Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179614Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2015, 10:54 PM
Active Cultist

American Guinea Pig; Bouquet of Guts and Gore, 2015. 9/10

Director; Stephen Biro, FX; Marcus Koch, Cinematographer; Jim VanBebber.

Old 1st July 2015, 06:50 AM
Cult Addict

The police connection

Chuck Connors plays a lanky bomber with Jam jar specs and rage issues who's wandering the city planting bombs. Vince Edwards plays a tough dirty harry type cop who is hunting him. A break comes in the case when they discover a serial rapist played by Neville Brand may have actually seen the mad bomber while out raping a mute girl at the local psychiatric hospital. Now Edwards cop must find the rapist in order to catch the bomber.

This is a sleazy, but well directed cop thriller from Bert I Gordon that delivers plenty of nudity and explosions. The highlight of the film is Conners as the Bomber whose rain of terror is inspired by personal tragedy. Conners plays the guy to perfection, I swear I've experienced blokes like this working customer service! Neville brand is also great as the sleazy rapist. His character is where things get rather dark, as the scene of him raping the psychiatric patient as she reaches for her Teddy bear adds a real unsettling aspect to the whole film.

Overall though this is a great little cop thriller thats worth seeking out. Its Code red so keep an eye on Diabolik.

Firestarter

Drew Barrymore plays an 8 year old pyrokenetic and David keith plays her dad, on the run from government spooks keen to utilise their powers, created as a result of testing by a scientist played by Freddie Jones. Marting Sheen plays the head of 'the shop' the agency that's hunting them, George C Scott plays a creepy fixer who is his right hand man.

Firestarter is a Stephen King adaptation that's not really well regarded by anyone. It's directed by Mark L Lester so individual scenes work well enough. Part of the problem is that its not very well structured. It cuts back and forth without any sort of emotional weight to the scenes. A shame really as I do like Tangerine dreams score. The films other problem is that it will inevitably be compared to Scanners and The Fury and it doesn't compare well to either.

That said, I enjoy it ennough to own the Blu-ray release as its still got some charm to it and the scenes of Drew Barrymore losing it and Burning people are great. Could it be better? Yes. Is it still watchable? Yes.
Old 1st July 2015, 06:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Well I have to say that The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) is by far the worst Hammer film I have seen yet.

It just all feels so tedious and lacking that spark of life which makes Hammer films so watchable.

4/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st July 2015, 06:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Well I have to say that The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) is by far the worst Hammer film I have seen yet.

It just all feels so tedious and lacking that spark of life which makes Hammer films so watchable.

4/10.
I take it you haven't seen The Horror of Frankenstein yet?
Mojo and keirarts like this.
Old 1st July 2015, 06:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I take it you haven't seen The Horror of Frankenstein yet?
The only ones I haven't seen are Frankenstein Must be Destroyed and that one.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st July 2015, 08:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
The only ones I haven't seen are Frankenstein Must be Destroyed and that one.
The best ones are definitely The Revenge of Frankenstein and Monster from Hell.
Old 1st July 2015, 08:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Knock Knock - an oddly demented and twisted sleazy little home invasion b-movie. With THE GREEN INFERNO, Roth's love-letter to Ruggero Deodato, on the way it's ironic that the film I was most reminded of was Deodato's own THE HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK, especially if the class distinction between home invader and victim had been made more explicit than just the "Mr 1%" line. It's completely hampered by a script so clunky it feels little more than a first draft and Keanu Reeves is spectacularly miscast as he tries to out-manic Nicholas Cage in THE WICKER MAN but it's still thoroughly enjoyable, sexual politics aside, although I suspect I was laughing at it more than I was laughing with it. Unintentionally Funny Games, if you will.
Old 1st July 2015, 08:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The best ones are definitely The Revenge of Frankenstein and Monster from Hell.
My fave's are Frankenstein Created Woman and Monster From Hell.
Old 2nd July 2015, 06:56 AM
Cult Addict

American guinea pig

Ever had that sense of deja vu? So much so that you insist that you have seen a film before that you know for certain you haven't. This did it for me. Essentially there is no plot or characters, a group of Satanist's in masks kidnap two women, paralyse them with drugs and then slowly torture and dissect them alive with the best effects the production can muster. It's pretty queasy stuff and the ending is genuinely alarming but I can't help thinking that its got nothing to say beyond shock value and that its all been done before. If you fancy watching an extended gore scene however then give it a shot. Jim van Bebber appears to have worked on it.

Escape from New York

As f******g cool as it ever was, Kurt Russell is the epitome of cool badass as Snake Plissken in the sci-fi flick set in the far flung future of 1997. For the people who have not seen this (and shame on you!) Manhatten Island has been turned into a giant penal colony surrounded by walls. Air force one crashed within the city and the president is captured. The police offer snake a pardon in order to rescue the pres and put two time release explosives in his neck to make sure he doesn't do a runner.

The countdown gives the film a real sense of urgency and the scenes of ruined Manhatten and the cannibal tribes living in the sewers are pretty creepy however the film also has a great sense of humour, throughout the film people keep meeting snake who know who he is and keep saying "I thought you were dead". The film also has Ernest Borgnine as Cabby, Harry Dean Stanton as Brain, Adrienne Barbeau as his lady and pre-scientology Issac Hayes as Chef.

Still one of my personal favorites.
Old 2nd July 2015, 07:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Escape from New York

The film also has Ernest Borgnine as Cabby, Harry Dean Stanton as Brain, Adrienne Barbeau as his lady and pre-scientology Issac Hayes as Chef.
I am pretty sure he played 'The Duke of New York City', not the head of a school cafeteria!

Like this? Share it using the links below!