Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2015, 07:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Poltergoose

I am about to watch the Poltergeist Remake, wish me luck!
J Harker likes this.
Old 9th July 2015, 09:27 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Not a film but just watched this the man just oozes cool. Fantastic actor.

Old 10th July 2015, 11:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched Exorcism (1974, JF) with the comm.
I get the feeling that the interviewer had pissed Jess off at some point, as he seems to be very short with some of his answers.....

Dug out my auld Rank VHS of Gregorys Girl (1980, BF)
The coming-of-age film as far as I'm concerned.
Admittedly some of the teachers dialogue would be a total no-no now, but tis still less cringeworthy than Love Thy Nigg*r imo cough!!!

"...That's no how ye spell Caracas anyhow......"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th July 2015, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

First viewing of

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550812.198447.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550823.669778.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550832.605200.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550840.497833.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550849.074544.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436550857.980806.jpg

:lol :

9/10

This film is a prime example of movie sins I would much rather watch something like this, which I will get more fun from than movies that are considered classics godfather, citizen Kane etc.

Last edited by trebor8273; 10th July 2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10th July 2015, 06:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

VENUS DROWNING – Do you like the films of Andrew Parkinson? Maybe you've seen 'I, Zombie', or 'Dead Creatures', both of which wander into strange territory where the social realism of Mike Leigh meets genre nastiness. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but for me they make for wonderfully downbeat retorts to the usual low budget horror fodder, marked as it often is by a reliance on the overt and the obvious... not every cannibal zombie flick would bother to tackle the ennui of some depressed but ravenous-for-human-flesh chicks living on a council estate (a la 'Dead Creatures'). 'Venus Drowning', made in 2006 but only just recently released on DVD, adds to this cannon of down-at-heel but surreal Brit bleakness. It's about a woman who, following an unsuccessful suicide attempt, relocates to the seaside town where she grew up, where she spends quite a lot of time soul searching and going on long, introspective walks by the sea. During one such meander, she finds an beached organism which looks weirdly like a foetus. Back home, the 'foetus' is shown to have odd properties ie exudes a seemingly orgasm – inducing slime. Her mate, a cabbie and some tentacles are all soon involved in a scenario where the maternal meets the ickily erotic (don't reach for the hair shirt just yet, it's all very subdued). Truthfully, I didn't dig 'Venus Drowning' as much as his previous two flicks, although conceptually it notches up the freakiness. I can see why it's been touted as 'The Brood meets Liquid Sky', although both of these latter films are more beguiling, more mysterious. That's not to say that 'Venus Drowning' doesn't deliver on many levels. It's a curiosity for sure, and in my mind represents the point where the pilot for a new Channel 4 soap based on tragic young people morphs Frank Henenlotter's 'Brain Damage' into its own maudlin contours. I guess for me it could've done with being a bit more cryptic and aloof. It's not exactly blunt or obvious, but there is a flatness. As I write this, I feel I'm being a bit pernickety. It's still more interesting and imaginative than most of what passes for horror product, whether indie or mainstream. I wanted to watch it again after it finished, and I don't really feel that way about many of the films I see. It's definitely worth catching, as are 'I, Zombie' and 'Dead Creatures', films by a lo-fi Brit auteur.
Old 10th July 2015, 06:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Terminator Genisys last night

Despite some good moments and decent acting, very mediocre overall with really unconvincing CGI at points.

5/10

Gonna watch Hammer's Paranoiac (1963) tonight.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 10th July 2015, 11:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After watching Paranoiac I have to, say Freddie Francis doesn't impress me as a director.
Old 11th July 2015, 10:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Stranglers of Bombay last night, a 1959 Hammer flick based (probably loosely) on the real-life story of the British clash with the deranged Thuggee cult (also featured in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, fact fans!) in India. Rather good actually, and very amusing to not only have the villain from the Troughton Who story Tomb of the Cybermen as the leader of the cult, but his head henchman is the Master himself, Roger Delgado! That was a pretty decent flick with some disturbing and tense moments. It also had a fight between a cobra and a mongoose, which is not something I've ever seen before!
Old 12th July 2015, 02:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ted (2012)

3/10

How this film has 67% on RT and the Guardian voted it as the 2nd best film of it's year is mindboggling to me. All I can say is that a lot of people can't see shit when it's staring them in the face.

Death Machine (1994)

6/10
Old 12th July 2015, 02:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

I thought Ted was absolutely dreadful.

Like this? Share it using the links below!