really fun film with some interesting kills.

Before I watched it my girlfriend said I saw this so like a fool I asked her what she taught of the end to which she said I dont remember that i must of been thinking about a different film. Sort of ruined her first time viewing of the film not shock twist for her

7/10
Old 29th June 2015, 09:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 166686

Barry is not having a good day first his sister is kidnapped by a strange gas masked militant group for experimentation and then he is forced to pit his family to sleep when they are turned into members of the living dead. Left on his own Barry will stop at nothing to rescue his sister not even a seemingly endless zombie horde.

I was interested as soon as I saw the poster for this by the look but I did not hold much real hope that it would be much good. I love when I am proved wrong by a film. Wyrmwood is a great gore filled fun trip to the outback of Oz. Many time throughout I laughed out loud. The zombie make up looks fantastic and the gore is really well done in parts in other parts the cgi blood is a little off putting but not enough to ruin the overall experience.

Film 7/10
Just watched this myself. Any film with zombie powered cars is a must for me.
Personally I loved every minute of this one, Laddish humour, beers, splatstick and a real frentic kinetic pace to the film with some great camera work and editing. somehow it had enourmous pathos and then had me in stitches.
Fantastic ozsploitation!
Nordicdusk likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!