Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2015, 09:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As I have most of the Shameless collection I thought I would give them a Sunday Night viewing:

#1 New York Ripper (1982) Seen it a couple of times and for some reason never remember who the killer is so kind of come to it fresh each time.

#2 Phantom of Death (1988) First time seeing this and although it wasn't a bad movie it did plod along a bit for me. (at least it had Edwige in it)
Old 19th July 2015, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Stolen Face (1952)

A plastic surgeon falls in love with a concert pianist whilst taking time off at a country retreat. The relationship is doomed as she has to tour Europe but the surgeon, crazy with love, recreates her features on a badly scarred female convict who he promptly marries. A sure recipe for disaster.

Early Hammer Noir directed by Terence Fisher, and featuring fading US box office stars Paul Henreid and Lizbeth Scott. The film is well acted and Scott has a whale of a time playing a dual role, especially excelling as the conniving ex-con as she falls back into her bad old ways.

Beginning sedately the film picks up pace and in the end comes across as a reasonably exciting, well executed b-movie thriller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolenface-poster.jpg (78.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th July 2015, 10:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Turned off Maggie halfway through last night. Boring as all hell. A zombie movie done as a clumsy metaphor for a terminal illness, and every bit as silly and dull as that sounds. One of Arnie's worst, and easily the worst of his comeback films. Completely pointless and agonisingly tedious.
Old 20th July 2015, 07:51 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Eden and After (1970)
Worth listening to Tim Lucas Commentaries.

Less sophisticated viewing for me....

Nemesis 4.

Sue Price turns up again as the muscle bound Cyborg killer. Here she seems to have made her way back to the future, the war between Cyborgs and humans has ended and Alex is now working as a hit-woman for Andrew Divoffs mafiosi. After she kills the wrong man a massive bounty is placed on her head so she sits about naked contemplating death as various killers turn up to claim the prize.
A pretty odd film considering the previous films, this one is about 70+ minutes of Sue Price having lengthy meandering conversations with various killers while naked before killing them and being haunted by the specter of death. Most of it is set in one or two streets of some unnamed eastern European town. Its... interesting but I would have preferred more action.

Cyborg.

On an Albert Pyun kick after all the Nemesis films, Decided to give this early Van Damme/cannon films effort a go. Not Van Dammes best, the action stuff is well handled by Pyun who has a real flair for action scenes. Van Damme is tracking a violent gang who killed his lover and took her young sister and is now crossing the country with a Cyborg who might have a cure for the virus that has almost wiped out mankind.
The film boasts some great sets and a nice apocalyptic setting and as I said previously, Pyun can really bring it with the action but the film as a whole doesn't always work as well as it should. In terms of Van Dammes films its better than some of his modern crap but no Hard Target.

Death warrant.

Seeing as the box set has 2 more films from the muscles from Brussels so decided to give them all a watch...
Death warrant is one of Van Damme's best, not Hard Target (directors cut) good but still very entertaining. Here he plays a Mountie working on loan to the LAPD working undercover to bring down a serial killer. After gunning the killer down, he's asked to go into a maximum security prison to find out who is killing the inmates. Inside his ability to kick ass help keeps him alive and he discovers a conspiracy that involves the guards and possibly even the governor.
Death Warrant is buckets of fun. Serial killers, Prison riots, shankings and more. It's probably miles off from real prison but its still great. It's well paced, shot and refuses to get dull. Its definitely in my top 5 Van Damme films.

Double Impact.

Van damme plays twin brothers separated at birth but encouraged by Geoffrey Lewis to team up, head to Hong Kong and fight the gang boss who killed their parents. Its easy to tell the 'good' twin and 'bad' twin as one wears pastels, the other all in black. when it comes to killing however, both are pretty good at kicking ass and the film is full of gun fights and kicks to the head.
double impact has some pacing issues but is still entertaining. The twins effect is ropey in a few places but actually holds up for the most part. It has perhaps one of the most gratuitous sex scenes I've seen (not that I'm complaining, the lead actress has an incredible rack) and is good solid fun.

Incidentally the blu-ray release of this 3 film set is still stupidly cheap.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...3&s=dvd&sr=1-3

Day the earth caught fire.

