Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2015, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE GUEST – Like 'You're Next', like so many recent cool, self-conscious horror / thriller / genre items, Adam Wingard's 'The Guest' is very much about the play of images, surfaces, textures and references. What do I mean by that? Well, it's shot to perfection, frame after frame carrying the weight of classic Carpenter, whilst the synthesiser soundtrack sounds like the eighties beamed in from the future (which is I guess what 'now' sounds like). It's a kind of cinema that hits the visual cortex rather than those bits of the brain which are more bothered with meaning and sense, which is good job, because the plot becomes increasingly derailed as it trundles on. Downton Abbey guy plays an honourable discharge who worms his way into the household of a family whose son died in combat. He's only too happy to help the family's youngest in his struggle against the high school bullies, and takes a shine to the household's indie chick sister, to the point of murdering her drug dealer mates and fitting up her boyfriend. Yes, those steely good looks and that unflappable manner had to conceal an utterly remorseless psychopathic predator, didn't they? Turns out it all has something to do with a top secret military experiment that went wrong for the purposes of latter day B-cinema, but we never really find out what really happened, and by the time the hokey red mist in a hall-of-mirrors showdown comes round, chances are you'll have pegged it all as an exercise in pop-corn stylistics and won't care about a sensible resolution. I'm not moaning about this, because I NEVER care about movies making sense. I mean look at most of the stuff I review on here, for christ's sake. I'd be a hypocrite if I were to have a go at 'The Guest' as being somehow empty and a bit barren because of its lack of depth and emphasis on looking good. Take Winding-Refn – he does basically the same kind of thing, and people think he's dead ace. 'The Guest' can't quite scale those heights of neon lit moodiness, and neither is it as good as 'You're Next', for my money. But it is a highly entertaining example of the kind of really slick, well made genre film which is becoming increasingly visible and palatable to a mainstream audience.
Cracking review as ever Frankie. I tried posting my thoughts on The Guest a few weeks back but i just couldn't seem to find the right words. You've pretty much said exactly what i was thinking.
It reminded me a lot of Drive, though nowhere near as good.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I seem to be at odds with everyone with my reviews at the moment so i might as well say i preferred The Guest to any of Refn's moody stariness.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I seem to be at odds with everyone with my reviews at the moment so i might as well say i preferred The Guest to any of Refn's moody stariness.
I certainly preferred The Guest to Your Vest,which came across as a hateful mean spirited luv letter to all that is crass in modern horror movies,full of unlike able characters and not a single gorilla in sight,it made me so angry I immediately bought the daily mail and threw it at the telly.

Old 14th July 2015, 07:47 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I certainly preferred The Guest to Your Vest,which came across as a hateful mean spirited luv letter to all that is crass in modern horror movies,full of unlike able characters and not a single gorilla in sight,it made me so angry I immediately bought the daily mail and threw it at the telly.
Were you disappointed by the clothing choices as well, or was that a typo?
Old 14th July 2015, 09:19 AM
Cult Veteran

I watched 42nd Street Memories on Sunday afternoon and it was really interesting and informative, it did make me jealous I wasn't there, but also kind of glad I wasn't as it looked like a hell hole but with non-stop movies that today we all love!

Might watch Anthro tonight, but it depends on how bored I am
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th July 2015, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched 42nd Street Memories on Sunday afternoon and it was really interesting and informative, it did make me jealous I wasn't there, but also kind of glad I wasn't as it looked like a hell hole but with non-stop movies that today we all love!

Might watch Anthro tonight, but it depends on how bored I am
Coma Alert! Coma Alert!

Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2015, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Coma Alert! Coma Alert!

I get told off for long sentences in my assignments at uni, I can't help it! I have an inner dialogue and I just type it

...excuse me I thought you said Comma haha
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th July 2015, 10:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I also watched it thinking what a fascinating place it was and how amazing it would have been to spent years hanging around and watching terrific films – and lousy ones – all day, every day. '42nd Street Pete' is a great character with so many wonderful stories and recollections that it almost romanticises somewhere which, at times, must have been intimidating, disgusting and dangerous.

It's a great documentary with so many 'I wish I was there' moments.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Day Time Ended (1979, TVM, John 'Bud' Cardos)
In my never ending saga to watch every film made in 1979, this was recommended in the Alan Frank Sci Fi book that I picked up recently, so whilst semi-house sitting, I plundered my hosts youtube and there it was!

Jock Ewing and his cutesy family, including son Chris Mitchum, wife Dorothy Malone, some ex of Shatners (seriously) and the obligatory poppet played by one of the brats from The Amityville Horror. A new home awaits them, away from the hurly burly of modern life.....sadly due to a "triple supernova that happened 200 years ago", their day isn't going to be a cake walk ahem.

Chris has to work, so that takes care of him haha. The girl finds a strange glowing pyramid, which noone believes she has seen natch. The fun begins....

Whilst not the worst TVM I have ever seen, this is a real hotch potch genre wise. Ostensibly a sci fi flick, it has some stop motion monsters straight outta Harryhausen imo. The aliens seem to be kind etc, so it predates ET, but Cardos has no understanding of the word tension imo. So it's kinda flat. Plus the ending reeks of hippies

Requiem for A Vampire (1971, Jean Rollin)
One of Rollin's "straighter" films, this is still very dream like. The film starts in the middle of a chase, and it doesn't let up. This in Rollin's trademark semi
somnambulistic style, and not in any Raid style "let up". cough.
Our heroines (?) find a castle (which might be familiar to JR fans....), sadly it's not used by Saga. Plenty of raping occurs, which no doubt sent the BBFC into a tizzy at the time, though tis rather quaint by today's standards. The English track, whilst not the worst dubbing I've heard, won't be used again. Some things are better in French. See AVATLD also cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2015, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I get told off for long sentences in my assignments at uni, I can't help it! I have an inner dialogue and I just type it

...excuse me I thought you said Comma haha

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!