Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2015, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Dead Heads- a zombie comedy directed by the sons of Bart Pierce, who worked on the original Evil Dead film.
Basically, it's a tale of 2 coherent zombies who are trying to reunite one of them with his girlfriend during a zombie apocalypse.
I paid £2 for the blu ray from CEX and wasn't expecting it to be any good, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It had plenty of funny moments throughout, enough gore for my tastes and it was overall well made.
Definitely recommended for fans of films such as Shaun of the Dead or Cockneys Vs Zombies
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th July 2015, 05:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Dead Heads- a zombie comedy directed by the sons of Bart Pierce, who worked on the original Evil Dead film.
Basically, it's a tale of 2 coherent zombies who are trying to reunite one of them with his girlfriend during a zombie apocalypse.
I paid £2 for the blu ray from CEX and wasn't expecting it to be any good, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It had plenty of funny moments throughout, enough gore for my tastes and it was overall well made.
Definitely recommended for fans of films such as Shaun of the Dead or Cockneys Vs Zombies
I thought it was terrible. I actually dozed off after about half an hour.

I'll try it again before ditching it though.
Old 18th July 2015, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was terrible. I actually dozed off after about half an hour.

I'll try it again before ditching it though.

I thought I would, as I said, but I found myself laughing at various points. I certainly enjoyed it more than Zombie Hunter with Danny Trejo, which I never finished and sold back to CEX within 24 hours of purchase!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th July 2015, 05:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I certainly enjoyed it more than Zombie Hunter with Danny Trejo,
Bloody hell Rik. Even i'd steer clear of that.
Rik likes this.
Old 18th July 2015, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bloody hell Rik. Even i'd steer clear of that.

I wish I had, absolutely horrendous!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th July 2015, 05:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I wish I had, absolutely horrendous!
100% NOTED.
Rik likes this.
Old 18th July 2015, 06:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
To The Devil a Daughter (1976)

Much more decent than I thought it would be considering its reputation.

7/10.
I really rate this one too.
Old 18th July 2015, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really rate this one too.
And me.
Old 18th July 2015, 08:02 PM
Active Cultist

Simon Killer - terrible title, interesting movie, 100 odd minutes inside the head of a real scumbag, an amoral chancer who casually ruins lives without a second thought. Some good choices elevate this above the crowd - the synch of soundtrack with central characters I-pod - wish they'd taken this further, underplayed convincing performances all round, avoiding the gore route to offer a more insidious way of freaking you out. Compelling little film, I liked it a lot.

Sin City 2 - A Dame To Kill For - credits rolling as I type - I absolutely hated this film - surely one of the worst scripts ever written - a load of cliched adolescent shite masquerading as 'hard boiled' married to an incomprehensible plot which never clicks or involves or even makes any sense. Frank Miller, as any comic reader will tell you, has well and truly lost it and here's horrible proof. Main reason for my hatred though? The sheer talent involved - the wonderful visuals, the top notch actors, Eva Greens naked body, Powers Booth 's craggy mug in glorious B&W - all this gold wasted - sob.

Appointment WIth Danger - An example of what Miller's exploiting - a 1950s crime noir which gets by on snappy dialogue, classy cinematography and star power (pocket dynamo Alan Ladd) - there's not an animated multiple decapitation by levitating Asian swordstress in sight and the picture's all the better for it. Special mention for Jack Webb bashing his future Dragnet partner Harry Morgan to death with the bronze cast of his estranged, beloved infant son's bootees - now that's nasty!

When Strangers Marry (1944) - If, like me, you love the Robson/Lewton horror The 7th Victim, you'll love this. Once again innocent Kim Hunter is adrift in a hellish shadowy NY. Once again Lou Lubin ( the PI) is one of the lost souls she meets. At least this time she has a pipe puffing square (Robert Mitchum) looking out for her as she discovers her new husband is a murdering psycho - but wait a minute, Robert Mitchum?... A great creepy little noir, which does the business in 67 tight minutes - just pretend the last 2 didn't happen.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 18th July 2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 18th July 2015, 08:30 PM
Cultist in Training

I've watched a bunch of hammer horror films recently. Not because Chris. Lee died- it just turned out to be the case. I got bitten by the bug. I saw Frankenstein Created Woman, Horror of Frankenstein, The Mummy.

I also saw Island of Death (Non hammer horror). That one was good too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!