After wall to wall action for two days I decided to slow things down somewhat with this classic from Val Guest. Nuclear testing knocks the earth off its access and a hard drinking journalist discovers an Alarming secret the Government is hiding, that the earth is heading towards the sun. As the planet heats up and the water evaporates the world governments must work together to save mankind.
shot in a realistic, and at times almost documentary style with a dedication to as much realism as possible. While the science of the film can have holes poked through it Guest manages to sell the premise brilliantly and as the film progresses things become unbearably tense.
The BFI restoration looks astonishing and provides some fantastic bonus materials. If you haven't shelled out for this already then I highly recommend this as one of the best science fiction disaster films produced in the UK.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
LADY TERMINATOR – With all the recent Terminator talk going on, how could I resist pulling out 'Lady Terminator', acme of T-101 rip offs and certainly a film from which James Cameron could learn a thing or two. An anthropologist goes looking for evidence of a local legend. Her travels take her underwater, where she ends up being possessed by an ancient spirit with a retractable penis-biting snake. Returning to the mainland, she pulls on some biker leathers, grabs a machine gun, and goes looking for the recipient of a hundred year old curse, an eighties pop star. Loads of people get shot. An incredibly wooden police officer is called upon. Sex ends in blood spray and (off screen) penis-biting-by-retractable-snake. Endless volleys of bullets resound in hotels, shopping malls and police stations. Lasers shoot from a mangled hag's eyes – how VHS is that? Finally, “Shit blow up”. LT is a bit like a film that might only exist in a dream, except it's real (apparently). It's an Indonesian exploitation film from the late eighties which sells itself both as an exploration of indigenous mythology (the back story is 'The Legend of the South Sea Queen') and as an action sci-fi extravaganza. It can only really pretend to be either. The Terminator style bits aren't done well, and don't make sense. They're entirely out of context. But they're there. They kind of sum up the credo of 'Lady Terminator' as a whole. Because, make no mistake, although it's not ludicrously cheap looking, LT is certainly a bad, bad movie. Acting, dialogue, editing, pace, feel and concept – all awful. But it's an awfulness beamed in from an eighties wonderland, a rock video world of perms, dry ice and soft focus neon. So it has that uncanny dreaminess born of stilted, fractured badness unfolding against those unreal textures. It can't hope to be a 'Miami Connection' or a 'Samurai Cop' in terms of movie psychosis. It's just not up there. It's in a not too distant orbit though, perhaps nearer that part of the movie cosmos where Bruno Mattei and Godfrey Ho sail by, beaming messages no-one really understands into a black, endless void. Woah, I'm gonna have to stop this celestial bollocks, it's only a movie. Come down. Say something sensible. But what sensible thing is there to be said about this eminently not-sensible movie? Apart from, that is – see it, if you haven't already. The Terminator series might boast objectively better cinema, but in some strange way I prefer 'Lady Terminator', which pushes buttons the likes of Cameron couldn't even find.
S
O
L
D

keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th July 2015, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I got that (cheaper than buying 4 dvd separately) Hellraiser collection BD that has 4-7 on it, and watched Bloodline yesterday. I got about 50 minutes into it before I realised I had seen it before

It was pretty good to be honest, the wraparound story in the space station was a bit hokey but I enjoyed the toy-maker through the ages aspect of it! Good to see the little kid from The Shining mini series in it, the girl who looks like Meryl Streep from Freddy's Revenge and Adam Scott!

Doug sounded like posh scouser though which put me off a bit

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th July 2015, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437421544.415074.jpg

Absolutely hilarious one of the funniest and best written comedy's of all time that easily makes it into my top five comedys. Thanks to its great script,direction and characters. Part a love letter to the old earling studio comedy's, which is not surprising as the director Charles Crichton directed the lavender hill mob amongst other films. 10/10

Next up one of my favourite horrors and the film that got me into my love for the genre.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437421904.544314.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th July 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 20th July 2015, 08:29 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Turned off Maggie halfway through last night. Boring as all hell. A zombie movie done as a clumsy metaphor for a terminal illness, and every bit as silly and dull as that sounds. One of Arnie's worst, and easily the worst of his comeback films. Completely pointless and agonisingly tedious.
I couldn't agree more, i really couldn'y fathom how the film got such kudos.
Old 20th July 2015, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict

Just been to see Ant-man.

If you like Marvel films then go see it. It really works, I hated the character in the comics but found myself really enjoying it. Paul Rudd is great as Scott Lang, Michael Douglas is great as Hank Pym and we also get a great turn from Michael Pena. The miniaturisation stuff is excellent, somehow they managed to retain the charm of the Bert I Gordon/land of the giants stuff while delivering great effects which is a real achievement. Best of all no Alcoholism or domestic abuse as they ignored my proposal to have Abel Ferrara tackle the source material. (Marvel fans might get that last joke)
Old 20th July 2015, 10:12 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Just been to see Ant-man.

If you like Marvel films then go see it. It really works, I hated the character in the comics but found myself really enjoying it. Paul Rudd is great as Scott Lang, Michael Douglas is great as Hank Pym and we also get a great turn from Michael Pena. The miniaturisation stuff is excellent, somehow they managed to retain the charm of the Bert I Gordon/land of the giants stuff while delivering great effects which is a real achievement. Best of all no Alcoholism or domestic abuse as they ignored my proposal to have Abel Ferrara tackle the source material. (Marvel fans might get that last joke)
Oh splendid, thats a visit to the cinema confirmed for me tomorrow then!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!